The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he really hasn't been as spectacular as met fans make him out to be... except for when he plays boston, of course :wink:

meanwhile...

capt.e55c33e7e40c424aadc69135ed86be79.braves_mets_baseball_nyeb104.jpg

M.V.P.

If I needed to win today, and needed a SS, I'd take Jeter, but if I were building a franchise, right now, you take Reyes. Reyes is electric, but, he aint Jeter yet.

Wright and Reyes, that does not suck, having those 2 for many years to come.

We were talking about the Yanks today, and if they make the post-season, what their rotation will be. Wang and Pettite are 1 and 2, and if Clemens can go, he's 3, but, who goes 4th? Hughes? Kennedy? Mussina? He's pitching in place of Clemens for now. If Clemens cannot go, you sort of have to get Mussina back in there. And, when the fuck did Abreu pass 90 RBI????

Headache in a Suitcase said:
he really hasn't been as spectacular as met fans make him out to be... except for when he plays boston, of course :wink:

Kazmir is 12-8 with a 3.65 ERA this year, playing on a bad team. Imagine what his numbers would be for the Mets this year, in the NL.

Kazmir is going to get even better if he just learns to throw strikes early in the count. His pitch counts are really high, so he has trouble making it out of the 6th, leaving his fate up to that bullpen. He's got a great slider, though, wow.

I was reading the other day that the Mariners' collapse of this season is one of the worst by a playoff contender in the last 50 years of baseball.

Hey, if you can't win the whole thing, you might as well go out and make your name known somehow, right?

SeattleVertigo said:
I was reading the other day that the Mariners' collapse of this season is one of the worst by a playoff contender in the last 50 years of baseball.

Not even close.

During 1962 and 1963, the Phillies began to climb back to respectability, and throughout the 1964 season, they seemed destined to make it to the World Series, with excellent performances from players such as rookie third baseman Dick Allen (called "Richie" in the news media of the time), starters Jim Bunning (obtained from the Detroit Tigers at the start of the season to shore up the pitching staff) and Chris Short, and star right fielder Johnny Callison. TV Guide went to press with a World Series preview that featured a photo of Connie Mack Stadium. However, from a 6½-game lead on the Cincinnati Reds with 12 games remaining in the season, Philadelphia collapsed in a 10-game losing streak (the first seven played at home). The crucial series came when the now second-place Phillies traveled to St. Louis to play the Cardinals after their losing home stand. They dropped the first game of the series to Bob Gibson by a 5-1 score, their eighth loss in a row, dropping them to third place. The Cardinals would sweep the three-game set and assume first place for good.

During that losing streak, there was a reference to "the ghost(?) of 1950," recalling that the 1950 Phillies had barely hung on to win the pennant. The 1964 Phillies managed to win their last two and held onto the hope of a tie with the Cardinals and Reds. The Cardinals had also stumbled, losing the first two in their final series to the lowly Mets. Had the Cardinals lost their final game, the resulting three-way tie would have forced an unprecedented "round-robin" playoff for the league title. That did not materialize though, as the Cardinals salvaged that last game against the Mets, to take the pennant (their first since 1946) with no playoff. The legendary choke would vilify Mauch (who was criticized for his handling of the pitching rotation) and haunt Philadelphia fans for years to come.

The "Phold," as it is known, is one of the most notable collapses in sports history, surmounted only by the Brooklyn Dodgers' memorable 13½-game fall to the New York Giants in 1951, and by the Boston Red Sox' loss of a 14-game lead to the New York Yankees in 1978. The Phillies remained competitive through the 1960s, but sank to the bottom of the standings by the start of the 1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Phillies#.22Phold.22_of_1964

Didn't the M's come from like 13 back and beat the Angels in a playoff in the 90s? 95 or 96, I'm too lazy to look it up...

CTU2fan said:
Didn't the M's come from like 13 back and beat the Angels in a playoff in the 90s? 95 or 96, I'm too lazy to look it up...

Yeah, 1995. That was an amazing season.

I know the Mariners' collapse isn't the worst ever, but it's up there.

Larry Stone, a great baseball writer for the Seattle Times, has some perspective.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsour...0070909&query=Larry+Stone+/+Baseball+reporter

Everybody was so excited in Seattle just a couple weeks ago. Now the wind is completely out of our sails.

Meh, it's football season, and the Seahawks could make noise.

We were watching the Sox/Yanks games at work....and I was like "This game has D-Ray bullpen collapse written all over it", and sure enough, it happened....not that it was all that bold of a prediction. Garbage team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom