South Sandwich Islands Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: exactly.

oh no, we can't let the lower or middle class have the opportunity to succeed! so we can just do away with the pesky middle class altogether :up:

Let's out-source the middle class's jobs to other countries and then bitch that the cheeky darkies are getting American jobs. Who needs logic!

Well, it's in the mixing process. The first one, I mean. Hopefully we're gonna record again in a year or so.

At least you're already planning for a second album rather than pulling an October.

Just listened to Slit Wrist. My hearing's cleared up enough that I think I got a good impression of it. Not a bad track, though it didn't entirely grab me. I'm now onto Control and enjoying it more. :up:

So, what's the good word?

Oh, and how bad was the closing ceremony? Boy, London's 2012 logo sucks a lot.

We're listening to three unmixed songs by Andrew's band:

And yeah, the Closing Ceremony was shit. Was there even any guitar in Whole Lotta Love? It might as well have not been there. Most of the music really just seemed to be obnoxious wailing accentuated by poor acoustics.

London 2012's logo is ridiculous.

At least you're already planning for a second album rather than pulling an October.

Ha, no. Actually, we were thinking of scrapping these recordings completely, or turning the 8-song record into a 4-song EP or something because the sound is so entirely different from what we're doing now.

Good to know. I believe it'll probably be out by the winter sometime. We still have a few touch ups to record and then mixing and mastering and then actually getting them made.

Ah, coolness. I'd pick up a copy. :up:

Do you guys intend to tour much, or is that not really something on the cards?

Ah, coolness. I'd pick up a copy. :up:

Do you guys intend to tour much, or is that not really something on the cards?

Not really in the cards. We can't even come close to any semblance of affording it. We all have friends in bands that tour and they come home even more broke than they left. Venues are cheapskates these days. You could headline a club on a weekend and unless you're well known, you'd have to get 300 people there before you'd even start making money (and that's on $10 entrance).

I'd love to tour if we could make $500 a night off the venue and $250 on merch. But that kind of networking would probably take 5 to 10 years to build up. And by then, that wouldn't be enough money to make it worth it.

Not really in the cards. We can't even come close to any semblance of affording it. We all have friends in bands that tour and they come home even more broke than they left. Venues are cheapskates these days. You could headline a club on a weekend and unless you're well known, you'd have to get 300 people there before you'd even start making money (and that's on $10 entrance).

Ouch, that's pretty harsh. What about getting a support slot for a bigger band? I imagine those aren't the easiest things to come by, but does that pay better at all?

Just done listening to the tracks, Andrew. Enjoyed all three. Control was my favourite. I could see the Vertigo comparison at the start of Slit Wrist too! :lol:

Now I think I should start on dinner ...

Ouch, that's pretty harsh. What about getting a support slot for a bigger band? I imagine those aren't the easiest things to come by, but does that pay better at all?

Well, I had friends who were offered the unbelievable chance to open 4 European shows for U2 on the Elevation Tour. I don't know how they came by the opportunity, but I do know that they didn't do it. Why, you might ask? Because they would have had to pay $10,000 just to get the shows, and then pay for their trip there, their hotels while there, for their equipment to be shipped there (and back), and it just wasn't worth it. It might have made their career as a band, but it would have completely broken them financially as people (especially if nothing came of it).

Well, I had friends who were offered the unbelievable chance to open 4 European shows for U2 on the Elevation Tour. I don't know how they came by the opportunity, but I do know that they didn't do it. Why, you might ask? Because they would have had to pay $10,000 just to get the shows, and then pay for their trip there, their hotels while there, for their equipment to be shipped there (and back), and it just wasn't worth it. It might have made their career as a band, but it would have completely broken them financially as people (especially if nothing came of it).

Holy fucking shit, on all counts. That's insane. I thought opening for U2 would have been an undeniably profitable proposition.

And I'm sure they would have been much better than the shitty openers the Elevation Tour ended up having. Like Kelis. :|

Holy fucking shit, on all counts. That's insane. I thought opening for U2 would have been an undeniably profitable proposition.

And I'm sure they would have been much better than the shitty openers the Elevation Tour ended up having. Like Kelis. :|

I'm guessing it was because they were really unknown. Probably a more stable/sucky band would've profited. I bet Kings of Leon made a ton of money. Hell, I bet Arcade Fire made a million just off having U2 use their song right before taking the stage. But if an unestablished band goes for it? Well, then I guess it's their right to take up the initiative to get the exposure. And then said band had better fucking impress everyone enough to make them wanna buy a t-shirt and an album so said band's members could eat and buy gas during the tour.

I'm guessing it was because they were really unknown. Probably a more stable/sucky band would've profited. I bet Kings of Leon made a ton of money. Hell, I bet Arcade Fire made a million just off having U2 use their song right before taking the stage. But if an unestablished band goes for it? Well, then I guess it's their right to take up the initiative to get the exposure. And then said band had better fucking impress everyone enough to make them wanna buy a t-shirt and an album so said band's members could eat and buy gas during the tour.
yikes :|

Heh, I wonder how it worked out for Kings Of Leon given how many people bitched about them! But yeah, U2 using Wake Up must've made absolute stacks for Arcade Fire. People were falling all over that track.

See, I would've thought the opening band would have received some sort of payment or split of the ticket profits or whatever.

Heh, I wonder how it worked out for Kings Of Leon given how many people bitched about them! But yeah, U2 using Wake Up must've made absolute stacks for Arcade Fire. People were falling all over that track.

See, I would've thought the opening band would have received some sort of payment or split of the ticket profits or whatever.

Well, if you're Kings Of Leon and have had your music videos on MTV, you probably do. But if you're little Common Heroes out of Maple Valley, WA, you really don't at all.

Have a good one, Andrew! :wave:

I'm now cooking my enchiladas. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom