The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I totally agree about the Eno-esque feel. Get a quality copy, some good headphones and a comfy sofa. This album, I think, will be like October is for me... a 'story' album. The whole thing has strength - as opposed to a 'collation' of sounds & approaches, which as you say is what Achtung brought us. What do I mean? Well think of the J Tree. It's a moment in time. NLOTNH feels like that to me. I'm happy to wait another 4 years for another 'look at where the boys are then'... but this is where they are now.

The build-ups in this album are brave, and do hark back to the early 80's (Elvis Presley & America still leaves me stunned - it drags me out of my seemingly mundane day. I wouldn't be so dramatic as to use the phrase 'reborn', but...). At the end of most of these new songs I'm shouting back at Lanois & Eno 'You could have gone another four minutes with that - you haven't finished! But I can see their dilemma when I see the album running time is 54 minutes.

Now you've read this - go play it again. Start with unknown caller, then I'll go crazy...

Well, this album will win next year's Grammy's unless Coldplay makes another album. Cuz it's really only down to those two bands it seems. If Radiohead records an album, it'l be nominated, just for credibility, but it won't win. the same goes for the crappy alternative band's album (most likely The Killers) and then Paul McCartney or whatever old fogie gets nominated. It will go to U2, Coldplay...or the pity award to the old man, maybe Paul McCartney, maybe Sting. God, do the Grammy's suck. Award shows exist for one reason and one reason only, to move more units.

What the fuck are you talking about? The Grammy's suck. Who gives a flying bleep if u2 win or don't win? What does that have to do with anything? You are way too worried about the bs. Get over it. Who won the best album grammy in 2003?? who gives a bleep???

well, i hope it's a grower. only problem is, after a number of listens, i really don't want to listen to much of it anymore.
i've probably listened to each song about 6 times so far... and you can count me as underwhelmed thus far.
it starts off strong, i really enjoy no line on the horizon. i love that whistle that comes on at 2.50... that's brilliant. my favourite part of the song, actually.
as for the rest... it just hasn't grabbed me at all. that's not necessarily a bad thing, of course. but it just feels like i've heard this before... the big emotional chorus'... that just doesn't appeal to me anymore. this whole "big" music thing that u2 have made themselves known for. it just doesn't move me, and comes across as being artificial and forced.

then there's stand up comedy. some interesting guitar at the end... but the whole lyrics, melody and pretty much everything else in this song annoys me. flat out. "stand up for your love"??? is this the best you can do, bono? it just all feels like over-the-top sound bites thrown together. blech.

i'll go crazy is actually interesting... i don't think the title of the song does it justice. bono does some lovely singing here in the verses... when he reaches up high. i think you know what i'm talking about.

another thing i've noticed is that there are an awful lot of "ooh's" and "oh's". i find that tiresome.

after three albums of feeling largely disappointed, perhaps it's me who's changed and not u2. that'd make the most sense. i still love their stuff up to and including pop... but their music nowadays just doesn't speak to me anymore. i'm pretty disappointed, because i want to enjoy it, but i just can't seem to find anything here that grabs my interest for reasons i've already explained.

anyway, it's all early. it might change my mind later.

What the fuck are you talking about? The Grammy's suck. Who gives a flying bleep if u2 win or don't win? What does that have to do with anything? You are way too worried about the bs. Get over it. Who won the best album grammy in 2003?? who gives a bleep???

The Rising - Springsteen

U2 seems to give a bleep about the Grammy's.

Are you Tripoli in disguise?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA
You all just cant handle the scandal.

if you're interested in coming across as a badass, why don't you first ask to be taken out of your crib? you're the equivalent of a baby, and noone gives a fuck what you think when you've done nothing here.

if you think you're unique, you're not. you're like a hundred other twats that this place eats up and shits out, and if you think you're going to meet a different fate than the others then time will prove you wrong.

well, i hope it's a grower. only problem is, after a number of listens, i really don't want to listen to much of it anymore.
i've probably listened to each song about 6 times so far... and you can count me as underwhelmed thus far.
it starts off strong, i really enjoy no line on the horizon. i love that whistle that comes on at 2.50... that's brilliant. my favourite part of the song, actually.
as for the rest... it just hasn't grabbed me at all. that's not necessarily a bad thing, of course. but it just feels like i've heard this before... the big emotional chorus'... that just doesn't appeal to me anymore. this whole "big" music thing that u2 have made themselves known for. it just doesn't move me, and comes across as being artificial and forced.

then there's stand up comedy. some interesting guitar at the end... but the whole lyrics, melody and pretty much everything else in this song annoys me. flat out. "stand up for your love"??? is this the best you can do, bono? it just all feels like over-the-top sound bites thrown together. blech.

i'll go crazy is actually interesting... i don't think the title of the song does it justice. bono does some lovely singing here in the verses... when he reaches up high. i think you know what i'm talking about.

another thing i've noticed is that there are an awful lot of "ooh's" and "oh's". i find that tiresome.

after three albums of feeling largely disappointed, perhaps it's me who's changed and not u2. that'd make the most sense. i still love their stuff up to and including pop... but their music nowadays just doesn't speak to me anymore. i'm pretty disappointed, because i want to enjoy it, but i just can't seem to find anything here that grabs my interest for reasons i've already explained.

Fair enough but if not ONE song grabs you HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM and it might be time to move on from U2. I still think it might be a bit to early to tell because Moment of Surrender is Magnificent :D

ScandalCrow is totally trying to find someone to listen his crap music here.:down:

Fair enough but if not ONE song grabs you HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM and it might be time to move on from U2. I still think it might be a bit to early to tell because Moment of Surrender is Magnificent :D

no, there are some songs that have strong bits. the songwriting is interesting... but i guess what i was trying to say, in other words, is that bono really let me down.

there are some interesting sounds, like i've already mentioned. i didn't want to come across as one who immediately wrote the whole record off, because that's definitely not the case.

After some consideration, I've revised my ranking;

Pop
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Achtung Baby
All That You Can't Leave Behind
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Rattle and Hum
No Line on the Horizon
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October
Boy
Original Soundtracks 1

no, there are some songs that have strong bits. the songwriting is interesting... but i guess what i was trying to say, in other words, is that bono really let me down.

there are some interesting sounds, like i've already mentioned. i didn't want to come across as one who immediately wrote the whole record off, because that's definitely not the case.

:up: Respect your opinion and its good to hear that you haven't written the whole record off already like a few people in this thread have for attention purposes.

I've listened to this album only 8 times and this album is really growing on me after every listen. After the first few listens I wasn't really too keen on the second half of the album but its really growing on me now. Its funny how you don't like the OOHS and OHs and I must admit after hearing the beach clips and reading the reviews I was getting a bit worried about this as well but the OOHS and OHs really seem to fit in well with the songs and aren't really that annoying like in Wild Honey for instance.

Anyway for all those people already writing off the album after a few listens you really need to give this album a chance because its U2, remember, your favourite band :wink:

I respect this review. It'd be nice if more people that weren't enjoying the album could express their opinion like this.

After some consideration, I've revised my ranking;

Pop
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Achtung Baby
All That You Can't Leave Behind
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Rattle and Hum
No Line on the Horizon
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
October
Boy
Original Soundtracks 1

How on earth could you like ATYCLB so much? I'm pretty sure Bon Jovi's recent material is more inspired. It's such a dull adult contemporary album; the product of U2 actually trying to "de-innovate" to re-appeal to the masses. Yuck.

Ironically, U2's worst single is "Numb".
How can you feel numb during MOS, UC, Breathe etc??? I'm literally perplexed.

What has U2's worst single got to do with me feeling numb?

The album just doesn't do anything for me and I am angry about it. I want to like the album and I am frustrated with myself for not feeling and experiencing what other people are.

The album just doesn't do anything for me and I am angry about it. I want to like the album and I am frustrated with myself for not feeling and experiencing what other people are.

Hang on a minute, i am sure i seen you in another thread yesterday saying you quite liked it :|

Well do you think it is better than bomb?

I think you need to be in love with being in love with u2 to enjoy this album at this point. They created nice simple songs this time. Nothing really outstanding.

I absolutely adore U2, yet it still does nothing for me. Maybe I was expecting way too much? I don't know. But, what I don't get is that for some people (who were expecting a lot) it was great.

I really hope so because Bomb isn't bad for me, it's just much more of the same of ATYCLB but a little bit more 'rockier'. So when Bomb came out I was pleased but not as impressed as ATYCLB for example which was a departure from Pop (the back to basics concept/theme).

NLOTH is a departure from Bomb but it still feels more of the same from other albums and to me at times feels like they are departing from Bomb territory and have set sail to their past. Which in turn, feels repeated, feels like it's been done before, feels like it's not fresh, feels nothing new in that regard, to me anyhow.

I really hope so because Bomb isn't bad for me, it's just much more of the same of ATYCLB but a little bit more 'rockier'. So when Bomb came out I was pleased but not as impressed as ATYCLB for example which was a departure from Pop (the back to basics concept/theme).

NLOTH is a departure from Bomb but it still feels more of the same from other albums and to me at times feels like they are departing from Bomb territory and have set sail to their past. Which in turn, feels repeated, feels like it's been done before, feels like it's not fresh, feels nothing new in that regard, to me anyhow.

I get your point. People here have to learn to respect and exchange experiences with others. I personally think this is a great album. But i think if some people set their expectations high they wont' find it that brilliant. As much i like No line, it doesn't have that completeness that makes JT and AB such masterpieces. And i haven't found a song to beat Beautiful Day for sheer magnitude and comercial power.
On the other hand, maybe it's their best work after the two best albums. Who knows? time will tell

I am actually amazed that Beautiful Day did so well commercially. I think it's a pretty average song and lacks timelessness. Kite was much better. The last U2 song that truly successfully combined musical genius with widespread commercial appeal was Discotheque, maybe Hold Me Thrill Me if not that.

Farking GROW up and get over it!!!!

I am actually amazed that Beautiful Day did so well commercially. I think it's a pretty average song and lacks timelessness. Kite was much better. The last U2 song that truly successfully combined musical genius with widespread commercial appeal was Discotheque, maybe Hold Me Thrill Me if not that.

Maybe we can find (or i find for that matter) Beautiful Day not their most dynamic rocker. But we can't deny that as a anthem it's a brilliant effort. The super catchy chorus. The pulsating intro. Even the ambience. Beatiful Day was the song that made U2 relevant again. They were presented to a whole new generation of fans with this song. It's no small feat.
It's so intriguing that i find Leave Behind such an incomplete album and at the same time i get the geniousness of its simplicity and pop fluency. As an album that made a mark in peoples lives it's so much superior than Bomb.

Back
Top Bottom