The Only Ones Staring At The Sun…Yes We’re the Communist Sun God Worshippers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave:

No, it simply means you don't believe in a god. The nothing after death stuff isn't part of it. It is just something lots of atheists believe.

:wink:

Well I've always been led to believe that 'god = existence after death'. I personally find it very hard to see how you can have one without the other, so for me yes atheism is the denial of an afterlife.

Don't say that Emma. :hug: Don't follow something you don't believe in. Many atheists who don't believe in something after death actually live happier lives because they cherish every moment. :)

Well that's my problem, I'm NOT happier for the knowledge that when I die/the people I love die that is it. An end to everything. For me, no matter how happy I ever am - it can never be complete happiness, because I know that one day it will end.
So I'd rather be religious, but sadly I just can't make myself believe in a higher being.

And by bad deed it's every little white lie, every single thing you do in day to day life that's not consistent with the way God would want you to live life. And by good deed too, it's pretty much that way too. The grave is just a resting place before everyone gets revived on the day of judgement.

...Yes, then that's rather terrifying.

And by bad deed it's every little white lie, every single thing you do in day to day life that's not consistent with the way God would want you to live life. And by good deed too, it's pretty much that way too. The grave is just a resting place before everyone gets revived on the day of judgement.

Zee, if you have a positive effect on people and they cherish moments with you than no just God could think negatively of your life. :)

Well I've always been led to believe that 'god = existence after death'. I personally find it very hard to see how you can have one without the other, so for me yes atheism is the denial of an afterlife.

Science. Every year we learn more and more about life and the universe. Who is to say that it isn't possible for there to be something after the death of the brain? The things we know today seemed insane in the past. We get closer and closer to a universe that is more mystical than any religion could have imagined. :)

Well that's my problem, I'm NOT happier for the knowledge that when I die/the people I love die that is it. An end to everything. For me, no matter how happy I ever am - it can never be complete happiness, because I know that one day it will end.
So I'd rather be religious, but sadly I just can't make myself believe in a higher being.

Oh Emma. :hug: See my last post. :)

And that's another teaching of Islam - good times and bad times are transitionary. You may be happy but there will come a time where you won't be happy. Nothing is ever permanent. And going by what everyday people feel, no one is ever completely happy all the time or very sad all the time. And what the religion teaches is that if you're going through a bad time, take solance in the fact that God is there for you and he'll look after you, just keep your faith in him. And vice-versa, if you're happy, thank God. :D

[/QUOTE]

And that's another teaching of Islam - good times and bad times are transitionary. You may be happy but there will come a time where you won't be happy. Nothing is ever permanent. And going by what everyday people feel, no one is ever completely happy all the time or very sad all the time. And what the religion teaches is that if you're going through a bad time, take solance in the fact that God is there for you and he'll look after you, just keep your faith in him. And vice-versa, if you're happy, thank God. :D

...and that's why I think religion can be comforting :D

:wave: Cassie, gutted you're having a bad time of it :(

Science. Every year we learn more and more about life and the universe. Who is to say that it isn't possible for there to be something after the death of the brain? The things we know today seemed insane in the past. We get closer and closer to a universe that is more mystical than any religion could have imagined. :)

That's great for you to think like that Justin :D I wish I could be less pessimistic too :lol:

:wave: Cassie, gutted you're having a bad time of it :(

:wave: Thanks, it's always kind of a hard time, I can never seem to get into remission for more than 9 or 10 months, and now I'm flaring, losing weight like crazy, and can't even keep food down. :(

:wave: Thanks, it's always kind of a hard time, I can never seem to get into remission for more than 9 or 10 months, and now I'm flaring, losing weight like crazy, and can't even keep food down. :(

Man :sad: That sounds like a real tough time, I can't say I've ever heard of what it is you have - it must really get in the way of things? :hug:

Can I ask why you believe so strongly that everything just ends?

I don't know :lol: Tis an inexplicable, deep rooted belief I've always had and can't change.

Cassie :wave: Didn't we say last night that we'd have a discussion like this? :lol: Come join in! :hyper: BTW where in MN do you live???

Man :sad: That sounds like a real tough time, I can't say I've ever heard of what it is you have - it must really get in the way of things? :hug:

It can, yeah. Basically, it's an autoimmune disorder that causes my immune system to attack my intestines. I just happen to be one of the lucky ones that doesn't respond to any medications for longer than a year, and at the moment, I'm pretty much at the end of the line. There's the drug I'm on now, which can potentially cause a usually fatal brain infection, and one other one. :down:

Cassie :wave: Didn't we say last night that we'd have a discussion like this? :lol: Come join in! :hyper: BTW where in MN do you live???

I do believe we did say that. :wink:

I'm in Minneapolis now for school, but originally from the southeastern part of the state, a small town called La Crescent. Can't say I'm too sad to have moved though. :wink:

:hug: Thanks again.

Sooo, religion, huh? Well, I'd consider myself agnostic. :)

:up: Agnostics.

We're you brought up with a particular religion? I wonder if most people stick with the religions they are brought up in :hmm:

It can, yeah. Basically, it's an autoimmune disorder that causes my immune system to attack my intestines. I just happen to be one of the lucky ones that doesn't respond to any medications for longer than a year, and at the moment, I'm pretty much at the end of the line. There's the drug I'm on now, which can potentially cause a usually fatal brain infection, and one other one. :down:

That sounds like a bloody ordeal, I wish you the best of luck with the one other drug if you get to try it. :hug:

:up: Agnostics.

We're you brought up with a particular religion? I wonder if most people stick with the religions they are brought up in :hmm:

Nope, not at all. My parents were both brought up religiously and left. :lol: My dad was Catholic, and he actually chose not to go through communion. My mom was Methodist. I was baptized Methodist though.

Nope, not at all. My parents were both brought up religiously and left. :lol: My dad was Catholic, and he actually chose not to go through communion. My mom was Methodist. I was baptized Methodist though.

What are the chances, I was baptized methodist too :D But only to please my grandparents - neither of my parents are religious, I don't think anyone in my family is anymore actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom