The (RED) Thread - Discuss Products Only! (#2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what Walmart is like in my town too. I never go there. I like Target so much better.

In nyc gaps stuff is still around some. :)
I never seem to get to any Hallmark stores. I don';t know if I just pass them by and don't notice them, OR I don't pass any by.

I love the red or white tanks with the little abalone squared buttons arranged in a square. Nnniiccceee!!!

zu, you here?
I'll keep the PGP thread open to se if you're there after this!

don't see you-- i'm going to have a late lunch, hope to catch you later. :D

Um... I think I may have been mistaken. It may have been referring to the Survivor Gabon t-shirt... Sorry. :doh::reject:

Delurking for a minute...

I really can't imagine the regular Edun line being sold at Wal Mart.

I will say that for those who like Edun, but aren't independently wealthy (and who is nowadays), the line is a bit more accessible to mere mortals than when it first launched. On the website they have a weekly special where a men's and a women's item is marked down at least 50%. With some of the more expensive items, half off is still outside of my price range, but for the items that are say $120 or less, it can put the item within the reach of ordinary folk. This summer the specials included several tees which you could purchase for $25 each. That's not exactly dirt cheap, but within the realm of reason for those of us who can't afford to spend $50 or $60 on a t-shirt. Also they have an outlet section on the website that now includes the entire 2008 spring collection. The sale prices don't exactly wow you, but there are some decent markdowns.

Also tobi.com is a great place to purchase Edun. They have free shipping and ship very fast. They often have discount codes, and they usually mark down stuff that is out of season.

Other good sites are thegreenloop.com and revolveclothing.com. Revolve Clothing often has unadvertised coupon codes, so check retailmenot.com for codes before finalizing a purchase.

Anyway, I can't afford Edun's regular prices, but I've been able to acquire some tees and some jeans by using the above methods. Edun's tees are so soft and fit really well. I used to wear Old Navy tees, but after wearing Edun tees I don't know if I could go back. Also the jeans are worth saving up for. I particularly like the Sage Straight Leg jeans, which are now in the outlet section. They are the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn.

So I hope that information helps someone. As for Product RED, I seriously wonder how successful that venture has been. My Gap store sold RED items for a brief period, then marked everything down to the point that they were practically giving it away, then quit selling it altogether. I bought a severely marked down tee but wondered how much would be going to Africa in that circumstance.

Only one Hallmark store in my area carries the RED stuff and they have only the notecards in a few designs. No greeting cards.

I love the Julia Roberts tee, but $125 for a t-shirt is insane, no matter what good cause is involved. If it were $40 like the Edun ONE shirts or even $50 I might think about it, but $125, forget it. Actually for me it would be $125 + $7.50 shipping, since I live in one of those red states where Dillards is considered posh. No Armani around here.

Maybe RED has been more successful in other areas, but in my area I get the impression that it was a bust.

Thanks for that info aprilh, some great online buying info there :up:

By the way I remember being told when I asked at Gap about the amount that goes to the Global Fund when an item is marked down, and I was told that Gap still gives the full amount of the percentage that was originally promised on the full price of the item. I can't remember though now where I got that information, if it was from a store or the website.

I am even afraid to be in the Walmart parking lot!! Same with Food for Less!!

What's a Food for Less? Obviously , it a store that sells food :lol: !!!
:hmm: Must be a regional store.

As for Walmart........:madwife::madwife:
In NYC (the 5 boros) so far we've managed to fight it off settling here!:mad::applaud:

I like Target & K-mart. :)
Even though I am on the poor side (not destitute), I still do most of my shopping in local stores that I like to support them when they have stuff I need/ like/ want.

Food for Less is a big huge gigantic food warehouse where food is really much cheaper than one of the well known grocery chains. You bag your own groceries, it's more or less self-serve. I've seen the stores in No and So Calif. Maybe it's only a west coast chain? :shrug: Most of the stores I've gone to are dirty and gross and located in not such good parts of town.

I want to know about the gift wrap as well. By using it I was telling people about (RED) and how they can help.

Food for Less is a big huge gigantic food warehouse where food is really much cheaper than one of the well known grocery chains. You bag your own groceries, it's more or less self-serve. I've seen the stores in No and So Calif. Maybe it's only a west coast chain? :shrug: Most of the stores I've gone to are dirty and gross and located in not such good parts of town.

ah........ok.:)

Maybe it's like Costco....not sure....since I've never been to one.
maybe Costco is an east coast version, BUT I think it's only for people who are buying a lot for their businesses, non-profits etc. :hmm:

No Costco is FINE. We have them here too. Food 4 Less is completely different. Like a grocery store with no employees that no one goes to. I went there once. :down:

No Costco is FINE. We have them here too. Food 4 Less is completely different. Like a grocery store with no employees that no one goes to. I went there once. :down:

thanks for clearing that up, bc! :yes:

:hmm:
I see I was unclear myself.

I had always thought it was fine, because some of the people I knew who were doing the purchasing were mostly happy with the store. And I saw what there were purchasing and it was alright to good-plus stuff. :up:

Delurking for a minute...

.......... With some of the more expensive items, half off is still outside of my price range, but for the items that are say $120 or less, it can put the item within the reach of ordinary folk. This summer the specials included several tees which you could purchase for $25 each. That's not exactly dirt cheap, but within the realm of reason for those of us who can't afford to spend $50 or $60 on a t-shirt.............

good info aprilh! :yes:
def delurk more often ...:D

I can't spend 25$ on one item like a tee-shirt.....but i did buy one of the originally designed INSPI(RED) T's when it went on sale for 10 or 15$ -two years ago.

But "the layaway" is returning in these more dificult times............ :hmm:

And Carek what a cool avi! Wild make-up! :drool:

Well, I had to come in here and say that while I sadly wasn't in New Orleans, as I'm not a store manager, I was watching the live webcast of the conference in one of our conference rooms, and I let out a big "OH MY GOD, BONO!!!!!" when Howard Schultz said "... I'd like to introduce"

The reaction of the 10,000 people there was pretty amazing, as you could expect, and most of the people watching here in Seattle were all "*gasp* Ooh! Bono!"

He gave a great speech. The usual bits that we've all heard, and he got many excited ovations throughout, as I would guess most of the attendees hadn't heard a big Bono speech before.

As usual, he was also very funny (joking about arriving on stage by jumping out of a cranberry scone), and at the end, he gave a plug for the election, talking about America as a brand, and that whatever the turnout of the election, we were faced with "rebranding USA" to the world.

Then he was photographed wearing the new Starbucks (Red) apron, standing next to Howard.

He also made a comment up front about not telling the rest of the band he was there, as they all thought he was on his way to London to finish up the new album.

That was pretty awesome. Not as great as being there, but hey, at least I got to "be there" through the magic of the interwebs.

He was here at my workplace in fall of '04, and we never were able to really figure out why he wanted to talk to the big guy here at Starbucks. Maybe he was talking up (Red) at that time, too.

I would love to see the pics of Bono in the Starbucks (RED) apron. :cute:

I normally don't visit Starbucks because I can't afford it but I think I'll try the gingersnap and the peppermint mocha ones.

Oh yeah I wanna see that too!

And yes gotta at least try one!

I will definitely share the picture here if I can find it. I understand there was going to be a website or something, where Starbucks employees could show their support of (Red), and the pic of Howard and Bono was going to be the first one on there. Something like that.

Well, I had to come in here and say that while I sadly wasn't in New Orleans, as I'm not a store manager, I was watching the live webcast of the conference in one of our conference rooms, and I let out a big "OH MY GOD, BONO!!!!!" when Howard Schultz said "... I'd like to introduce"

The reaction of the 10,000 people there was pretty amazing, as you could expect, and most of the people watching here in Seattle were all "*gasp* Ooh! Bono!"

He gave a great speech. The usual bits that we've all heard, and he got many excited ovations throughout, as I would guess most of the attendees hadn't heard a big Bono speech before.

As usual, he was also very funny (joking about arriving on stage by jumping out of a cranberry scone), and at the end, he gave a plug for the election, talking about America as a brand, and that whatever the turnout of the election, we were faced with "rebranding USA" to the world.

Then he was photographed wearing the new Starbucks (Red) apron, standing next to Howard.

He also made a comment up front about not telling the rest of the band he was there, as they all thought he was on his way to London to finish up the new album.

That was pretty awesome. Not as great as being there, but hey, at least I got to "be there" through the magic of the interwebs.

He was here at my workplace in fall of '04, and we never were able to really figure out why he wanted to talk to the big guy here at Starbucks. Maybe he was talking up (Red) at that time, too.

that's hella cool cori!!!!!!!!!! :love::hyper:

:giggle: at your reaction. I would of too! with everyone looking at me, who is that crazy loon?

Bono's credit card campaign mocked in new book

Last Update: 10/27 12:35 pm

U2 frontman Bono's philanthropic efforts have been laughed off in a new book - after its authors branded the rocker's credit card campaign bogus.

The star launched his global RED brand in 2006, partnering huge retail companies including Gap, American Express and Converse who share profits to help fight AIDS in Africa.

But authors Steve Lowe, Alan McArthur and Brendan Hay insist the musician's partnership with the credit giant is just a gimmick.

In Is It Just Me or Is Everything S*** - Insanely Annoying Modern Things, they write: "Certainly, if you get one of Bono/American Express' Red Cards (where a tiny percentage of your capricious spending is forwarded on to the poor starving African babies) and you spend, spend, spend enough with it - you know, really absolutely totally ruining yourself - you could end famine. All of this while living in a cool contemporary apartment drinking crisp white wine."

Story.jpg

Amazon.com: Is It Just Me or Is Everything Shit?: Insanely Annoying Modern Things: Steve Lowe, Alan McArthur, Brendan Hay: Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom