Songs of Experience XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If U2 released a single that would crack the mainstream charts and be a success my guess is that most fans on this forum would be pretty "meh" about it - some would find it "catchy" and "fun" and others "cheesy" and just "alright." It won't be song on the level of say, One, The Fly, Until the End of the World etc. Those types of songs have no chance in hell of mainstream success in today's market.

The only way U2 gets a hit single again is if it's a total fluke, like the Sweetest Thing.

The only way U2 gets a hit again is if they release a song on par with Beautiful Day or Vertigo and cozy up with radio conglomerate... last part, check.

There is a monkey in a cage.
It's little hands defiantly grasping the bars as it screams.
The little monkey screams loud and often.
Occasionally it flings poo.
The little monkey does not know why, it doesn't realize it's even a monkey.
But it knows it's in a cage.
That's all it knows.

This is the best post in this thread.

The only way U2 gets a hit again is if they release a song on par with Beautiful Day or Vertigo and cozy up with radio conglomerate... last part, check.

I dunno. I think EBW is an incredible song, but got nowhere.
I still think along with cozying up to big radio, they should get a song into an appropriate (and not lame) hit TV show. I think a song in the last few closing minutes of the Walking Dead would be pretty huge. And would stir some genuine interest which could lead to increased radio play.
Disclaimer - The only cool hit TV show I can think of is the Walking Dead. All other hit shows right now are pretty lame.

I dunno. I think EBW is an incredible song, but got nowhere.
I still think along with cozying up to big radio, they should get a song into an appropriate (and not lame) hit TV show. I think a song in the last few closing minutes of the Walking Dead would be pretty huge. And would stir some genuine interest which could lead to increased radio play.
Disclaimer - The only cool hit TV show I can think of is the Walking Dead. All other hit shows right now are pretty lame.

Every Breaking Wave is good. It's not nearly as catchy or friendly to the public as Vertigo or Beautiful Day. U2 also had no chance after the release fiasco.

The Troubles was used with The Walking Dead two years ago in promo clips. TV shows =/= airplay. Granted, not the same as closing credits or whatever, but still.

They used The Troubles for a Walking Dead promo I believe. Great song, but too cool for mainstream.

I hate almost all top 40 radio songs, so if they don't crack the charts, fine with me.

The question is whether the band is fine with it. If not, no more U2. I don't see them as the type to continue music for art's sake.

I have to believe that they are smart enough to realize they won't ever have a #1 song again. They may have popular songs in the mainstream but never dominate the charts like they once did. This is through no fault of their own; the game has changed on them. apparently people who buy music like songs about sex, bling, texting, or how amazing they are. New popular music is total nonsense w/o much creativity (or a guitar..but that's another story). I hope U2 just continues to do what they do. Because their music is amazing (IMHO).:love:

Every Breaking Wave is good. It's not nearly as catchy or friendly to the public as Vertigo or Beautiful Day. U2 also had no chance after the release fiasco.

The Troubles was used with The Walking Dead two years ago in promo clips. TV shows =/= airplay. Granted, not the same as closing credits or whatever, but still.

Yeah, i remember them using it for the promo, but I can't help but wonder if they would have released The Troubles as a lead single, performed it with Lykke Li at the Apple event, and had it running on the actual show that was aired, if it would have been something that would have been a bit of a hit on alternative/adult alternative stations...

I think EBW is only average. Doesn't do much for me I'm afraid.

I have to believe that they are smart enough to realize they won't ever have a #1 song again. They may have popular songs in the mainstream but never dominate the charts like they once did. This is through no fault of their own; the game has changed on them. apparently people who buy music like songs about sex, bling, texting, or how amazing they are. New popular music is total nonsense w/o much creativity (or a guitar..but that's another story). I hope U2 just continues to do what they do. Because their music is amazing (IMHO).:love:

Even "alternative" radio now is so pathetic. Over half of what i hear on there, shows up on pop stations a couple months later. Nothing daring or different on alternative radio anymore. And isn't that the whole point?

This will sound like pure heresy on here but here goes nothing....

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy both BD and EBW...but

EBW, to me, is absolutely stunning whereas BD is a very safe, contemporary rock song.

EBW live is goosbump enducing...but that's just me and i'm weird.

Respectfully disagree

My feelings on Beautiful Day.

Agreed.

I think they missed a major chance with EBW. It is radio friendly, but them choosing miracle as the lead single was dumb. They should have released EBW as lead single with an electrical storm-type video, preferably with Bono appearing minimally if at all.

It would have done very well

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Respectfully disagree

Agreed.

I think they missed a major chance with EBW. It is radio friendly, but them choosing miracle as the lead single was dumb. They should have released EBW as lead single with an electrical storm-type video, preferably with Bono appearing minimally if at all.

It would have done very well

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I totally agree. And if they just wouldn't have performed at the Apple event, and just had an incredible video with EBW played, I think the reception could have been better. With them on stage and the whole "touch of a button" finger touching thing. ugh. No one wants to see that.

Getting back to music, anyone think it's coming tomorrow? Some had said that they might not release it last week because Gaga was releasing hers, but it's been a week and I haven't even heard her new song. Radio is a strange and fickle place these days.

the game has changed on them. apparently people who buy music like songs about sex, bling, texting, or how amazing they are. New popular music is total nonsense w/o much creativity (or a guitar..but that's another story).

Short translation = talentless scum

My feelings on Beautiful Day.

My feelings on both songs.

It's certainly not a big, energetic uplifting song like BD & Vertigo.

I don't think they did the song any favours by giving it the arrangement it had. It felt a little too 'middle of the road rock' for my taste, even with the synths etc. It almost sounded a bit retro, but in a dated rather than charming way.

Giving the song a more atmospheric, pulsing, electronic, anthemic drive would've brought it out a lot more, and been more accessible to younger audiences. The mix we got was, imo, a bit dull and meandering.

(I think the acoustic version was beautiful, i think the song should've been either that or a grander, more atmospheric version of what we got).

Same applies to their general direction lately. They seem really keen on the classic rawk, distorted guitar sound (GoYB, Miracle, Cedarwood Road, 'SoE being born' clip), but also want hits and a young audience. I feel these are incompatible. I mean, Vertigo was both of these things, but even since then i feel the zeitgeist has moved on. Hopefully I'm wrong.

At least The Best Things seems like a more modern track.

It's certainly not a big, energetic uplifting song like BD & Vertigo.

I don't think they did the song any favours by giving it the arrangement it had. It felt a little too 'middle of the road rock' for my taste, even with the synths etc. It almost sounded a bit retro, but in a dated rather than charming way.

Giving the song a more atmospheric, pulsing, electronic, anthemic drive would've brought it out a lot more, and been more accessible to younger audiences. The mix we got was, imo, a bit dull and meandering.

(I think the acoustic version was beautiful, i think the song should've been either that or a grander, more atmospheric version of what we got).

Same applies to their general direction lately. They seem really keen on the classic rawk, distorted guitar sound (GoYB, Miracle, Cedarwood Road, 'SoE being born' clip), but also want hits and a young audience. I feel these are incompatible. I mean, Vertigo was both of these things, but even since then i feel the zeitgeist has moved on. Hopefully I'm wrong.

At least The Best Things seems like a more modern track.

Well said. Although i do think the SOE being born clip is more hopeful to me. Because I don't feel like that's middle of the road. That feels pretty all in rock to me, which we have rarely heard from them. Could be pretty incredible.

Well said. Although i do think the SOE being born clip is more hopeful to me. Because I don't feel like that's middle of the road. That feels pretty all in rock to me, which we have rarely heard from them. Could be pretty incredible.

Or it could be another Cedarwood Road song where they have an awesome riff and then neuter it for half the song.:doh:

Agreed! It sounds very un-compromised, like they're just going all-out.

I've said it a lot, i think one of u2's biggest failings recently is compromising too much. NLOTH was an experimental North African album, but they just had to stick in GoYB and Crazy Tonight. Miracle is a cool rocker, but they had to duct-tape on a more upbeat pop chorus, etc.

So the 'Being Born' clip is promising. It's the same reason I'm excited for The Best Thing - it sounds like a dance-pop song that embraces itself, rather than hesitating.

While we sit with our thumbs up our asses. If you could make your own Best of 2004-2014, what would it be?

Here are my choices:

Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
Original of the Species
No Line On the Horizon
Magnificent
Fez
Moment of Surrender
Every Breaking Wave
Raised By Wolves
The Troubles
The Crystal Ballroom

I think the end of Edge's Fender add might be a riff from TBT. Also that other song in the add sounds really promising. Great melody. I hope it makes to SOE. In a week we'll surely know more.

While we sit with our thumbs up our asses. If you could make your own Best of 2004-2014, what would it be?

Vertigo
City Of Blinding Lights
Original Of The Species
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Breathe
Winter
Ordinary Love
Invisible
Every Breaking Wave
Cedarwood Road

Status