The Only Ones Staring At The Sun…Yes We’re the Communist Sun God Worshippers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually not sure what you mean. :wink:

Like certain note intervals or chord progressions invoke certain emotions or meanings when you hear them. One example he makes is that there is an interval sequence--major third-perfect fifth-minor sixth--that refers to "hunting calls" back in the 18th century, which, in turn, invokes the outdoor life of nobles.

The downfall to analyzing music this way though is that the meanings change according to cultural and educational background, which is why when we hear that sequence today, it doesn't have that same meaning attached to it.

Like certain note intervals or chord progressions invoke certain emotions or meanings when you hear them. One example he makes is that there is an interval sequence--major third-perfect fifth-minor sixth--that refers to "hunting calls" back in the 18th century, which, in turn, invokes the outdoor life of nobles.

The downfall to analyzing music this way though is that the meanings change according to cultural and educational background, which is why when we hear that sequence today, it doesn't have that same meaning attached to it.

Ah. I'm surprised that they haven't mentioned modern artists. :hmm:

Ah. I'm surprised that they haven't mentioned modern artists. :hmm:

He's a typical musicologist, I'm guessing. :shrug: They usually focus on the "true, high art" of classical music. Popular music and even contemporary classical is just recently getting its due within the musicological community.

Painting and listening to patti smith :lol: I'm such a hippy.

You're up early! :shocked:

No, you make the best of your time :p

And I'm a fan of the facebook status Zee :up:

I don't know, I've been thinking about death alot lately. For me personally, being an atheist, thinking about myself/others dying only serves to make me worry endlessly and probably effects my life in a negative way instead. But that's only because I'm too pessimistic. For other people, I think it could be true though.
How about you?

Sorry it took me long to reply here, I was responding to your PM :drool:

For me, it's kind of... scary. To exist, to have all this life and feelings and emotions and mobility etc etc, and then to have it all end. To become nothing. And the fear of the unknown ..... what's happening with our mentality after the physical part is over? :hmm:

I completely agree :up: That everything about one person can just END, their life just becomes nothing all of a sudden just because they've... 'died.' No, I can't understand it at all. Actually, I wouldn't say I'm an atheist because I desperately like to think there is something once you die - I just have no idea what :lol:
I thought you were religious Zee? Is that not comforting for you?

I do believe in God and all that. But in my religion - Islam - it says that once you're in the grave, you're good deeds that you've done during your lifetime are all weighed out against your bad deeds. And whichever is more... you get equal punishment or reward. And you either burn in hell forever and ever, or you enjoy paradise forever. It's... scary.

I completely agree :up: That everything about one person can just END, their life just becomes nothing all of a sudden just because they've... 'died.' No, I can't understand it at all. Actually, I wouldn't say I'm an atheist because I desperately like to think there is something once you die - I just have no idea what :lol:
I thought you were religious Zee? Is that not comforting for you?

Well Emma, an athiest simply doesn't believe in a higher power. You can believe in an afterlife or something after death and be an athiest. Personally, I believe that there is something after death even though I'm an athiest. :up:

Hi Justin :wave:

No - the belief of an Atheist is that there is absolutely NOTHING after death, and that is absolute.
An agnostic however is someone who is unsure, and when they probably don't subscribe to religion they accept that anything is possible. I'd say I was one of those.

And I don't paint :lol: Believe me, I only paint when I have to because of college. I'm the least artistic person on earth.

I do believe in God and all that. But in my religion - Islam - it says that once you're in the grave, you're good deeds that you've done during your lifetime are all weighed out against your bad deeds. And whichever is more... you get equal punishment or reward. And you either burn in hell forever and ever, or you enjoy paradise forever. It's... scary.

That is kind of scary, but then comforting if you know you're not a bad person. And I suppose it's point of view aswell isn't it, as in if you do something that could be bad but you do it with good intent - then you've done it for the right reasons and it's a good deed, right?
I find different religious really interesting, but there's never one I could fully commit myself too. I think it's the cause of being born into an atheist family - I'll always be that little bit skeptical. I wish I wasn't :sad:

Hi Justin :wave:

No - the belief of an Atheist is that there is absolutely NOTHING after death, and that is absolute.
An agnostic however is someone who is unsure, and when they probably don't subscribe to religion they accept that anything is possible. I'd say I was one of those.

And I don't paint :lol: Believe me, I only paint when I have to because of college. I'm the least artistic person on earth.

:wave:

No, it simply means you don't believe in a god. The nothing after death stuff isn't part of it. It is just something lots of atheists believe.

:wink:

And by bad deed it's every little white lie, every single thing you do in day to day life that's not consistent with the way God would want you to live life. And by good deed too, it's pretty much that way too. The grave is just a resting place before everyone gets revived on the day of judgement.

That is kind of scary, but then comforting if you know you're not a bad person. And I suppose it's point of view aswell isn't it, as in if you do something that could be bad but you do it with good intent - then you've done it for the right reasons and it's a good deed, right?
I find different religious really interesting, but there's never one I could fully commit myself too. I think it's the cause of being born into an atheist family - I'll always be that little bit skeptical. I wish I wasn't :sad:

Don't say that Emma. :hug: Don't follow something you don't believe in. Many atheists who don't believe in something after death actually live happier lives because they cherish every moment. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom