Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is why I despise California.

It's not a bad song. After it was written they should have done what they've done before... realized that it's a good song, but not for them, and handed it off to Katy Perry.

It's a bad U2 song. It reeks of desperation. It is my worst fears when Epworth and Tedder were brought in realized. It's the sound of a bunch of 50 year olds trying to sound like a bunch of 20 year olds. It's pathetic.

/rant

It's not a bad song. It's a bad U2 song. It reeks of desperation. It is my worst fears when Epworth and Tedder were brought in realized. It's the sound of a bunch of 50 year olds trying to sound like a bunch of 20 year olds. It's pathetic.

/rant

Plus
F**k the Lakers

It's not a bad song. It's a bad U2 song. It reeks of desperation. It is my worst fears when Epworth and Tedder were brought in realized. It's the sound of a bunch of 50 year olds trying to sound like a bunch of 20 year olds. It's pathetic.

/rant

The Beach Boys are in their '70s and have made a career out of it. Not something to be ashamed of.

The Beach Boys have been writing Beach Boy songs for 50 years. They're not trying to sound like anything but themselves.

And nobody has given too shits about the Beach Boys in 40 years because nobody wants to hear a bunch of 60 year olds singing about surfing and chasing chicks.

And this song does not sound anything like a Beach Boys song, outside of the intro.

It's not a bad song. After it was written they should have done what they've done before... realized that it's a good song, but not for them, and handed it off to Katy Perry.

It's a bad U2 song. It reeks of desperation. It is my worst fears when Epworth and Tedder were brought in realized. It's the sound of a bunch of 50 year olds trying to sound like a bunch of 20 year olds. It's pathetic.

/rant

Aw, too poppy for you?

I think it's one of the best things they've ever done. Knocks years off them.

Well, the IRA stopped its bombings years ago, so it's not like U2 can keep writing about that. For better or worse, u2 have changed.

Ugh...

I'm glad a lot of you like it. I'm not going to be one of those dicks who try to tell you you're wrong for liking something that I think is a steaming pile of hot garbage.

But to come back with "well they can't keep writing about things in the past" as an argument in defense to A SONG WRITTEN ABOUT THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST ON AN ENTIRE ALBUM ABOUT THINGS IN THE PAST is kinda dumb.

Aw, too poppy for you?

I think it's one of the best things they've ever done. Knocks years off them.

Hoot hoot.....I'm with you owl!

Really like this song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I hate California too. That intro... :barf: I usually love to hear Edge's voice but that makes me cringe every time.

I don't know how anyone could hate California. It may be one of the weaker songs of the album but it has some lightness and humor to it and also some lyrically really nice moments.

I have struggled with SOI

They have clearly tried every known strategy to reinvigorate and explore; the lyrics are thoughtful and show more care in the phrasing and construction. The cadence in Raised by Wolves is honest and striking BUT

There is a sheen to the whole thing that makes it evocative of.... nothing

The (eventually a bit botched) experiment with Moroccan rhythms and sounds on NLOTH sounded very exciting from the beach at least - this just sounds ... like everything else out there

The Troubles should be devastating - it's a really good tune but has no 'atmosphere' because of the clipping and compression that dominates most modern pop.

The one track that stands out is California because it suits this kind of sonic approach - its a potential hit but probably best suited to Katy Perry not U2

Sleep like a baby works best because it rumbles a bit and has the space and imperfections you'd associate with a GarageBand (the app not the movement) recording - credit to DM I guess

The new chorus on EBW is a clever shift in melody and the words suit but it isn't MOVING and the original verses deserve that

Don't love it because I'm not drawn back to it but I can't fault the effort - the lack of chiming guitars and rhymes with 'soul' is duly noted and appreciated but not quite enough in the end?

I am getting on a bit but still trust my ears?

Your words won't be welcome here, but I appreciate hearing an alternative POV on this record. I've found that the appraisal of SOI isn't nearly as universally positive among U2 fans, and certainly the general public, as the conventional wisdom here would suggest.

But hey, it's been downloaded and "experienced" about a zillion times, so who cares right?

I have struggled with SOI

They have clearly tried every known strategy to reinvigorate and explore; the lyrics are thoughtful and show more care in the phrasing and construction. The cadence in Raised by Wolves is honest and striking BUT

There is a sheen to the whole thing that makes it evocative of.... nothing

The (eventually a bit botched) experiment with Moroccan rhythms and sounds on NLOTH sounded very exciting from the beach at least - this just sounds ... like everything else out there

The Troubles should be devastating - it's a really good tune but has no 'atmosphere' because of the clipping and compression that dominates most modern pop.

The one track that stands out is California because it suits this kind of sonic approach - its a potential hit but probably best suited to Katy Perry not U2

Sleep like a baby works best because it rumbles a bit and has the space and imperfections you'd associate with a GarageBand (the app not the movement) recording - credit to DM I guess

The new chorus on EBW is a clever shift in melody and the words suit but it isn't MOVING and the original verses deserve that

Don't love it because I'm not drawn back to it but I can't fault the effort - the lack of chiming guitars and rhymes with 'soul' is duly noted and appreciated but not quite enough in the end?

I am getting on a bit but still trust my ears?

Your words won't be welcome here, but I appreciate hearing an alternative POV on this record. I've found that the appraisal of SOI isn't nearly as universally positive among U2 fans, and certainly the general public, as the conventional wisdom here would suggest.

But hey, it's been downloaded and "experienced" about a zillion times, so who cares right?

I also appreciate this thoughtful review. I don't really agree with it. But parts of it ring true with me. It does sound like other stuff out there. But it also sounds a bit different from "U2," which to me is a positive.

California fits because it is about the young U2's idealism. What is more idealistic than "there is no end to love" California simply is a word that represents their unabashed youthful idealism.

California fits because it is about the young U2's idealism. What is more idealistic than "there is no end to love" California simply is a word that represents their unabashed youthful idealism.

This. If I have a complaint about the song it's that Bono over sings it a little, but that's nothing new. It's a light, idealistic, joyous little song with only a subtle melancholic undercurrent..the kind of vibe that few bands besides U2 can really pull off.

That picture of the Crystal ball had to have been related to U2. Maybe they were working on it as the lead and they pussied out and stopped work on it. Or liked it so much they think it's special as part of the deluxe...

I've come to appreciate the album a lot more when looking over my vast collection of vinyls and tapes from 2014. I mean, as great as those are, this U2 release won't put a hole in my wallet. It was legally free and I have no reason to purchase a physical copy because I have no interest in actually listening to it all the way through again.

U2, the band that brings you savings! :up:

Crystal Ball...Lemon Ball...Popmart....Pop...

Pop backwards is Pop.

1997-1980 = 17. 17 is the number of U2 albums (13 + Three comps + UABRS).

Illuminati? :love:

I've come to appreciate the album a lot more when looking over my vast collection of vinyls and tapes from 2014. I mean, as great as those are, this U2 release won't put a hole in my wallet. It was legally free and I have no reason to purchase a physical copy because I have no interest in actually listening to it all the way through again.

U2, the band that brings you savings! :up:

oh look big mac is here
everyone see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom