Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I played SOI for my father the other night, the person responsible for myself becoming a U2 fan when I was a kid. He was a huge fan himself back in the 80's but went off them in 90's.

Anyway he looked at me after The Miracle & EBW had finished & calmly said "it's not great is it?"

:lol:

He loved Iris, TIWYCRMN & The Troubles though. Bless him.

I played SOI for my father the other night, the person responsible for myself becoming a U2 fan when I was a kid. He was a huge fan himself back in the 80's but went off them in 90's.

Anyway he looked at me after The Miracle & EBW had finished & calmly said "it's not great is it?"

I swear I read that story several days ago... Am I crazy? Or are you repeating another post? :shifty:

I crossed paths with an albino tiger this morning on the way to....

aw fuck it, i have no idea where i was going really. Isn't it just enough that i crossed paths with an albino tiger?

What did she smell like? Was she in heat? How long since she gazed upon a star..? etc.

So many damn questions. The destroyers of the world will not pause to question themselves when they finally get the reset button in their grasp

Those sweaty, bloodthirsty fingers, they're gonna be the end of us all.

It's wonderful...its not great...it's terrible....it's shit...it's a glorious explosion and release of vital life juice. It's all we have left. Enjoy it, preach it, watch it and hear it in the light of the blue moon.

My dad got me into U2, but I haven't told him that they released a new album. All he cares about is the tour - the last U2 album he bought was ATYCLB. :lol: Some catching up to do before the next tour...

I for one would love to see the next album produced by Declan Gaffney, Flood and Paul Epworth. Sorry guys but I think it's obvious the Danger Mouse experiment went sour with Edge.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Quotes from edge and Adam that lead me to believe they didn't see eye to eye. That's my opinion. Not fact.

My dad got me into U2, but I haven't told him that they released a new album. All he cares about is the tour - the last U2 album he bought was ATYCLB. :lol: Some catching up to do before the next tour...

Get him a copy of SOI & see what his reactions are. Might be worth it for a laugh or two.

It was a strange experiment actually because I could sense his displeasure after the first couple of tracks. Awkward atmosphere ahoy.

My younger sister is not a U2 fan but she likes JT songs like WoWY and Streets. Im thinking of sending her a couple of the mp3s without telling her they are U2 (emailing them and changing the file name) just to see what she thinks. She adores OneRepublic so something tells me she would LOVE Crystal Ballroom. :hmm:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

My younger sister is not a U2 fan but she likes JT songs like WoWY and Streets. Im thinking of sending her a couple of the mp3s without telling her they are U2 (emailing them and changing the file name) just to see what she thinks. She adores OneRepublic so something tells me she would LOVE Crystal Ballroom. :hmm:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Do it! Let us know what she says.

Quotes from edge and Adam that lead me to believe they didn't see eye to eye. That's my opinion. Not fact.

And if that's the case, they probably won't admit to it anytime soon.

The owls are not what they seem.

well if that's true, DM did Edge a favor, he hasn't sounded so good in ages on a U2 album, he finally mixed up his guitar styles and rocked out old school. I need to thank DM.

Wow never heard that. Oh well. Here in Toronto the Mouseketeer is good friends with Rob Ford so probably best for the band not to be linked with such "greatness".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's Deadmau5 you're talking about, not Danger Mouse. Completely different person.

I know now why this album is still so strong for me. I didn't put so much thought into the 1st half vs. 2nd half album theory but now it makes sense to me. The first half does appeal to the side of me that won't turn off a live cd when BD or Vertigo or One, WOWY. But then there's the second half which appeals to my stronger love for U2. I like the gritty, dark and almost mean side of them, which the second half delivers to me. Now adding TCB and LH, is just a bonus, especially TEN, its almost harkins me back to POP. Also not sure if anyone else agrees but Edge REALLY back on form.

I know now why this album is still so strong for me. I didn't put so much thought into the 1st half vs. 2nd half album theory but now it makes sense to me. The first half does appeal to the side of me that won't turn off a live cd when BD or Vertigo or One, WOWY. But then there's the second half which appeals to my stronger love for U2. I like the gritty, dark and almost mean side of them, which the second half delivers to me. Now adding TCB and LH, is just a bonus, especially TEN, its almost harkins me back to POP. Also not sure if anyone else agrees but Edge REALLY back on form.

Very well said. I feel the same.

The owls are not what they seem.

A miracle has occurred! :applaud:

My partner, who for years has wavered between indifference and outright animosity towards the band, said last night, and I quote: "It's a great album."

At that moment, I sensed hell freezing over (but in a good way).

My partner, who for years has wavered between indifference and outright animosity towards the band, said last night, and I quote: "It's a great album."

Nice!!!

I think next weekend I will finally post my review of the album.

Yes, the 5-week wait for the review nobody really cares about is coming! :)

I wanted to wait to hear the Extra tracks. I still think it takes at least 3 months to give a really proper review (as a fan) but it will be interesting to see how my opinion changes.

On a side note, clicked on a YouTube video that had some of the new tracks on it. The first commenter wrote on 9/10 something along the lines of "uninspired and will be forgotten by the end of the year" the comment below that was from the same commenter a few days ago(a month later) and he posted "I was wrong : ) "

Made me laugh.

Also the Dallas Cowboys are 5-1 and looking really good. Yes hell might be freezing over.

I'm sorry if it has been discussed already, but has anyone noticed any differences between the sound of the apple itunes release and that of the cd? I don't expect there to be much difference......

didn't someone on here refer to SOI as 'cock rock"?
i think in a derogatory manner.

nevertheless, thank you for pointing that out! i totally pick up on that here and there and i fucking LOVE it.

I'm sorry if it has been discussed already, but has anyone noticed any differences between the sound of the apple itunes release and that of the cd? I don't expect there to be much difference......

Mastered for iTunes is a bit if a wank - basically it brings voice forward into the mix, and clips more of the music. The cd is a much fuller, more rounded sound. In RBW, Bono is nowhere near as distorted singing the 'I don't believe anymore' line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom