U2 to RETIRE?! According to Larry..a strong possibility + Bono Fears U2 Will Split

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono Fears U2 Will Split Up
March 26 2009

Bono fears U2 will split up. The singer says he and his bandmates - guitarist The Edge, drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and bassist Adam Clayton - are determined to enjoy their upcoming world tour because they fear it could be their last.

He said: "We want to play for each other as much as we want to play for the crowd this time. You just don't know how long you are going to be doing this. When we walk out on stage, the hairs on people's necks go up - but what people don't know is that the hairs on our necks go up too."

Larry is concerned their fans won't want to part with their money to watch them, even though tickets have been priced reasonably.

He said: "Will we sell it out? Who knows? Will the economic situation have an impact? Probably. But that's not going to stop us."

Larry recently admitted he wants the group to retire while they are still at the top.

He said: "There will be a time when it's like, 'It's time to go.' I would like that to be on a high when you're still achieving as opposed to the curve down. That'll be sad for me. I think it'll be a more dignified time to go."

It's all over todays news :hmm:

Pffff

Let's just enjoy the upcoming worldtour. I can't see them either split nor quit when they are still playing the way they are.

March 26 2009

Bono fears U2 will split up. The singer says he and his bandmates - guitarist The Edge, drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and bassist Adam Clayton - are determined to enjoy their upcoming world tour because they fear it could be their last.

He said: "We want to play for each other as much as we want to play for the crowd this time. You just don't know how long you are going to be doing this. When we walk out on stage, the hairs on people's necks go up - but what people don't know is that the hairs on our necks go up too."

Larry is concerned their fans won't want to part with their money to watch them, even though tickets have been priced reasonably.

He said: "Will we sell it out? Who knows? Will the economic situation have an impact? Probably. But that's not going to stop us."

Larry recently admitted he wants the group to retire while they are still at the top.

He said: "There will be a time when it's like, 'It's time to go.' I would like that to be on a high when you're still achieving as opposed to the curve down. That'll be sad for me. I think it'll be a more dignified time to go."

It's all over todays news :hmm:

OH NOSE!

neus1.jpg

This is stupid. Some journalist just took a quote from bono and larry turned it into somthing else. Bono said he just wants to make this a great tour pretty much & Larry just wants them to retire on a good note. Ugh and this is the field i want to go into.

I think we can all agree that Bono sticking his nose into this does anything but lend credence to the story. I feel relieved, actually.

The fact that Adam says in one of the new interviews that he isnt even thinking about the end, just shows how much out of context these stories always end up.

I have heard this rumor/quote/comment every single album and tour since Achtung Baby. 18 years later we have 5 more albums and world tours. :hmm:

Honestly, I don't think they will retire until one of them are physically unable to continue. I think world tours will stop at some point but I think they will still play live until they can't physically do it any longer. They enjoy what they are doing too much to just stop unless there is a serious reason to stop. Just my opinion.

kiss trick

This is how the u2 marketing machine guarantees concert ticket sales, bring up the old "our last tour trick", this is old kiss trick.

OOOOOhhhhhh, let's paste some quotes together and sensationalize what they're saying so people will read my dribble!!!!! As Gordon Ramsey F OFF with you!!!! They'll retire some day, but they're not going to split up for godsakes, they're still trying to make the sound they hear and they're still on top. Record setting sellouts for the tour, #1 album in 30+ countries, time to split up after this, please!!!!!

Anybody else think it's a bit of a marketing ploy to ensure high demand of concert tickets? Larry's quite a shrewd guy for a businessman. He gives very limited autographs in public events. There are quite a few of us waiting outside the Letterman show who are blessed with getting Adam's, Bono's and Edge's sigs on our various albums, posters, scarves, etc. But only a handful managed to get Larry's to complete our collection. He politely said he's not signing after the first night. And now, all he had to do was get the word out like they are going to retire soon and that this will be their last tour. And people would pay just about anything to get their hands on a ticket on what could possibly be their last tour...

I wonder how much Larry's autograph would be worth if sold on eBay? It would be rare, wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom