The Official B&C Desert Island VI NSW Memorial Running Diary Thread for the Cure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completed the classic rock block. It was just like listening to the local classic rock station.

Obviously, all the songs are awesome, and for the most part, I think the order you placed them in was good. But I started playing around with the songs, because that's what I do, and I think this order would've been better:

Gimme Shelter > My Sweet Lord > Don't Fear The Reaper > Layla > Run Through The Jungle

If only for the Reaper > Layla pairing, which I thought sounded much better together.

This isn't really a criticism, because it's still very good, just random thinking out loud.

We now return to our regularly scheduled playlist.

I got interrupted here at work before, so a slight delay.

After CCR was Mama's Boy by Post Stardom Depression. Not bad - I enjoyed the guitar on that one, and I liked it after Run Through The Jungle.

Mr. Skeleton Wings was ok. Didn't really do much for me.

One of the better tracks I've heard from Arctic Monkeys, who I generally don't care for.

Same thing with The Strokes. They are ok, but they aren't something I listen to a whole lot.

I will say that all these songs go together very well.

Universally Speaking is a favorite, as if people didn't already know from its previous appearance on my DI5 list.

The track from TSOOL wasn't bad. Again, I don't really listen to them that much, although what I've heard has been ok. Nothing earth shattering, though.

Nice touch on it preceding All You Need Is Love with the use of horns connecting the two.

Using the Love version was cool as this is your closer; otherwise, I would have preferred the remixed version from the Yellow Submarine remaster.

Ok, so final verdict is, this is the best playlist you've done yet. Easily. A great selection of classics mixed in with some newer material, for a very consistent and well-constructed listening experience. This might be my favorite from Group 1 so far. It will be tough to beat.

Muse into Thin Lizzy was pretty nice. I don't listen to Thin Lizzy normally. Also, does anyone know if the Muse song is named differently in the U.S.? :hmm:

Not sure how I feel about "End of the World." Too much guitar wankery, I think. :lol: I liked Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds though, another one of those bands I've meant to get around to eventually.

I always love a Springsteen song, and that piano melody in "Jungleland" gets me every time I hear it. :heart:

Ok, so final verdict is, this is the best playlist you've done yet. Easily. A great selection of classics mixed in with some newer material, for a very consistent and well-constructed listening experience. This might be my favorite from Group 1 so far. It will be tough to beat.

Thanks! Glad you liked it! :D

Favourite song you've never heard before...?

I have a question for you though... do you burn these to cd to listen to at work, and if so is there a one-second gap between the songs generally? I only ask, because I would be able to understand the transition nitpicking if that was the case. On iTunes there's no gap so it feels like a live band where one guitar/piano/whatever is still feeding back when the next song starts with a bang by the rest of the musicians. That's kinda what I was going for with those two segues in particular. :shrug: Not a big deal, though, just interested!

onebloodonelife, what was the final verdict on my playlist?

Bah! Sorry, forgot to post that I'd finished it a couple days ago.

I liked it a lot. The ending section was really strong, especially with Explosions into Low (Minnesota band, btw. :wink: ). The dance stuff at the beginning was a ton of fun, and that was probably my favorite part of the list. Overall, I dug it. I've only listened to three lists now, on my fourth, but yours is definitely up there in my rankings. :up:

Up to "Mykonos" now on John's list. Boomtown Rats aren't really my thing. :shrug: Rodrigo y Gabriela are great, and each time I hear a song of theirs, I always think that I should get an album from them. Bowie, another artist I've never been crazy about, blasphemy, I know. Blur into Fleet Foxes was rad. :up:

This Secret Machines-->Arcade Fire-->Joy Division is a nice section. I usually really dislike Joy Division, but the way that "Intervention" went into it was pretty gorgeous. :love:

You're goddamn right it's blasphemy.

:shrug: Glam rock in general isn't a genre I'm crazy about. I can live with myself. It's not even that I don't like what I hear from him, because I usually do, but I wouldn't choose to put on a Bowie album.

Digging this Pulp song too. Fun fact: Razzmatazz is probably my favorite flavor of smoothie at Jamba Juice. :up:

I like how this last section is shaping up. :up:

Somehow, I never get sick of "Let Go," and I still :heart: the scene it's used in for Garden State. Smashing Pumpkins are alright, this song works well in here though.

:shrug: Glam rock in general isn't a genre I'm crazy about. I can live with myself. It's not even that I don't like what I hear from him, because I usually do, but I wouldn't choose to put on a Bowie album.

I think you'd really enjoy Hunky Dory though, if anything.

I think you'd really enjoy Hunky Dory though, if anything.

In the spirit of trying to get into him again, I'll give it a listen.

Alright, finished Irishteen's list. I liked it. :up: The beginning, starting with Gary Moore through Blur or so, was hit or miss for me, mostly because it's not what I'm into. But, it all went together pretty well, in my opinion. The ending was definitely strongest for me; I dug the atmospheric, down-beat thing you had going on. Great job! :D Also, this is the second list with "Magnificent" that I've listened to, and both have used it well, so props for that too.

Bah! Sorry, forgot to post that I'd finished it a couple days ago.

I liked it a lot. The ending section was really strong, especially with Explosions into Low (Minnesota band, btw. :wink: ). The dance stuff at the beginning was a ton of fun, and that was probably my favorite part of the list. Overall, I dug it. I've only listened to three lists now, on my fourth, but yours is definitely up there in my rankings. :up:

thanks! glad you liked it.

minnesota :drool: can't wait to go there this summer. i love it there.

Well, he really only had four glam rock albums. He's famous for his lack of definitive genre.

I'm gonna start GAF's list here in a bit, since that seems to be the cool thing to do

I've had a few beers so I might be especially kind

thanks! glad you liked it.

minnesota :drool: can't wait to go there this summer. i love it there.

Sweet! Whereabouts are you visiting? I do love the Cities, probably more than I've ever loved living somewhere. :drool:

Well, he really only had four glam rock albums. He's famous for his lack of definitive genre.

Fair enough. It's another reason why I don't even want to start with him, in a way, he's got such a huge discography...

GAF: this first section is rocking. There hasn't been a song I haven't enjoyed yet. :rockon: My Morning Jacket appears again on a list, and I've decided I need to start somewhere with them. Soon.

I'm gonna start GAF's list here in a bit, since that seems to be the cool thing to do

I've had a few beers so I might be especially kind

:lol: I'm about to pause it after this song to go take a smoke break, then I'll be in fine form to keep listening. :wink:

Sweet! Whereabouts are you visiting? I do love the Cities, probably more than I've ever loved living somewhere. :drool:.

Some of my family lives in St. Louis Park (suburb of Minneapolis, as you're probably aware), but we're going to a cabin somewhere else further north... i do not remember where. in the middle of nowhere prolly. but it's fun! we went there last year.

:lol: I'm about to pause it after this song to go take a smoke break, then I'll be in fine form to keep listening. :wink:

good. plan.

GAF - Arctic Monkeys song was awesome and way too short. Joey Ramone song is fun - did he write it? :wink: I Can't Explain is a great song.

Phantom Planet will always be the band that wrote that California song in my mind. But that's okay, because I love that song. This song is pleasant as well.

The first part of the My Morning Jacket song was fun, but I really dug the second part. Very relaxing. I love the bass especially.

John Lennon, I mean, he's a pretty cool guy. I like him.

I really like Broken Ship. I'd never heard of this band before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom