The CLAW - Part. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doing some thinking today and contemplating the comments by the designers that this show can't be played in fields, baseball stadiums, festivals, etc. The Claw was only designed for stadiums with upper tiers.

Hm...I got to thinking :hmm:

My theory is that the show's designers want to showcase effects JUST for the upper decks, as if to give them a bonus for having to sit further away from the action. We have been talking about "images" projected on the sides of the claw's cloth paneling, but what about any sort of curtain on TOP of the stage and the claw's legs...

Any chance we might see something like this?

Attachments

• DontExpectConcept.jpg
    DontExpectConcept.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 26
Here is DontExpect's picture if anyone can't see it as an attachment. (I hope you don't mind me posting it for you. I like it :) Sort of reminds me of the concept used in the Beatles Love show in Vegas when they pull the fabric cover over the bottom portion of the audience and the upper sections see it from above.)

DontExpectConcept.jpg

Here is DontExpect's picture if anyone can't see it as an attachment. (I hope you don't mind me posting it for you. I like it :) Sort of reminds me of the concept used in the Beatles Love show in Vegas when they pull the fabric cover over the bottom portion of the audience and the upper sections see it from above.)

DontExpectConcept.jpg

That looks really, really dangerous.

DontExpectConcept.jpg

I see that as a possibilty, Mark Fisher has worked on Cirque de Solei (spelling??) shows (Ka - Vegas) so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some influence in the U2 stage. The visuals for the most part have been shown to us on 360.com, how it all works is a mystery.....but the amount of lighting on the spire is pretty huge, it's not clear what's LED and what's projection yet so anything goes, I'm sure there's some secrets that haven't been made public...yet.

Just doing some thinking today and contemplating the comments by the designers that this show can't be played in fields, baseball stadiums, festivals, etc. The Claw was only designed for stadiums with upper tiers.

Hm...I got to thinking :hmm:

My theory is that the show's designers want to showcase effects JUST for the upper decks, as if to give them a bonus for having to sit further away from the action. We have been talking about "images" projected on the sides of the claw's cloth paneling, but what about any sort of curtain on TOP of the stage and the claw's legs...

Any chance we might see something like this?

I've been saying this for awhile, I really think the "cloth" will close in almost tent like with projections during parts of the show...

PHP:

Well if I know then I'll give a shit

:huh: You asked the question, so obviously you did give a shit...

It was just a silly question.

U2 are doing a tour. They are touring stadiums. They wanted to utilize the majority of the stadium, so they needed to be "in the round". How do you do a big show in the round, in a stadium where you have no ceiling to hang your rigging? You build a claw. So what does it do? It provides a way for U2 to do all these things...

To be honest, they should just stand on milk crates in a sea of spectators with the arena lights on.

That would be the best 360 degree view...

Also, what do you think the point of the spire is? So it can take records for height and obliterate them, I hope they do something visually to incorporate it/give it a purpose.

Also, what do you think the point of the spire is? So it can take records for height and obliterate them, I hope they do something visually to incorporate it/give it a purpose.

I'm pretty sure it's a lighting rig, there's a ton of eqipment hooked up to it, I'm not sure what it will project on to thought, as it is also on top (and underneath) the CLAW. Underneath we could have a projection screen (although I've heard it's LED), so maybe there's a projection screen somewhere else.

This is amazing. How will they test this baby tho? It just looks super dangerous...it's going to be really heavy in the middle section. Man.

I gotta say tho, it looks like they have enough space for gear to reproduce just about any special effect imagninable. I think we're about to be blown away!

Wasn't the Blackberry deal important to the general scheme of the show? And wasn't there talk a while back about audience-created content or something?

there hasn't really been any concrete news on what BB will offer in terms of phone/network technology for the tour. Maybe that discussion is best suited in another thread....but for now....

my thoughts:

RIM has money to promote their networking technology and could setup a mobile U2 phone/wifi network

U2 videos, band highlights, etc gets pushed to your phone

users can scan and switch to the U2 mobile network and make free calls or upload photos to the U2 / BB network to create a slideshow or photo mosaic

fans respond by phone to "people's choice song of the night"

RIM throws in ads where possible, and promotes the "next NHL team"

From the BB forums - it looks like they plan to release a BB called the "Tour" or simply re-market and repackage an existing unit by calling it the Tour.

I am starting to really dig the details they built into the claw (as a wannabe rigger, of course) like the drop down platforms on each side where they can load them with gear then simply raise them up with the cable or chain-driven motors.

Nice touch.

Looks like they also have some built in motors in the light grey Bonor-holder (Cockring, anyone?) to raise the spire.

Regarding imagery on top of the stage on the fabric - possible, but I have to imagine they want the fabric there to hide more than show. BUT - if they were to do it - it could be a cool concept. reminds me of the last Tool tour.

They had a flat white stage inside arenas with everything on stage basically painted white. They then hung a grid of video projectors in the lighting rig all facing straight down onto the stage.

It was an amazing concept - since the band is a very stationary group of players, the higher you were (literally and physically) in the arena, the better view you had because all the imagery was being projected down onto the flat surface of the stage.

It was visually stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom