The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is nice to see Ortiz regaining his pop as October approaches. Hey even JD Drew has had 2 decent games in a row. Now if Manny can get back in the lineup.

Hewson said:
It is nice to see Ortiz regaining his pop as October approaches. Hey even JD Drew has had 2 decent games in a row. Now if Manny can get back in the lineup.

I understand Manny was putting on quite the show in BP on Wednesday...obliques are tricky so I'm glad they're taking their time with it, but having him back will be awesome.

So what do you guys think about the ALDS formats this year, where best record can choose a longer or shorter series and have a chance to use their top 2 starters twice each, on full rest? Huge advantage for Cleveland IMO, if I was the Tribe I'd be seriously pushing to catch the Sox. Getting 4 starts from CC & Fausto would be huge for them.

I think if the Sox hang on to best record they'll go with the shorter series and use the 4th starter, depending on whether Wake gets back on track. That would leave the Yanks in the other series with a chance to use Wang & Pettitte 4 times though, which would help them.

yesterday's nationals/marlins game

PH2007091202876.jpg

No spoken words said:

Aint that the sad truth. Fucking Halos.

What is it with the Yankees & Angels? It's uncanny...though the Yanks actually did OK against them earlier in the season, but when they played them out west not so much. What was really strange is the series out west was when the Yankees were hot, while the other series was earlier in the season when they still kind of stunk.

When I was younger the team that gave the Sox fits was the Royals. F**king Royals...every time the Sox played in KC Willie Wilson would have like 13 triples in one game, they'd lose another on a walkoff hit from Brett or White or McRae, and then they'd face Gubicza or Saberhagen and lose 2-1 with Quisenberry (RIP) getting the save. I used to dread the 2 series in KC every year...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yesterday's nationals/marlins game

PH2007091202876.jpg

That is just ridiculous, and they're really not that bad...though they'd have to be better than they are to make me want to sweat my b@lls off in the South Florida heat...that team needs a dome or a contraction.

CTU2fan said:

What is it with the Yankees & Angels? It's uncanny...though the Yanks actually did OK against them earlier in the season, but when they played them out west not so much. What was really strange is the series out west was when the Yankees were hot, while the other series was earlier in the season when they still kind of stunk.

The Angels were healthier in the 2nd series than they were in the 1st.

That said, the Halos will have their hands full with the Yankees in the playoffs. I don't care about the whole "Angels own the Yankees" bit. The Yankees are like 60-30 since early June, better than both the Angels and Red Sox in that time frame. The Yanks' offense is rolling and pretty scary. Plus, the Angels can beat good right-handers but Scioscia throws a weaker lineup at left-handers (Robb Quinlan instead of Casey Kotchman and then he'll probably put Juan Rivera or Reggie Willits in there, too), which is why the Yanks will win game 1 with Pettitte.

I'm not a Yankees fan, but Dear New York Yankees: please kick the snot out of the Angels in the post season.

Thank you.

CTU2fan said:

When I was younger the team that gave the Sox fits was the Royals. F**king Royals...every time the Sox played in KC Willie Wilson would have like 13 triples in one game, they'd lose another on a walkoff hit from Brett or White or McRae, and then they'd face Gubicza or Saberhagen and lose 2-1 with Quisenberry (RIP) getting the save. I used to dread the 2 series in KC every year...

Angels have a winning record vs. NY since Sciosca took over, and have bounced them from the playoffs twice. I saw 4 Yankee/Angel playoff games in my time in LA, and the Yanks lost 3, including the final game of their 2005 season.

I do think it's the stadium, but I'm not sure even with an indoor park if the Marlins could ever do really well down there. Tampa has a dome and they don't draw (though granted they've been pretty bad). FL is really a football state...

they need a small, 35,000 seat stadium, similar to PNC Park in pittsburgh, and it needs to be right dead smack in downtown Miami, not on the outskirts of town like Dolphin Stadium is.

and of course they need to not have a fire sale every 5 years.

perhaps the outgoing twins GM can be hired to save the marlins.

perhaps the outgoing twins GM can be hired to save the marlins.

The Twins fired their GM? How did I miss that? I've always thought Ryan was an excellent GM, especially for a penny-pinching club like Minnesota. Marlins would be a logical fit.

Did anyone see Damon last night? Fan offered him $20 (CDN) for a flyball, he took it but then gave the money to another fan. I thought it was cute. I know a lot of Sox fans hate Damon but I don't...they don't win the WS without Damon so I love the guy, Yankee or not.

Clemens, however, can fuck off & die :)

he wasn't fired, he stepped down.

and baseball survived for many a year without a florida market (other than spring training) and could easily survive if the Marlins were to move to, say, san antonio or las vegas. but if they were to stay in florida, they would need a new, small stadium in downtown miami. or orlando even. but sitting in a 70,000 seat converted football stadium on the outskirts of miami is accomplishing nothing. even if they get 20,000, let alone 200, the place still looks empty.

OK that makes more sense. Hopefully the new guy will want to trade Justin Morneau for Coco Crisp...

and baseball survived for many a year without a florida market (other than spring training) and could easily survive if the Marlins were to move to, say, san antonio or las vegas. but if they were to stay in florida, they would need a new, small stadium in downtown miami. or orlando even. but sitting in a 70,000 seat converted football stadium on the outskirts of miami is accomplishing nothing. even if they get 20,000, let alone 200, the place still looks empty.
Downtown Miami is not the safest place in the world.
They need a new stadium, but not downtown. Dolphin stadium or whatever its called now is in a very easy to access spot, basically you exit the highway right onto the 50 yard line. But its well out of Miami.

The Marlins should find a spot around North Miami Beach area, nicer, safer than downtown Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom