Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean... Really?

First, yea, there was a Spotify ban. It was apple exclusive for a month. iTunes, iTunes radio and Beats music. That's it.

Second... they pushed it to every iTunes account without consent. The numbers are impressive, yes, but need to be taken with a gigantic grain of salt as we really have no idea what percentage of those who downloaded and/or listened via iTunes radio, beats, or just plain shuffling their library actually did so in purpose.

Yeah. If it would have been Vanilla Ice who partnered with iTunes he would have had the biggest release in history. Or Justine Beiber. Or One Direction. Or Billy Ray Cyrus. Or anyone else.

The 33 million figure is meaningless in terms of an accomplishment by U2. It's kind of embarrassing that's what people hang their hat on to demonstrate how successful this record is. If anything, it's an accomplishment for Apple in terms of how many iTunes accounts they've managed to cultivate.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great they gave the record away for free and all, I think it was on balance a good move for them, and it's to U2's credit that their 30 years of success has put them in a position to do something like this...but it's not as if the obscene numbers speak at all to what people really think about U2 or the record.

It's not meaningless, and it would not have been as high if it were one of the artists you've mentioned, as not everybody is dumb enough to have auto download turned on, and would have been HIGHER for the first two you mentioned, because the world sucks...

but the numbers are certainly embellished quite a bit and can not be used as an accurate measuring stick.

It's not meaningless, and it would not have been as high if it were one of the artists you've mentioned, as not everybody is dumb enough to have auto download turned on, and would have been HIGHER for the first two you mentioned, because the world sucks...

The download number would have been different with a less (or more) popular artist, to be sure. I'm referring to the "biggest release in history" story, which would have been the case no matter who the artist was simply by virtue of dropping it in everyone's library. Remember, Apple made that claim the day of the release, before a single copy was downloaded, automatically or not.

The download number would have been different with a less (or more) popular artist, to be sure. I'm referring to the "biggest release in history" story, which would have been the case no matter who the artist was simply by virtue of dropping it in everyone's library. Remember, Apple made that claim the day of the release, before a single copy was downloaded, automatically or not.

How does the auto download work? If you have it set to auto download new purchases does it download immediately or when you log in to iTunes? In other words would auto download volume be exclusive in day/week 1 or spread out over time?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

How does the auto download work? If you have it set to auto download new purchases does it download immediately or when you log in to iTunes? In other words would auto download volume be exclusive in day/week 1 or spread out over time?

Normally, if you have "Auto download new purchases" checked in iTunes, new purchases will download when you open the iTunes App on your Mac or PC (assuming you're online and logged into your iTunes account). On the iPhone it would just occur whenever the phone syncs.

In the case of the U2 record, I'd imagine Apple staggered the uploads to people who had auto download checked so as to not overload their servers.

About the album... I tried a few days ago to play it for an audience with people not used to U2, but definetely loving rock music, and the result was a bit the way I expected: This is Where you Can Reach Me Now, Troubles and mainly Crystal Ballroom were the main highlights for them. They were really excited to discover this songs in particular!

Worldwide chart

20- U2 - Songs Of Innocence
Island / Interscope - 37.000

458,000 in total.

It's also entirely possible that the dopes who had auto download on didn't realize the album downloaded for a few days

It's very true. I saw a lot of iTweets 2-3 weeks after the album was iReleased saying that they were so pissed that the album was on their iPhone. That iHate was probably more entertaining than the first wave.

Worldwide album sales

Number 20

week 7

U2 - Songs Of Innocence

It was number 20 last week with 37,000 sales,so the sales went up abit

I think it will make a run at 1 million total sold once the holidays are over.

If it did do a million i think that would be some achievement.

Taking into account the biggest selling album of the year is at less then 3 million (taking out frozen). 1 million would be superb!

I'm at a Barnes & noble in Columbus, ohio. They don't have SOI AANYWHERE! I've looked all over. Their U2 section has 80-90, 90-00, u218, ATYCLB, Achtung, Joshua Tree and R&H. It's a decent size area of CD selections. That says a lot to me.

Interesting you mention this. I was at an FYE today, and there were tons of SoI CDs stacked up around the store, whereas I only saw 1 copy on the day of the physical release.

I think it will reach 600,000 by December 31st.

Some stores still have SOI in the "new releases" section. Picked up a deluxe copy last weekend at Walmart since my son asked for his own copy as an Xmas gift. It was still right in the front of the entertainment section with the "new releases". Not back in the Pop/Rock section. So maybe they are pushing for holiday sales?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm at a Barnes & noble in Columbus, ohio. They don't have SOI AANYWHERE! I've looked all over. Their U2 section has 80-90, 90-00, u218, ATYCLB, Achtung, Joshua Tree and R&H. It's a decent size area of CD selections. That says a lot to me.

A month ago SOI was displayed with the CDs at the checkout line of our BN. I haven't checked for it there since, but I'm going to get the MOJO issue tomorrow, so I'll check if they are still there.

m2 @ @u2 says we aren't done for the year for U2 announcements. So maybe this is a restocking push for the holidays and we will get that promo or tour announcement.

If the tour hasn't gone on sale by now then I think they'll wait until January.

January at the earliest. They may want to wait until they are sure of Bono's physical therapy being on schedule and his recovery going well. I'm sure they dont want a repeat of the rescheduling mess that happened during 360.

Grammy Awards are Feb 8th. We'll most likely have something by then. :yes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

If you do not know who U2 is, I have no words to say about that, but people being angry because the greatest band in the worlds music, they need to get a life if thst is all they can worry about

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference Joanne

Back
Top Bottom