Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also from Q interview, posted in a thread on atu2.com,

In the new issue of Q, there's an article and interview with U2 and Adam makes some interesting comments about the 'markedly different approach' to the next tour:
"We're booking the tour in pairs of shows" and "we want to have two different shows. That's the plan at this point, but it could all change"

:hmm:
Well, that sounds very interesting.

There's a quote in the RS mag that I find interesting from Iovine, and if it's true, they and the fans owe him a lot on this one:

"I was straight up with them. I said, 'In order to make the record you want to make, you have to go to a place where you don’t live now. And it hurts. It's dark and painful, but you have to go there. Can you put yourself back in the place you were at 25 or 35 and the world was coming at you 100 per hour and you don't give a shit?'"
And you can definitely tell it in the lyrics. Bono isn't singing about Chinese stocks anymore, and it makes a world of difference in how much his fans can relate to the songs. One of the many issues I've had with Bono's recent lyrics (aside from the awkward phrases and over-literal prose) was that he was mostly singing about the life of a rock star and international humanitarian, and I don't think anyone really cared.

Iovine may have f*cked up NLOTH by causing them to second guess themselves, but in this case it sounds like he put them on the right path.

There's a quote in the RS mag that I find interesting from Iovine, and if it's true, they and the fans owe him a lot on this one:

And you can definitely tell it in the lyrics. Bono isn't singing about Chinese stocks anymore, and it makes a world of difference in how much his fans can relate to the songs. One of the many issues I've had with Bono's recent lyrics (aside from the awkward phrases and over-literal prose) was that he was mostly singing about the life of a rock star and international humanitarian, and I don't think anyone really cared.

Iovine may have f*cked up NLOTH by causing them to second guess themselves, but in this case it sounds like he put them on the right path.

Yeah, that was my favorite quote as well. Makes me ok with the fact that we waited too long. Bono just needed to go home (and eat a lot).

The two different shows idea falls in line with what I had discussed earlier about the band simply practicing their war-horses a bunch and slipping them into different nights. One night gets With or Without You while the other gets I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. One night gets Out of Control while the other gets I Will Follow, etc.

They really have enough easy to play songs that it wouldn't be that hard to pull off. If they play the same six new songs every night, plus the four that everyone expects (Where The Streets Have No Name, One, Beautiful Day and Vertigo), that means they would only need about 12-14 tracks to rotate between the two evenings.

Boy - I Will Follow, Out Of Control
October - Gloria
War - New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, 40
The Unforgettable Fire - Pride, Bad
Joshua Tree - With or Without You, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still
Rattle & Hum - Desire, Angel of Harlem, All I Want Is You
Achtung Baby - Mysterious Ways, Until The End of the World, Even Better Than The Real Thing
Zooropa - Stay
All That You Can't Leave Behind - Elevation, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
No Line On The Horizon - Magnificent
non-album - Invisible

That's a decent bunch right there of 23 tracks that can be rotated in and out with relative ease.

Exchanges Between The Two Nights

I Will Follow - Out Of Control
New Year's Day - Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride, 40 (as closer) - Gloria, Bad (as closer)
With Or Without You - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Running To Stand Still - All I Want Is You
Desire - Angel of Harlem
Bullet The Blue Sky - Until The End Of The World
Mysterious Ways - Even Better Than The Real Thing
Stay - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Elevation - Magnificent

This RS ring and Iovine comment made me uneasy. That he has such influence that he can change their minds about their work with one comment. I can imagine DM being totally pissed if he reads this article.
And of course I'm sure that those experimental songs they scraped after Iovine listened to them are at least 4 times better than SOI :-D

Imagine if we heard about that before the album was launched - we would all be cursing Iovine for tempering with brilliant raw stuff, and for delaying the release

Sent from my LG-D855 using U2 Interference mobile app

Regarding different shows - somehow I think that it's not about setlists but about two different venues in one city - club or theater with fan favorite and mostly less known songs, and stadium gig with best of + new lp setlist

Re: Iovine.

I think sometimes, when you're stuck artistically, it's good to have an outside perspective from someone who knows what he's talking about but is still objective enough to be critical of your work. I'd say it's a good thing Iovine gave them a couple of hints, after all they eventually released Songs of Innocence, which is a beautiful album. Who knows if we ever got another album otherwise. The album still has a lot of Danger Mouse.

I think sometimes, when you're stuck artistically, it's good to have an outside perspective from someone who knows what he's talking about but is still objective enough to be critical of your work. I'd say it's a good thing Iovine gave them a couple of hints, after all they eventually released Songs of Innocence, which is a beautiful album. Who knows if we ever got another album otherwise. The album still has a lot of Danger Mouse.

:up:

I'll admit that I'm a music 1st, lyrics 2nd type of person. With that said, one of the things that I find so special about the album is the theme. Even though the music hits so many different areas and isn't exactly cohesive, the overall theme does such an amazing job of tying the songs together. Imagine this album having God walking an old lady across the street, crumbs on tables, newborn baby heads or Cockatoos. I think I would like the album a lot less.

Regarding different shows - somehow I think that it's not about setlists but about two different venues in one city - club or theater with fan favorite and mostly less known songs, and stadium gig with best of + new lp setlist

No way will there be club gigs unless it's a promotional tour. There's just too much demand for smaller venues that seat like 1500-2000 people to serve up the needs of fans. This forum would be nothing but people complaining and crying and scalpers would have a field day with ticket prices.

It will be dual arena shows, particularly in North America since they usually do two night stands on those sort of shows (two in LA, two in Oakland, two in San Jose, etc.). They'll just be mixing up the setlists more rather than boring us by switching out only two or three songs a night.

Stadiums likely will still happen in a lot of places. Too many fans in the rest of the world for a couple arena nights to satisfy people.

I know I'm not the only one who's slotted Invisible in second spot on Songs of Innocence, and I have to say I'm really enjoying this song right now.

My initial rating of Invisible was 7, but it's a solid 8.5 now. I particularly love the second verse. Great song!

From @U2.com

Songs Of Innocence standard CD

1. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California (There Is No End To Love)
4. Song For Someone
5. Iris (Hold Me Close)
6. Volcano
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11. The Troubles

2-CD Deluxe Edition - the above, plus a bonus CD with

1. Lucifer's Hands (3:54)
2. The Crystal Ballroom (4:39)
3. Every Breaking Wave (from Acoustic Sessions) (4:28)
4. California (from Acoustic Sessions) (3:19)
5. Raised by Wolves (from Acoustic Sessions) (3:57)
6. Cedarwood Road (from Acoustic Sessions) (3:18)
7. Song for Someone (from Acoustic Sessions) (3:35)
8. The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) (Busker Version) (4:06)
9. The Troubles (Alternative Version) (4:32)
10. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective by Tchad Blake) (10:27)

Generally I agree. I posted what I posted just as something to be discussed. I remember that one year ago (or was it 9 months ago) a lot of people were upset because of the delay (if I can call it that). And many were speculating that they delayed the album because execs told them to go back at the drawing board. If you remember they were excited about new stuff coming out soon, they held listening parties, reactions were excellent... And then, delay. They changed their mind about their music overnight, and many thought it was about the execs and there was a lot of stones thrown at them back then.
Now we have this really good album, it turns out that those speculations were in fact real. So that's something I find very interesting. Can you imagine the reaction to this quote by Iovine if we got three or four clunkers like on NLOTH?
We got a very good album, but that does not negate the fact that they changed their mind because of Iovine. I think it makes a great discussing point

I can't wait to buy the deluxe edition. :hyper:

That's why it's actually moving up the Amazon charts pretty quickly (#3 in rock music last time I checked)...not bad for a record people can get for free.

(caveat: it doesn't take much for big new record/movie/book to make a splash and move up those pre-order charts quickly and dramatically...they key is sustaining it)

That's why it's actually moving up the Amazon charts pretty quickly (#3 in rock music last time I checked)...not bad for a record people can get for free.

(caveat: it doesn't take much for big new record/movie/book to make a splash and move up those pre-order charts quickly and dramatically...they key is sustaining it)
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-music-albums/zgbs/music

Going up the Music charts. :up:

I know I'm not the only one who's slotted Invisible in second spot on Songs of Innocence, and I have to say I'm really enjoying this song right now.

My initial rating of Invisible was 7, but it's a solid 8.5 now. I particularly love the second verse. Great song!

Kind of pissed that I'm going to have to extract Invisible out of a longer track where it's hidden so I can put the full version into my SOI playlist. They're not make it it easy.

Also from Q interview, posted in a thread on atu2.com,

In the new issue of Q, there's an article and interview with U2 and Adam makes some interesting comments about the 'markedly different approach' to the next tour:
"We're booking the tour in pairs of shows" and "we want to have two different shows. That's the plan at this point, but it could all change"

:hmm:

Pairs? Hmmm. Wonder how high the prices are gonna go for THAT?

I might as well just give the band my bank account lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

The number one album is the new Pink Floyd album, an instrumental album from a very old band which is inactive for more than a decade and was surrounded with zero hype...

If you buy the album via pre-order, when does it arrive? Does it arrive on the 14th or does it ship on the 14th

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

If you buy the album via pre-order, when does it arrive? Does it arrive on the 14th or does it ship on the 14th

If you pick 2 day shipping it will arrive on the 14th.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Then 2 day shipping is what I shall choose!

Kind of pissed that I'm going to have to extract Invisible out of a longer track where it's hidden so I can put the full version into my SOI playlist. They're not make it it easy.

So is it confirmed that a new edit of Invisible will be on the deluxe?

I really hope it is. Just listened to Invisible for the first time in what feels like a long time and damn, I like it now more than I did then.

Breakdown from the first chorus into the second verse... mmmm, "that's high quality rock and roll".

Don't know. Worst case scenario is that the new version of SLABT is 6-7 minutes long, and they just stuck the (RED) Edit Version on there.

Yeah I'm doubting that. It doesn't even say remix but "alternate perspective". The SOI version is right at 5 minutes. The edited version of Invisible is approx. 3:45. That leaves about 1:45 for them to play with. Even if SLABT is a minute longer (and like, what else could you throw in there?), that's still time for another verse and chorus on Invisible.

Unless there's a long gap of silence between the songs; again, doubtful.

Ultimately, it doesn't make sense for them to include an edit that has previously appeared and was available for free anyway.

Yeah I'm doubting that. It doesn't even say remix but "alternate perspective". The SOI version is right at 5 minutes. The edited version of Invisible is approx. 3:45. That leaves about 1:45 for them to play with. Even if SLABT is a minute longer (and like, what else could you throw in there?), that's still time for another verse and chorus on Invisible.

Unless there's a long gap of silence between the songs; again, doubtful.

Ultimately, it doesn't make sense for them to include an edit that has previously appeared and was available for free anyway.
Yeah, I really doubt they would paste the edit on there. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom