The What In The Fuck Did They Do To Crazy Tonight thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the way it's reworked makes it a pounding rock song comparable to zoo station or discotheque.

as much as i loathe this version, i can somewhat understand if you're a big dance / remix fan why you like this version, but this is the type of comment i can't fathom.

we are not listening to the same song. there is nothing 'pounding rock song' about a band playing to a backing tape of a remix- where they play very little over the top of it. adam's bass line has real potential for a 'pounding rock song' but as it is now, its nowhere close. edge plays virtually nothing, and larry's almost non existent on the majority of the track.

as much as i loathe this version, i can somewhat understand if you're a big dance / remix fan why you like this version, but this is the type of comment i can't fathom.

we are not listening to the same song. there is nothing 'pounding rock song' about a band playing to a backing tape of a remix- where they play very little over the top of it. adam's bass line has real potential for a 'pounding rock song' but as it is now, its nowhere close. edge plays virtually nothing, and larry's almost non existent on the majority of the track.

ok, i listened again and it's not as hard as i thought it was on first listen, but it's definitely in the mould of discotheque which isn't dance/trance by any stretch. play it a bit harder and they've got a great stadium song.

Actually the fact Bono couldn't say in time signature for more than three seconds gave the song a slightly bizarre comic element that I rather enjoyed ;-)

listened to the boot and watched the Youtube clips-- needs a little refining, but i still love it!! wish they'd go into Discotheque or EBTTRT remix right after it, actually... :applaud:

i think The Edge will be more prominent on this version as the tour goes on. i think he could do some great slide work after the chorus leading back into the verses.

Um, I think Bono said they were applying for the job of best ROCK band in the world. Didn't say anything about club music, dance trance shit.

'Rock' (whatever that is) has been shagging 'dance' music (whatever that is) for the better part of four decades now, and U2 have been fusing the two for the better part of two decades. It's a large part of why they are one of the best ROCK bands in the world. If they'd just re-recorded JT half a dozen times over the last 20 years, it would be kinda cool because they'd be playing in 2000 seat theaters now, but on the flipside, you can't fit a Claw in those.

i think a lot of this comes down to how much you like the album version. i personally consider Crazy Tonight the worst song on the album. i don't hate it, but i would say it's last on my play count. i consider it U2 by the numbers.

the U2 i love is the U2 that stretches the imagination, hence why i prefer their 90's material over their 80's and 00's, with NLOTH and UF being exceptions. the live version of Crazy Tonight once again stretches the imagination. it's chaotic, it's mad, it's visually stunning, and it fits perfectly after Vertigo.

Whatever it was that they played in Barcelona, it just needs to die a painful dead in a fire.

Maybe if Bono had pulled Paul McGuinness on stage and danced with him while both wearing make-up and straw hats, it would have been mildly amusing.

Whatever it was that they played in Barcelona, it just needs to die a painful dead in a fire.

Maybe if Bono had pulled Paul McGuinness on stage and danced with him while both wearing make-up and straw hats, it would have been mildly amusing.

Amen! (except the straw hat part)

They butchered it. After Letterman performance I was looking forward hearing it live on the tour but now not so much.. :doh:

Because you have both equally bad taste. :tongue:

Just a note, Today BOTH versions of CT have been rehearsed. First the normal version, then the remix.

Cool. At least the old version is still being considered.

I for one love the version they were playing on the pre tour -- sounded joyous -- this version stripped all of the heart and lilt from it. Had they never played that version live, I could probably stomach this version, but since they did, its hard not to miss it.

Personally I have NO problem with them or anyone tinkering or even fully reinventing songs -- anyone who follows Dylan has to or they'd go mad -- but it's just a simple case of sometimes it works, sometimes not. Go ahead and keep rehearsing this new version, but how about playing it live when Edge has a part to it?

And this has nothing to do with my feelings about dance music or Pop, which I'd love for them to play some stuff off that record.

Cool. At least the old version is still being considered.

I for one love the version they were playing on the pre tour -- sounded joyous -- this version stripped all of the heart and lilt from it. Had they never played that version live, I could probably stomach this version, but since they did, its hard not to miss it.

Personally I have NO problem with them or anyone tinkering or even fully reinventing songs -- anyone who follows Dylan has to or they'd go mad -- but it's just a simple case of sometimes it works, sometimes not. Go ahead and keep rehearsing this new version, but how about playing it live when Edge has a part to it?

And this has nothing to do with my feelings about dance music or Pop, which I'd love for them to play some stuff off that record.

I feel exactly the same way. Joyous is the perfect word to describe the album version.

I think the buoyant nature of the album version is what finally got me into it, I didn't like it at first. The remix has a darker flavor that I'm not sure about yet.

Having said that I'm kindof curious to see how it came out the second night (remix) and if it's improved. They could give it a few more kicks at the can.

Crazy is the song that I felt would give Bono the most trouble vocally this tour, and he does struggle a bit with it in the first show...hopefully he'll get warmed up and it'll be great!

So the word is the 2nd (original) Crazy was filmed properly, for a clip?

I’m not a fan of the album version. I don’t think it’s bad by any stretch, just lifeless. I’d a dull-ish MOR pop-rock song, which is exactly what I’m hoping they finally do away with one day soon. I do agree that the promo live versions (Letterman especially) were fantastic, but also agree with those who suspect the close quarters helped, so it will be interesting to see how it went down in a stadium.

Back
Top Bottom