Anyone dissapointed thus far? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Anyone dissapointed thus far?

I love the new album (not a huge fan of ATYCLB) as I see a lot of people do. So is anyone extremely dissapointed? There is always a few no matter how good something is. So don't be shy, let's hear how you feel. I promise not to attack you for your feelings (though I can't promise for everyone else).

Just curious.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 10:29 AM
no way

Old 11-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:29 PM
I'm disappointed concerning One Step Closer. It's basically the worst U2 track since their early days.
It has nothing about it whatsoever. First Time is great, Grace is quite good too, I like these soft songs, but One Step Closer is boring and uninteresting.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
New Yorker

I only listened to album once around and I am not blown away for sure. I like some of the songs and I know in time they'll grow on me but so far, it is so-so.
I love Man and a Women and Love, Peace or Else but nothing else really jumped out at me.
It is not War or anything like it.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Really? I quite enjoy One Step Closer. I see it being a snippet live, ala Dead Man. Introducing some other song about faith.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This is one of their best albums ever, not one weak track on it.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
New Yorker

Wake up Dead man is nothing like One Step closer. I love Wake up Dead man and One Step closer was by far the most boring song on the album.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 11:29 AM
It's growing on me but at the minute i'm struggling to get over a lot of the blandness and dodgy production that overcooks a lot of songs (SYCMIOYO, OOTS).

I dont understood peoples love for Miracle Drug. To me it is merely B-side material both lyrically and musically. It goes nowhere and is a bit turgid.

So far 6/10.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:29 AM
I have honestly been trying to find the weak links in this album since I downloaded the songs this AM - I downloaded it to he ipod and have been carrying it around in the car, mall, workout, stero all day - the scary part...
the album is getting better with each listen
Old 11-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:29 PM
The only disappointed people are the tasteless ones.

And with One Step Closer, don't judge it until you stop to savour it. It's a very rich song that can't be fully appreciated by just a single listen, or even a few superficial listens. Let it wash over you and then you'll see how beautiful and subtle it is.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #11
War Child

For those who dislike OSC-listen to the song more times and you'll see it's great
Old 11-06-2004, 01:19 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 03:29 AM
OSC is the kind of song that will catch you off guard when you are not paying attention. Suddenly you will wonder if there is a new song on your cd. Turns out it was there all along!
Old 11-06-2004, 01:21 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveone
It's growing on me but at the minute i'm struggling to get over a lot of the blandness and dodgy production that overcooks a lot of songs (SYCMIOYO, OOTS).
Really? I cant see that, I was just going to say I think Steve Lillywhite deserves credit for producing such an amazing record. But, each is own.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:21 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by youtwohearts
I only listened to album once around and I am not blown away for sure. I like some of the songs and I know in time they'll grow on me but so far, it is so-so.
I love Man and a Women and Love, Peace or Else but nothing else really jumped out at me.
It is not War or anything like it.
Well, the chances of them writing an epic rock song as good as New Years Day ever again is about about .000000000001%....

That said, this album, as a whole, is a lot more polished then War but not as raw IMO....

They are older!
Old 11-06-2004, 01:23 PM   #15
Acrobat

One Step Closer is fantastic. Those ominous drums in the background really make it.

Listen to it again, close your eyes.

I was secretley wishing Bono would have brought out chorus with a yell towards the end, but the song just ended as peacefully as it started. Either way, it's a great song.

Some U2 fans, or at least some people at these boards, seem to have forgotten what an album is. An album is not a collection of the top 10+ songs ever recorded. An album is a story from beginning to end with ups and downs throughout. (At least a good one is.) Those listening to every song wanting to hear a top 5 hit need to rearrange their priorities.

The only song that I have yet to grow on me (only listend twice) is Miracle Drug. To me, its just there. Its a good song, but its not the amazing WOW WOW WOW that I was hearing from others. I hope it grows on me to become more WOW the next few listens.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #16
Refugee

Half of "War" is a dated mess, so I should hope the new one sounds nothing like it..
Old 11-06-2004, 01:30 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by youtwohearts
Wake up Dead man is nothing like One Step closer. I love Wake up Dead man and One Step closer was by far the most boring song on the album.
I'm not saying their similar songs at all. Just that the first verse would be a nice lead-in to another song
Old 11-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #18
The Fly

OSC is without that one of U2s best songs of the last decade. However OOTS deserves a more bare level of production it really could have been a classic .

To Axver saying that the only dissapointed people "are tasteless" - that is ignorant and utter bollocks. In my opinion this is not a great album (as of yet). I suspect this time in a week my opinion will be different. However if you feel i am tasteless because I don't agree with you it's very sad. I've always been incedibly positive about 95% of U2s work, this one just doesn't do it for at the minute, it's just to much like U2-by-numbers but i can see why a lot of people like it and i respect their opinion.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

let me put it this way: the new album makes me drool as much as john edwards does.....

Old 11-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Umm, I loved OSC. I expected something crap, and was pleasantly surprised.