SPOILERS - Rehearsals at Nou Camp Part TRES - SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they didnt switch the setlist around to much for ZooTv or Popmart did they? they where stadium only tours so what makes people think they will be switching it up all the time for same city shows?

ZooTV had two arena legs, but, no, the setlist didn't change too terribly much from night to night. However, as the tour evolved, there were significant changes, even though a basic 'flow' stayed:

U2 Lakeland, 1992-02-29, Lakeland Arena, ZOO TV Tour - U2 on tour
U2 Tokyo, 1993-12-10, Egg Dome, ZOO TV Tour - U2 on tour

PopMart's setlist evolved a bit, too, although most of the changes were done within the first leg:

U2 Las Vegas, 1997-04-25, Sam Boyd Stadium, Popmart Tour - U2 on tour
U2 Johannesburg, 1998-03-21, Johannesburg Stadium, Popmart Tour - U2 on tour

On the other hand, Vertigo's setlist changed massively between San Diego and Honolulu:

U2 San Diego, 2005-03-28, San Diego Sports Arena, Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour
U2 Honolulu, 2006-12-09, Aloha Stadium, Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour

You wouldn't believe how easy this is to do.

I do live performances, and I find a little practicing works out the kinks with the lyrics.

The only time I've ever screwed up lyrically when performing live was when I was performing a song I'd literally heard once, an hour before we performed. I learned most of the lyrics in that hour, and had a sheet there just in case, which I only glanced at once.

So, I know what it's like. I think this, like the lack of variety in the setlists, can be attributed to Bono's admitted dislike of practicing frequently.

Extreme like how? If he forgot the words or if he was worried about screwing them up, I can see the song sheet. No brainer.

Isn't it though? Given the fact that statistically U2 has played the majority of it's shows over the last 20 years in front of anywhere from 20 to 80 thousand people because arena shows = 20000 and stadium shows = 80000, what is your point again? Or should I have written 20/80000? Next. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't believe how easy this is to do.

I just found it pretty rare that you sing 90% of the song and then you have to leave your guitar player hanging while you shuffle off to a roadie to get the words...thought it was embarrassing...:rolleyes:

I just the way you put the numbers...hadn't seen anyone do that...jesus...chip on shoulder is large...I had seen him recover better when he had forgotten the words..just thought the moment was ackward :rolleyes:

next

I do live performances, and I find a little practicing works out the kinks with the lyrics.

The only time I've ever screwed up lyrically when performing live was when I was performing a song I'd literally heard once, an hour before we performed. I learned most of the lyrics in that hour, and had a sheet there just in case, which I only glanced at once.

So, I know what it's like. I think this, like the lack of variety in the setlists, can be attributed to Bono's admitted dislike of practicing frequently.

Pfan...I'm not discounting what you do live. I think I've peeked at a couple of your setlists. Can you honestly say that you're comparing apples to apples though? 25-30 songs per night? Hundreds of shows? 25 years of some of those songs? Realistically, no. Neither can I, really, and I practice daily. I don't think it has anything to do with practice. I think some of the flubs are because of doing the songs too many times. :shrug:

You'd be surprised what that single glance at a lyric sheet can do, it's the combination to the lock and once sprung the rest follows. I've actually scribbled the first two words of a song on the inside of my hand and remembered a song I'd learned, and the whole thing came back. I've only actually used a lyric book once (very first time I ever did U2 songs in 2002 or something..and only had to see the title in some cases to recall it all. It's weird how that works.

A really good trick for learning lyrics and never forgetting them is writing the song out in your own handwriting a few times. If nothing else, it makes your brain remember what a pain it was to do and it forces the recall. :lol: Maybe Bono should try this ;)

ZooTV had two arena legs, but, no, the setlist didn't change too terribly much from night to night. However, as the tour evolved, there were significant changes, even though a basic 'flow' stayed:

U2 Lakeland, 1992-02-29, Lakeland Arena, ZOO TV Tour - U2 on tour
U2 Tokyo, 1993-12-10, Egg Dome, ZOO TV Tour - U2 on tour

PopMart's setlist evolved a bit, too, although most of the changes were done within the first leg:

U2 Las Vegas, 1997-04-25, Sam Boyd Stadium, Popmart Tour - U2 on tour
U2 Johannesburg, 1998-03-21, Johannesburg Stadium, Popmart Tour - U2 on tour

On the other hand, Vertigo's setlist changed massively between San Diego and Honolulu:

U2 San Diego, 2005-03-28, San Diego Sports Arena, Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour
U2 Honolulu, 2006-12-09, Aloha Stadium, Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour

Bootleg geek :heart::heart::heart::heart:

G, my messenger is going crazy with the subscribed to forum emails. Go back to using multiple quotes pleeeze :lol:

Pfan...I'm not discounting what you do live. I think I've peeked at a couple of your setlists. Can you honestly say that you're comparing apples to apples though? 25-30 songs per night? Hundreds of shows? 25 years of some of those songs? Realistically, no. Neither can I, really, and I practice daily. I don't think it has anything to do with practice. I think some of the flubs are because of doing the songs too many times. :shrug:

You'd be surprised what that single glance at a lyric sheet can do, it's the combination to the lock and once sprung the rest follows. I've actually scribbled the first two words of a song on the inside of my hand and remembered a song I'd learned, and the whole thing came back. I've only actually used a lyric book once (very first time I ever did U2 songs in 2002 or something..and only had to see the title in some cases to recall it all. It's weird how that works.

A really good trick for learning lyrics and never forgetting them is writing the song out in your own handwriting a few times. If nothing else, it makes your brain remember what a pain it was to do and it forces the recall. :lol: Maybe Bono should try this ;)

A little bit, sure, but then again only a few songs I play I wrote. I really believe it has to do with Bono's displeasure with practice. I'm quite familiar with instances of memory recall and times when you need it. If I'm properly prepared, there's never a problem. Bono admittedly is not always properly prepared. There's a correlation from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom