The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread Pt 3 (NO LINKS!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Fancis Ford Coppolla?

The Godfather, Godfather Part II, and Apocalypse Now are three of my favorite films of all-time, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of him as a director, if that makes sense. The Conversation is his only other landmark film that I haven't seen, apart from that, I'm in no rush to finish watching his filmography.

I love in Old School, at Will Ferrell's wedding ... they have two large, black and white photos of Ferrell and his wife hanging on the wall at the reception. His wife is smiling, and Will Ferrell's just looking at the camera with the funniest expression.

Wow, did not even think of making that Keaton connection there, but kudos to you if you could, ha.

I'd put it around the same level as Old School, actually. It's pretty funny and re-watchable, but not as good as the rest.

The whole movie it was driving me crazy cause I kept telling my mom he sounded like someone. Then there was one line he said, I don't remember what it was, but as soon as he said it I was like ohmygodbeatlejuice, and as soon as I said that, mom immediately agreed.

Since I haven't seen it in a while, I may be rating it higher than it deserves, but I tend to like Stiller's movies more than anything else. He comes in a very close second place to Ferrell

The Godfather, Godfather Part II, and Apocalypse Now are three of my favorite films of all-time, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of him as a director, if that makes sense. The Conversation is his only other landmark film that I haven't seen, apart from that, I'm in no rush to finish watching his filmography.

To me, those three match up with and/or beat any director's three movies. People speak of the "holy trinity" being Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and With Or Without You. But no. The holy trinity is those three movies.

Since I haven't seen it in a while, I may be rating it higher than it deserves, but I tend to like Stiller's movies more than anything else. He comes in a very close second place to Ferrell

I like Stiller a lot, too. The guy has been in SO many movies, though, it's hard to keep track.

A Stiller comedy that I'm very fond of is the original Meet the Parents.

Cool beans. I'm probably heading to bed soon, but I can read what I miss tomorrow.

Well, I'm not gonna lie--I really haven't cared for the first three songs, but you've won me over with Radiohead (which is on now).

:ohmy: I can't stand Ben Stiller.

The whole movie it was driving me crazy cause I kept telling my mom he sounded like someone. Then there was one line he said, I don't remember what it was, but as soon as he said it I was like ohmygodbeatlejuice, and as soon as I said that, mom immediately agreed.

Ha, that's cool. I think Keaton's voice is croakier than Stiller's in that, but I can kind of see the similarity... barely.

I prefer Stiller when he has a hand in writing/directing a film or is in small doses. I can't stand the little "neurotic guy with relationship problems" niche he's carved for himself. It works in Meet the Parents because it's such a funny idea, but not in shit like The Heartbreak Kid or Along Came Polly.

He's excellent in The Royal Tenenbaums though... I'd love to see him try a hand at more serious roles, too.

Reality Bites is some good early 90's Stiller stuff, too. Featuring the improbably cute Winona Ryder at the peak of her powers.

To me, those three match up with and/or beat any director's three movies. People speak of the "holy trinity" being Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and With Or Without You. But no. The holy trinity is those three movies.

I'll stack them up with Kubrick's 2001 / Clockwork / Strangelove combo any day of the week, or Scorsese's GoodFellas/ Raging Bull / Taxi Driver combo, but the fact of the matter is that a great deal of Coppola's other films do not interest me that much. And while I can appreciate his abilities as a director, I wouldn't put him up as one of my personal favorites.

I haven't seen very many Kubrick films either, but all of which I have seen have blown me away and have me incredibly excited into digging into the rest of his filmography. When I see a film for the guy behind the camera, then that means something, you know?

Ha, that's cool. I think Keaton's voice is croakier than Stiller's in that, but I can kind of see the similarity... barely.

I prefer Stiller when he has a hand in writing/directing a film or is in small doses. I can't stand the little "neurotic guy with relationship problems" niche he's carved for himself. It works in Meet the Parents because it's such a funny idea, but not in shit like The Heartbreak Kid or Along Came Polly.

He's excellent in The Royal Tenenbaums though... I'd love to see him try a hand at more serious roles, too.

Usually things that remind me of other things hang by a thread, and I believe my mom has gotten used to that. Case in point, I think David Spade looks like Tom Petty, even though I really he doesn't...just something about him .

Meet The Parents was fantastic, but I have learned, much as I hate to rely on critics, to do so when it comes to Stiller films, and in so doing, I have yet to see a Stiller film I haven't liked. I just avoid the rest.

He's the reason why Tenenbaums may stay my favorite Anderson film, but I'm not sure. The Life Aquatic made me cry, and movies that can do that get extra points

Reality Bites is some good early 90's Stiller stuff, too. Featuring the improbably cute Winona Ryder at the peak of her powers.

He is pretty good in that. The Zero Effect and Flirting with Disaster both look pretty cool, apparently he plays it straight in them as well.

I haven't seen very many Kubrick films either, but all of which I have seen have blown me away and have me incredibly excited into digging into the rest of his filmography. When I see a film for the guy behind the camera, then that means something, you know?

Yeah, I understand that and can appreciate it. I really don't care for anything else Coppolla's done, but ignorance is bliss, right? Heh. As for Kubrick, I'd probably get slapped for saying this, but my two favourites that I've seen of his are Eyes Wide Shut and The Shining (I've seen A Clockwork Orange and the first half of Full Metal Jacket--fucking dvd I rented was fucked up). But I like Godfathers and Apocalypse now far better than either of those.

As for Scorcese, I haven't seen much of his stuff. But I have seen Gangs of NY, Taxi Driver, and GoodFellas. I thought they were all really good, with Taxi Driver being my favourite and GoodFellas being my least.

Pfan, did you mention a few pages back that you've only heard REM's first three albums? You need Automatic For The People, and soon. I'll PM you a link.

Pfan, did you mention a few pages back that you've only heard REM's first three albums? You need Automatic For The People, and soon. I'll PM you a link.

I was trying to go in order but never got around to Lifes Rich Pageant, so I may just give up on that.

Yeah, I understand that and can appreciate it. I really don't care for anything else Coppolla's done, but ignorance is bliss, right? Heh. As for Kubrick, I'd probably get slapped for saying this, but my two favourites that I've seen of his are Eyes Wide Shut and The Shining (I've seen A Clockwork Orange and the first half of Full Metal Jacket--fucking dvd I rented was fucked up). But I like Godfathers and Apocalypse now far better than either of those.

As for Scorcese, I haven't seen much of his stuff. But I have seen Gangs of NY, Taxi Driver, and GoodFellas. I thought they were all really good, with Taxi Driver being my favourite and GoodFellas being my least.

True, but I think a director's whole body of work should be looked at instead of cherry picking the best, you know? Coppola's three films, however, will always be some of the best of all-time, so that's great.

I've only seen 2001, Clockwork, Strangelove, and The Shining, but love all of them a hell of a lot. When I get the time, I'll go and finish watching the rest of his films.

I highly recommend continuing watching Scorsese's work. Raging Bull, After Hours, Mean Streets, The Last Temptation of Christ, The Departed, and The Aviator should not be missed.

Yeah, I wanted to comment on that, too.

If he's only heard the first three then you might as well send him fucking LRP, Document, Green, Out of Time, Monster, and NAIHF while you're at it.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I love that fucking band. Top 5 for me, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom