Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The trouble is that in America if you're not Taylor Swift or Iggy Whatshername then Twitter and Instagram hate you. If you're in countries outside the US, you barely know who Taylor Swift is. The US market is truly like another planet. U2 would be wise to leave it the eff alone and just tour here for the fans that are more than willing to pay to see them multiple times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

On what planet does Twitter like Iggy Azalea? I always find it funny when people talk shit on social media users without understanding anything about them.

The trouble is that in America if you're not Taylor Swift or Iggy Whatshername then Twitter and Instagram hate you. If you're in countries outside the US, you barely know who Taylor Swift is. The US market is truly like another planet. U2 would be wise to leave it the eff alone and just tour here for the fans that are more than willing to pay to see them multiple times.

Or Ariane Grande or 5 Seconds of Summer or Country Pop. Bono and Taylor were talking it up at the post Oscars parties... :huh:

Not sure that U2 should leave the US alone completely. I get where you are coming from, though. I'd still like them to do at least one of the late night shows and hoping they'll do Austin City Limits. :yes:

On what planet does Twitter like Iggy Azalea? I always find it funny when people talk shit on social media users without understanding anything about them.

I wouldn't say that quote belies a complete and utter misunderstanding of what social media is about. You could simply plug in another media sensation's name with more 'relevance' and the spirit remains intact.

Also, I have no idea who those people are and which name would be an apt substitution. I'm totally clueless. Seriously.

Kanye? He's popular, right?

I wouldn't say that quote belies a complete and utter misunderstanding of what social media is about. You could simply plug in another media sensation's name with more 'relevance' and the spirit remains intact.

Also, I have no idea who those people are and which name would be an apt substitution. I'm totally clueless. Seriously.

Kanye? He's popular, right?

Ever see what's trending on Twitter? Usually it is ridiculous things.

I believe #alexfromtarget is trending at the moment. I have no idea who that is but apparently it's a "hot topic" on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

America tends to be egocentric when it comes to U2. When they are talking about us we listen. JT R&H ATYCLB(superbowl) I like that U2 are somewhat ignoring US. other than destroying our iphones :giggle:

I find it rather fitting that the promo activities re. an album that focuses on 'first experiences' mostly focuses on Europe.
I expect the promotion for Songs of Experience (if and when released) to focus more on the rest of the world (read: US).

Hey do you guys think it was smart for U2 to release the album the way they did? I can see pros and cons on both sides.

Discuss.
bada-bing1.jpg

America tends to be egocentric when it comes to U2. When they are talking about us we listen. JT R&H ATYCLB(superbowl) I like that U2 are somewhat ignoring US. other than destroying our iphones :giggle:

Americans sure seemed to like UABRS and Achtung and they bought a lot of 360 tickets.

Sent from

so number now at 33 million and counting

Say what you want about the album, the release method, etc. This number clearly states that U2 got what they wanted. An obscene number of people who got their album. They got the headlines, they got into the conversation among the younger crowd, and of course, will sell out whatever tour they cook up. The money isnt in the album. It's in touring and exclusive content. Guy Oseary knew that. Which is why U2 brought him on board. :up:

From the site

The scale of Songs of Innocence‘s release is unprecedented for two reasons. First, in the days of physical albums, it would have been completely out of the question for any label, retailer, or label-retailer combination to distribute a record to a consumer base the size of the one enjoyed by Apple and iTunes. Second, no artist(s) have yet had the audacity to assume that every person in a consumer base that large and diverse would want their album. So to pretend like every iTunes user willingly and joyfully accepted the “gift” given them by Tim Cook and Bono is to ignore the very real fact that not all iTunes users are U2 fans. According to Apple, approximately 33 million people have accessed the album, but there have been no numbers yet on how many have deleted it or ignored it.

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/1...-now-beyonce-u2-thom-yorke-and-surprise-albu/

The 33 million number is the old orginal number that came out weeks ago. If you look on the article, you can click on the bit were it says "aprox 33 million" that link then takes you to this which is an old article.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...songs-of-innocence-apple-itunes-free-20140909

From the site

The scale of Songs of Innocence‘s release is unprecedented for two reasons. First, in the days of physical albums, it would have been completely out of the question for any label, retailer, or label-retailer combination to distribute a record to a consumer base the size of the one enjoyed by Apple and iTunes. Second, no artist(s) have yet had the audacity to assume that every person in a consumer base that large and diverse would want their album. So to pretend like every iTunes user willingly and joyfully accepted the “gift” given them by Tim Cook and Bono is to ignore the very real fact that not all iTunes users are U2 fans. According to Apple, approximately 33 million people have accessed the album, but there have been no numbers yet on how many have deleted it or ignored it.

This Is How It's Gonna Be Now: Beyonc?, U2, Thom Yorke, and Surprise Album Releases | PopMatters

The 33 million number is the old orginal number that came out weeks ago. If you look on the article, you can click on the bit were it says "aprox 33 million" that link then takes you to this which is an old article.

Bono Reveals Secrets of U2's Surprise LP 'Songs of Innocence' | Rolling Stone

Two days after the grand rollout, I met a friend for lunch and he spent the first ten minutes griping "I got some U2 crap somehow. How the fuck do I get U2 off my phone?" He's 28, the age group U2 are presumably looking for to replenish their aging fanbase. Rather than leap to U2's defence (as if) I couldn't stop laughing. Does Apple have the numbers of people who called up to complain? Or complained on social media? Or those who didn't complain but were still mildly pissed? Because those numbers could easily surpass the oft quoted 33m.

Two days after the grand rollout, I met a friend for lunch and he spent the first ten minutes griping "I got some U2 crap somehow. How the fuck do I get U2 off my phone?" He's 28, the age group U2 are presumably looking for to replenish their aging fanbase.

If this really happened then I fear the art of conversation is dead. If at 28 I would start a conversation about what's in my iTunes, than I am indeed the most boring man in the world.

If this really happened then I fear the art of conversation is dead. If at 28 I would start a conversation about what's in my iTunes, than I am indeed the most boring man in the world.

Grandpa on iPhone complains about conversation not being what it was in his day.

I've got a cloud you can yell at.

Two days after the grand rollout, I met a friend for lunch and he spent the first ten minutes griping "I got some U2 crap somehow. How the fuck do I get U2 off my phone?" He's 28, the age group U2 are presumably looking for to replenish their aging fanbase. Rather than leap to U2's defence (as if) I couldn't stop laughing. Does Apple have the numbers of people who called up to complain? Or complained on social media? Or those who didn't complain but were still mildly pissed? Because those numbers could easily surpass the oft quoted 33m.

i am embarrassed to be human sometimes :crack:

I have laughed in the face of everyone thats moaned to me about it.? it does amuse me that people got so worked up about it.

One chap from work goes to the gym alot and the album went straight on his phone without him knowing. When he was working out to some dance music u2 just started playing ? he was like "WTF"?

Does Apple have the numbers of people who called up to complain? Or complained on social media? Or those who didn't complain but were still mildly pissed? Because those numbers could easily surpass the oft quoted 33m.

It doesn't matter.
I'm pretty sure that the number of people that complains or hate or ignores McDonalds is larger than the number of people that buys it. Same with Coke?
Why would they care?

They reached a lot more people than if it had been released in a traditional way, some people that would never listen to their album now has listened to it and some even liked it. And some even went back and checked their previous albums.
Once in the tour, maybe people will know and care about the new songs unlike in the last tour, when they had to go back to the classics.

They don't have to care about everybody.

NIN's Trent Reznor Says Paying For Music Is A 'Relic' From The Past ::Nine Inch Nails News ::antiMusic.com

"I've spent my life trying to make this thing that now everybody now thinks should be free. With U2, there was an incentive to get in front of as many eyes as possible. I can see what was appealing to them about that and they're getting paid for it.

"There's the argument, 'Did that help further devalue music?' Yes, I think it did. When you put your music on, or allow your music to be on YouTube, is that devaluing music? There's a whole generation of kids that listen to music on You Tube. They're not going to pay a dollar for that song - why would you? it's a complex problem."

He's right. If I hear a song that I like, I go to YouTube and watch the video and listen to the song.

In the past, I would go out and buy the single or the album and usually regret it afterword. Best example for me is in 1997 when Prodigy came out I (thought) I liked Fire Starter and one other song. I bought the cassette(yep, I didn't have a fancy CD player in my car) hated almost all the songs and never listened to it again.

A few weeks ago I heard a song I liked but I'm not going to say what it is because I will be ridiculed(rightly so perhaps), I went to Youtube, listened to it and actually liked it more because of the video!

I still like the song but I'm not going to buy it but if this artist has another good song....hmmmm(they are a pretty talented person/act)

Don't be offended but I think what is really impressive is people under 30 don't knowing how to use their smartphones.

Don't be offended but I think what is really impressive is people under 30 don't knowing how to use their smartphones.

No offense taken, but.... Saying that a certain demographic don't know how to do this that or the other, or don't know how to start a conversation (whatever the hell that means) is a tad elitist. Especially when the individual in question simply doesn't care for a certain type of music by a certain band foisted on HIS smartphone.

No offense taken, but.... Saying that a certain demographic don't know how to do this that or the other, or don't know how to start a conversation (whatever the hell that means) is a tad elitist. Especially when the individual in question simply doesn't care for a certain type of music by a certain band foisted on HIS smartphone.

No one said anything about "starting" a conversation, and no one based anything on this person not liking a certain type of music.

Back
Top Bottom