The National are a great band we should keep discussing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd call it tedious rather than awful. Interesting look into the songwriting process, though. All in all it feels like someone's art school MA project.

I went to a Tribeca event with Matt and Tom Berninger on Friday at Apple Soho and got to ask Matt about the new record during a Q&A. He said the first song on the album deals with his brother and their relationship and was influenced by the documentary-making process.

Tom and Matt were also super-nice and respectful to the crowd, giving in depth answers for nearly everything. The panel's producers and moderator were cool as well.

BEG!

I have a hard time believing any American band goes to Australia for one show, but, I guess it happens.

Saw this earlier. It's very weird, but I might stop by. PS1 is a really fun setting.

This reminds me of my freshman year roommate having to listen to Dark Side of the Moon eleven times in a row ... only that was for a fraternity hazing ritual, not a performance art piece.

Tomorrow. Fallon. Let's roll, you guys.

Rehearsals:

308915_10151354878161010_346711206_n.jpg

Well, my anticipation for this album just keeps getting higher and higher. Sea of Love is probably the best track to drop yet.

Holy shit, Sea of Love is a beast. That's a big song. Right from the top, with the way the guitars and the vocal melody and everything was building, I just knew that Matt was gonna get his SCREAM on at some point. And he did. Also cool to hear the album title in there. Damn. What a band. That's a great song, filled with signature National moments.

Yeah, the whole slow build thing is really their forte. Gotta love the screaming from other band members as well.

Gonna wait for the album version to make my mind. National rockers are my favourite thing about the band so I naturally always have very high expectations about those. I will say that I don't think the lyric "sorry I hurt you but they say love is a virtue" is one of Berninger's high points as a writer.

I Need My Girl sounds more menacing than the previous live versions. I love Bryce thumping that guitar.

Yeah, it was probably their most "sugary" song they did and this arrangement sounds darker, which is a good thing. If you listen to the lyrics in the verses, it also makes the cheesiness of that main line a bit easier to swallow.

Back
Top Bottom