Songs of Surrender - Discussion, reviews, impressions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I've just realised what they are trying to do here. It hit me while watching the new Disney doc they did with Letterman. This is Bono and The Edges take on "U2 do Ed Sheeran" to get back to the top of the Pop Charts. In that way it makes absolute sense and looking at the album charts its worked. I have never ever seen the reason why Ed Sheeran's busker style shite music has sold so massively. But it seems that todays music buying public can't get enough of it.

Other than the Ed Sheeran part and the get back on the pop charts part, this is spot on!

I don’t think a band whose members are all in their early 60s are really trying for the pop charts in the year 2023. They don’t need to even do anything anymore other than be a legacy act. These songs are just pretty interesting ( and some so-so ) alternate takes on songs spanning their 43+ year old recording career. I have a feeling they’re realizing it might be getting close to the end.. they can reflect on their older material and then figure out where they want to go next. We might get that raw rock album. We might get some atmospheric album, who knows. I think Songs of Surrender is cool. But I’m not overthinking it’s point and just taking it in and taking it for what it is.

Being able to look back and maybe recenter yourself is the right of every artist. The fact it's taken U2 so long to get to this point is a testament to how strong they always were as musicians and songwriters, a fact SOS proves, and demolishes the criticisms about how they were all just audio smoke and mirror masters over the years. Also:

https://twitter.com/GTSewell/status/1637354224727248896

Anyone calling this a cash in needs their heads checked. These versions of their songs are hardly going to become radio staples. This is more for die hard fans, which shows it's anything but a cash in.

As others have said, at this stage in their careers, they have every right to do these types of projects. U2 have nothing left to prove. They've done it all.

Sadly it looks like SOS will only hit the top 10 in the US. Even though RIAA certifies this album as 4 sales per unit, soundscan just counts it as 1, so no boost on the charts for the 4 disc set.

I heard an acoustic song by the artist Jack Johnson last night, and I immediately thought "wow he's trying to sound like Ed Sheeran".

Sadly it looks like SOS will only hit the top 10 in the US. Even though RIAA certifies this album as 4 sales per unit, soundscan just counts it as 1, so no boost on the charts for the 4 disc set.

Top 10 is fine! They already schemed their way to a #1 for SOE with the ticket bundling. A #1 via multiplier would seem similarly unearned.

Hear me out. A new album of ludicrous guitar called "Legacy Act" in the same vein the title POP was meant to be tongue-in-cheek (but the masses won't get the joke). It will be billed as "The most relevant album you've ever heard by a band that should have packed it up and gone home!" Bring back the irony! Let's do it!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/u2-songs-of-surrender/

what you'd expect...

If Radiohead put out an album like this and they played all the music the same as the original except they put some trombone in it, they would rate it 100.

Some sane comments towards the end of the review, but he lost me at the beginning when he said that Stories for Boys does not improve the song at all.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/u2-songs-of-surrender/

what you'd expect...

If Radiohead put out an album like this and they played all the music the same as the original except they put some trombone in it, they would rate it 100.

Some sane comments towards the end of the review, but he lost me at the beginning when he said that Stories for Boys does not improve the song at all.

5.7 from Pitchfork is basically a ringing endorsement lol.

And they are the first reviewer I’ve seen that actually knew that Edge sang Desire, so hats off to them there.

I think what annoys me most is that the running theme in the more negative reviews is the misconception that the songs were recorded to be improved versions of the originals.

I'm surprised to see it heading for number 1 here, but pleased of course. I also now feel, as someone else has said, the band have nothing left to prove as far as I am concerned. I've been pleasantly happy listening to this album, even some tracks that I really didn't think I'd be bothered about, so overall I am happy they decided to put this out there.

This is a pleasant treat and I have enjoyed a good 75% of it.

If God Will Send His Angels is great, I Will Follow, Bad, Electrical Storm, All I Want Is You, Two Hearts Beat As One, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo..... Some real gems. they are nice takes and I am happy we got them.

As you were.:wave:

I'm through the first disc and it's mostly a mixed bag for me. I really like the new 11OCTT and the musical arrangements on Bad and Every Breaking Wave work out well. The last minute or so of Pride is strong.

But jfc these lyric changes are driving me nuts. The wholesale changes are hardly ever an improvement because Bono is a pale shadow of what he was as a writer at his peak, and the tiny word changes he makes are consistently a distraction. I'm starting to make a game out of guessing what the next word change is going to be.

Overall thoughts, since I haven't shared yet: I really dig about 50% of it. The low points are related to

1. Bono's vocal choices. Not just talking about change in lyrics, but too many songs sound like what I'm referring to as Bono's "morning voice" where just a little more warming up and a few more takes could've smoothed a lot out. The Disney+ special already showed how much stronger he could have performed some of the standards. The other thing I can't get past is he also seems to think these need to be lullaby-style where he still tries to over-emote, but in a whispery way. Yikes. I have to admit I'm getting used to it upon the 2nd listen though.
2. Unnecessary versions. You could argue they're all unnecessary, I suppose; but I like the nature of this project. Alternate versions have always appealed to me as an artist and I'm proud of them for going for it. However, we already have/know stripped down versions of some of these and they're just fine.
3. This one is a bit more personal taste related, but POP (my favorite album) is represented once and it feels like they tried to make the song less interesting on purpose. It's my biggest disappointment of the whole thing.

Highlights:
1. Dirty Day. I'd love to hear a whole redo of Zooropa in a similar style; and I'm talking specifically about this style. The way they did Stay just falls flat for me.
2. The big changes. I hate the new Miracle chorus because the original works so well for me, but I love the experimentation of it. Desire vocals are "out there" but all the better for it. GOOYOW (my biggest surprise moment) changed the feel to be more fun. Lincoln's ghost works a lot better when all the lyrics are geared toward the whole "freedom" thing instead of just a few lines. It doesn't sound like BD-lite anymore.
3. It feels like a passion project and not a tip-toe around how it'll be received over-production effort which is very refreshing and hopefully a sign of things to come.

This is all first impression stuff though and I'm sure I'll fall in/out of favor with different parts of it as time goes on.

it's hard to give something that is ultimately a glorified greatest hits album an actual grade. i mean - i think this is a solid 8 out of 10 for their intended goal - but i can't justify ranking it among their best albums, and giving it an 8 of 10 would put it just behind Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, which - yea, i'm not going to do that.

so let's just separate it out from the albums and put it in a category by itself. it's U2's greatest collection of reimagined songs. huzzah!

i'm really glad they gave us this project. these past 6 months - starting with bono's book - does seem like the opening salvo to the U2 "end game." not that this necessarily means this next album is the last one, or the next tour is the last tour - but it could be, and even if it isn't, it's close. and what better way to erase some of the bad vibes from the 2010s than by reminding people of the incredible history of this band? the amazing songs they've written? that's what this, along with bono's book, the letterman doc, and eventually the Vegas shows - are accomplishing.

my only qualm with these songs is (as others have stated) that some of the changed lyrics were unnecessary - looking specifically here at with or without you, streets, i will follow, miracle drug. i hate the miracle drug chorus. it didn't need to be changed. slow streets? i get the want to include streets in any career spanning retrospective, but some songs should stay up-tempo, and streets is one of them. it's a song that exudes energy - and all energy is sapped away from it in this re-do. dislike.

i don't mind the lyric changes at the end of sunday bloody sunday. i don't think the bad changes were necessary, but they also don't bother me.

i felt walk on would be clunky after reading the lyrics and seeing the god awful kennedy center rendition - but they work. out of control's changes - i.e. the chorus - works really well - as it pretty much combines the studio and live versions.

the miracle's new chorus makes the song for me. it's so much better.

stories for boys plays like a sequel to the original. stories for boys part 2, if you will. stories for geezers. which brings us to the next obvious discussion part...

the edge's singing.

it's really a hit or miss thing for me. it works on stories for boys. he sounds like kermit the frog on peace on earth. i would have preferred hearing bono sing lead on all of the songs.

overall i love the project. some of the tracks i'll never relive again, some may become preferred over the original.

my personal highlights...
--who's gonna ride your wild horses
--red hill mining town
--invisible
--dirty day
--the miracle
--city of blinding lights
--vertigo
--i still haven't found what i'm looking for
--electrical storm
--if god will send his angels
--stay

songs that aren't on this that i wish would have been because they totally would have worked
--please
--gone
--moment of surrender
--twilight
--wire
--mothers of the disappeared
--the wanderer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom