The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
senrab said:
I really enjoyed following the Habs during the playoffs.

:up:

I think that the whole country was behind them tonight. I watched the game with a die-hard leafs fan, and even he was disappointed. I disagree with Don Cherry--I think that they played with heart, but didn't get the bounces, for whatever reasons. Montreal must've hit at least 15 goalposts during the series, while Philly were always getting timely breaks.

Tough loss, but they'll be back...with a more confident Carey Price. He was amazing in certain moments.

senrab said:
Looks like it. Go Pens

I'd love for the Rangers to push that series to the limit.

I think

1) they didn't screen Marty right away in the first game

2) Price was too young

25 in 100.................?

4407_3.jpg

senrab said:
I think

1) they didn't screen Marty right away in the first game

2) Price was too young

You could be right about both. They really cranked it up a notch with crashing the net in the first, but then had that dreadful second period when Price let in a couple of soft goals.

The spectacular saves he made, including the breakaway save, foreshadow that something truly brilliant is on the horizon for him...he's just not consistently brilliant right now. It's damn fun, though, watching him evolve. He's got unlimited potential.

senrab said:
25 in 100.................?

4407_3.jpg

That would be pretty cool. :up:

:sad:

The building was electric, and after Carey made a couple of bang-bang stops in the second period, I heard my ears ring, the ovation was so-ooo loud.

Oh well, only one team can win the Cup, and, just like the Penguins, young teams have to learn how to lose before they learn how to win. They`ll be back!

Sorry your team didn't win, it's always hard when you're there in person. Happened to me when the Sabres lost to Ottawa in Game 5 last year.

I'm now rooting for Pitt in the East, Detroit in the West.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I just want to find out who the hell Detroit is playing next. :waiting:

We'll soon find out! I'm watching the Dallas/SJ series for the first time. Holy intensity, those guys are really fighting for it. I'm thinking Dallas will prevail. If Detroit ends up winning the cup, Dan Cleary will be the first person from our province to get his name engraved. :up:

I'm still in Montreal withdrawal...can't get one image out of my mind: A distraught little kid in the stands wearing a Habs sweater and a big red light on his head. He looked so sad. :(

angelordevil said:

We'll soon find out! I'm watching the Dallas/SJ series for the first time. Holy intensity, those guys are really fighting for it. I'm thinking Dallas will prevail. If Detroit ends up winning the cup, Dan Cleary will be the first person from our province to get his name engraved. :up:

I'm still in Montreal withdrawal...can't get one image out of my mind: A distraught little kid in the stands wearing a Habs sweater and a big red light on his head. He looked so sad. :(
I am listening to nhl radio for almost 4 hours now,...:crazy:

Nothing like playoff OT when you don't have a horse in the race and can just enjoy it. Ridiculous save on Richards by Nabby, and just unconscious goaltending throughout by Turco. Sharks really outplayed Dallas in most of the OT (4th OT was Dallas' best IMO), but Morrow and Richards really played well. Too bad for San Jose and my man JR but that's what happens when you put yourself in a hole; no margin for error. I like Detroit in the WCF but if Turco plays like he has been it could be a longer series than you'd expect. Wings in 7.

As for the Flyers series...I hope the Habs fans in here aren't too down about this. It's a very young team up there and watching the playoffs it really seems like the balance of power is shifting/has shifted to the East and young improving clubs in Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia. The Habs do have some things to address though. They're a bit one-dimensional with speed and skill but not enough grit in their best players. Basically for you old-schoolers I think they have too many Stephane Richer/Gilbert Dionne types, and they need to balance that out with some Claude Lemieux/Kirk Muller type of players, guys that are a real pain in the ass to play against. Ditto on defense, they need to get more physical. Offseason priority has to be bringing in some gritty guys and a solid (not necessarily spectacular) power forward type, somebody who's good enough to play on one of the top 2 lines, and bringing in a more punishing presence on the blueline (maybe replacing the aging Brisebois). With the type of guys on that staff (Carbonneau, Jarvis, Muller, and Gainey upstairs) I think they probably agree. Which brings us to the big question...will Price be the guy? It's plainly obvious that the guy has world-class talent for a keeper, not even including his puckhandling skill. But his nonchalant "aw shucks" demeanor between the pipes might be a problem if it continues. There's very few guys who can project that type of attitude and succeed, the guy I think of immediately is Grant Fuhr, but there's other guys (Mike Liut, Bill Ranford). But for every keeper who wins that way there's a Dan Cloutier, and goalies like that just kill morale. He's very young though, and I think he'll be OK, but it will be interesting to watch.

OK now that I've babbled on about the Habs :) what about Flyers-Pens? Biron again is going to be the key, if he plays like he did against the Habs the Flyers can win this. The potential power play disparity concerns me though...the Habs had twice as many PP's as the Flyers did, and I'd expect the same in the Pittsburgh series. A parade of Flyers to the box will end up killing them, but if they can manage to stay out of the box the matchup is OK...Sid & Malkin notwithstanding I think overall the Habs are a faster club than the Pens, so if the Flyers dealt with Montreal's speed they should be able to cope with Pitt's. What the hell, homer picking again...Flyers in 6 :)

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I said "To The Bitter End" at the beginning of the season and I'm still here and more bitter than ever :wink:

As a side note I think "To The Bitter End" should be the Leaf's motto... that or "Better Luck Next Year"...

elevated_u2_fan said:

As a side note I think "To The Bitter End" should be the Leaf's motto... that or "Better Luck Next Year"...

What about "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, [...] try, try again"? :wink:

Rono said:
I am listening to nhl radio for almost 4 hours now,...:crazy:

I was thinking about you last night when it was about 2:15am EST, trying to figure if you would be listening and what time it is in the Netherlands!

I stayed awake for the whole game! UNBELIEVABLE goalie play.

I still can't believe Nabby made that save on Richards...one of the best stops I've seen maybe ever if you factor in that it's in an OT elimination game. If Turco doesn't stand on his head for 60 minutes or so how huge does that save look today?

If you don't have a rooting interest in the WCF the Stars are a good pick, you could do worse than cheer for Dave Tippett, a pretty good coach and a very nice guy.

CTU2fan said:
I still can't believe Nabby made that save on Richards...one of the best stops I've seen maybe ever if you factor in that it's in an OT elimination game.

Downright incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFMPIC5nbFg :drool: That whole window of time was an amazing display of goaltending...Turco was equal to the challenge just minutes later, when the play went up ice.

In terms of the next series, I think that Detroit will beat Dallas, ultimately, but they've got their hands full.

zoney! said:

I was thinking about you last night when it was about 2:15am EST, trying to figure if you would be listening and what time it is in the Netherlands!

I think it ended around 4:30 my time. Definitely a game for the ages.

Pretty cool that you were listening in, Rono, and so dedicated! Some of my greatest memories are connected with staying up into the early morning hours while watching Gretzky and the Kings from Los Angeles. Those moments seemed so magical, like the entire town was asleep, except for me, my dog, and the glow of the TV. I always felt like I was being so bad...my room was in the basement, and everyone thought I was asleep...memories. :wink:

angelordevil said:

Downright incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFMPIC5nbFg :drool: That whole window of time was an amazing display of goaltending...Turco was equal to the challenge just minutes later, when the play went up ice.

In terms of the next series, I think that Detroit will beat Dallas, ultimately, but they've got their hands full.

I think it ended around 4:30 my time. Definitely a game for the ages.

Pretty cool that you were listening in, Rono, and so dedicated! Some of my greatest memories are connected with staying up into the early morning hours while watching Gretzky and the Kings from Los Angeles. Those moments seemed so magical, like the entire town was asleep, except for me, my dog, and the glow of the TV. I always felt like I was being so bad...my room was in the basement, and everyone thought I was asleep...memories. :wink:
It is a lot of fun listening ( or looking through sopcast ) in combination with the stars board. Only the time difference breaks me down lol. A 7 hours difference with Dallas. It is also a good way to meet people in Dallas. I already have seen 14 games in the american airlines center i met some fans for a beer and learning them dutch swear words . And they help to get me Stars pucks :up:

Every time when they play i think about the practice of the stars, how easy it is to talk to them,.get a picture ore a signature. They realy take their time for the fans ( even when there are 300 plus people in line.)

I never make predictions because it is hockey,..and every thing can happen.

I think the wings are smarter and the stars are working harder so it will be a even match,....

angelordevil said:

Some of my greatest memories are connected with staying up into the early morning hours while watching Gretzky and the Kings from Los Angeles. Those moments seemed so magical, like the entire town was asleep, except for me, my dog, and the glow of the TV. I always felt like I was being so bad...my room was in the basement, and everyone thought I was asleep...memories. :wink:

Totally agree. And in particular with the Kings...I remember that OT goal against Calgary in the scramble and the puck went in just over Mike Vernon's outstretched glove, if he was more than 5'5" or so he'd have had it. But I always watch the OT games, I can't help it...starting with the epic Isles/Caps one where LaFontaine ended it on a slapper through legs that poor Bob Mason never saw. Games like that, I have to watch because you could see something magical...either a historically long game or an amazing ending. Nothing like NHL playoff OT, nothing even close IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom