Songs Of Experience XII : RIP U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you expect this Friday at the IHeartRadio festival?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you say that? I have said multiple times that I am a genuine 50-50 on new music, and even now if I'm honest, I just don't believe they will do it. None of that changes the fact that third hand narratives citing multiple bits of info from multiple people in the inner circle is totally unbelievable, and the fact that some people met Adam doesn't change that.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh I have no real opinion on how true or not it may be. It could go either way. It just struck me that you seem very invested in discrediting it.

My personal expectation is a hit parade + Best Thing + OOC. A fairly standard and dull setlist.

Guys, Dallas hasn't been on the payroll long enough to understand the game. He hasn't been sat down and given the talk about giving fans spoilers yet. The Internet is pretty new, so he probably has no clue if this would spread or not.

So it's probably 100% true.

Oh I have no real opinion on how true or not it may be. It could go either way. It just struck me that you seem very invested in discrediting it.

My personal expectation is a hit parade + Best Thing + OOC. A fairly standard and dull setlist.

Probably for two reasons. 1) the swell of over-reacting to every morsel of 'news' lately means people don't actually think about what they are reacting to. 2) just had a team knocked out of football finals and I'm fucking pissed off.

At this point, I'm open to all scenarios. We might get a new single, the whole album, all that and a tour announcement, or we may get nothing except a greatest hits show, for any number of reasons.

Probably for two reasons. 1) the swell of over-reacting to every morsel of 'news' lately means people don't actually think about what they are reacting to. 2) just had a team knocked out of football finals and I'm fucking pissed off.

Oh man, I know the feeling. Sympathies. I am a tennis fan and support Andy Murray.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

At this point, I'm open to all scenarios. We might get a new single, the whole album, all that and a tour announcement, or we may get nothing except a greatest hits show, for any number of reasons.

At this point i'm just looking forward to today being over (I'm in the UK so the show is at 5am tomorrow morning for me) and getting some proper info. If they have something, fantastic. If they don't, I can at least relax. Seriously, it's been so tense, feeling so easily like it can go either way. I'm exhausted after all this tension.

oh shit they start at 5am our time?? thought it was 6 or something, that would have been an okay(ish) time for me to just get up and start my day before work - this sort of changes things haha

and yeah it's, for want of a less dramatic word, pretty draining waiting for something to happen with all the silent treatment and what's most likely utter bollocks being spread.

I won't be DONE with them as a band if there's nothing new performed/released, but given what everyone says about this iHeartRadio thing, huge conglomerate/basically a festival tailor made for artists to hawk their wares, I'd certainly think they were a bit of a joke for showing up with nothing then just disappearing for a few more months.

But I don't think even U2 would do that after the Invisible/aborted album farce of 2014. Still think something's coming tonight.

Ignoring the report/story (made up or otherwise) for a moment:

If there was ever a plan for U2 to play lets say 3 or 4 SOE songs at iHeart, they would be 3 or 4 of the bankers that would make the album (out of Bono's 16 potential songs). This would mean like The Best Thing these 3 or 4 have been around for a while in pretty much finished form. Therefore it is inconceivable that U2 would not have practiced or tried them out a bunch in the last couple of weeks, if not even before that. There is no way they are going to rock up at Vegas with only one rehearsal day (allegedly) and try playing them to see if they can! They could well discover that there are some tech issues that need sorted, like lighting, sound on particular instruments, arena acoustics, that were different than when they had been playing them in whatever studio they have been holed up at in the last couple of weeks (apart from Bono!). The stage only having recently been constructed could also mess with whatever potential set up they might have had in mind. And, as has been said before, no way did U2 have the whole arena to themselves for the whole day on the stage, with all the other artists locked out, really, really really?

haha yeah the whole 1 day of rehearsals thing is what makes it sounds so untrue. This band of utter perfectionists (alright, The Edge would be 50% of the problem) wouldn't spend one day rehearsing for their first gig since December. Nor would they only take their first crack at the new material that day.

If they lost their minds and DID try that, well then they really would deserve to crash and burn haha there's no way any of this is true :huh:

plus, if all this was true, wouldn't they come down on Dallas Schoo like a ton of bricks for going round flapping his lip to anyone who'd listen?

oh shit they start at 5am our time?? thought it was 6 or something, that would have been an okay(ish) time for me to just get up and start my day before work - this sort of changes things haha

and yeah it's, for want of a less dramatic word, pretty draining waiting for something to happen with all the silent treatment and what's most likely utter bollocks being spread.

I won't be DONE with them as a band if there's nothing new performed/released, but given what everyone says about this iHeartRadio thing, huge conglomerate/basically a festival tailor made for artists to hawk their wares, I'd certainly think they were a bit of a joke for showing up with nothing then just disappearing for a few more months.

But I don't think even U2 would do that after the Invisible/aborted album farce of 2014. Still think something's coming tonight.

Yeah it feels like the worst possible timing haha. Too late to stay up for, too early to get up for. But apparently the stream doesn't even work in the uk anyway! So I'm planning on just waking up at a normal hour tomorrow and just checking if anything's being released, then seeing what the hell happened at iHeart (if nothing's been announced, I'll guess a greatest hits set).

I think i feel more pessimistic about iHeart in terms of the super bowl - i think the fact they disappeared after the latter shows that they'll bow to no pressure to release something unless they're happy with it (which is completely reasonable). I think playing iHeart increases the chances of a new single (obviously they booked this with the intention of promoting new material, and it's a damn good reason to try to be finished by now), but i think it guarantees nothing.

haha yeah the whole 1 day of rehearsals thing is what makes it sounds so untrue. This band of utter perfectionists (alright, The Edge would be 50% of the problem) wouldn't spend one day rehearsing for their first gig since December. Nor would they only take their first crack at the new material that day.

If they lost their minds and DID try that, well then they really would deserve to crash and burn haha there's no way any of this is true :huh:

plus, if all this was true, wouldn't they come down on Dallas Schoo like a ton of bricks for going round flapping his lip to anyone who'd listen?

I feel there are 2 possibilities here.

1: It's misdirection

2: As of yesterday, they never seriously intended to play new material/more than just TBT tonight, either because it was never the plan, or because they *have* been trying new stuff for the past fortnight and haven't been successful, yesterday being the final attempt.

I'd say option 1 is more likely (that's assuming Dallas even said this!) because they wouldn't be casually giving out info like "oh the band had been intending to debut several new songs tonight!" when clearly there is some level of secrecy here. It wouldn't be Edge's guitar tech casually announcing an album plan like that.

Last edited:
Neil McCormick seems to have gone a bit nuts on twitter about U2 baking puns. But he may have stumbled upon U2's wardrobe set up for tomorrow night!

Cs-DgRWWgAAJrbV.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/neil_mccormick/with_replies

I just can't belive that 4 professionals, find out the day before the gig that they aren't able to play new songs live...This show is scheduled since 6 month...

Just to be clear:

U2 hit the stage at 10:40 PM (Las Vegas Time)

that translates into:

06:40 Tomorrow Morning in London
07:40 Tomorrow Morning in Vienna (e.g.)

2:40pm Aussie time in the eastern states.

Good, it'll be done before the GWS vs Footscray game. To be honest, that's what I really care about tomorrow.

CARN THE DOGGIES.

2:40pm Aussie time in the eastern states.

Good, it'll be done before the GWS vs Footscray game. To be honest, that's what I really care about tomorrow.

CARN THE DOGGIES.

Cheers. I'm heading to the pub at that time (preparing for the footy) so will miss it.

who knows anymore?

1. it's most likely misdirection from Dallas.

2. However, the only way this is even remotely possible is the following: There's no way they would rehearse a new song the day prior to the event for the first time. So, they've been rehearsing it on and off for several weeks and still can't get it right.

If the new song is TBT, it's not super complicated. they should be able to pull it off. Let's also consider this song has probably been worked on for months, if not a year or two.

My bet is that we'll get a new song.

OK so there's so much wrong with this.

Just throw it out folks. Thus didn't happen.

First, they were still finishing the stage today so they couldn't have been soundchecking all day.

Second, even if I'm wrong and it was finished, they have so many acts they wouldn't let just U2 have the stage all day.

Third, the staff/talent entrance to this arena is in the back in a large fenced off area off Frank Sinatra Dr. I have serious doubts that 20 people were just allowed through the gates and close enough to the exit, and I have equal doubts that all these people, including Adam, came out one of the non staff/talent exits because the other exits of the arena empty out into The Park, a large open air entertainment zone connected to The Strip that's open whether there are events taking place or not.

And Dallas and Terry would not readily give that information out to fans waiting outside at the end if what's been a very secretive stretch.

And, uh, pictures with Adam? Well it seems providing one would be a super swell way to prove that your story wasn't a pile of dung.

So let's just toss this one in the garbage.

They might not play new songs tonight, but it's not cause of anything that was said in this "story"

Sorry but you're partially wrong on this one. A friend of mine is there and just told a similar story. Adam did come out as did members of the crew. He said they didn't hear any rehersals though. Nothing new on album or tour (still on the old status) and no word on tonight's setlist.

This reeks of misdirection by Dallas. I don't doubt he said it, but what was he supposed to say when asked if they were playing new songs? If he said no or that there weren't new songs any we'd be panicking just as much (and unnecessarily so).

Dallas has been known to lie and misdirect before. He likes to have fun with the fans. He knows better than to spill the beans to superfan's hanging outside the arena 24 hours before showtime.

Well he could say something like "Can't tell you anything" or "You'll get a nice show". Telling without telling. But I'm by no means saying I'd trust his statement either way. That goes for the band and crew alike.

I can maybe believe that's something Dallas said to someone, but I still don't think it's true. Not because I want it to be untrue (though I want it to be untrue), but because I can't fathom them being so utterly unprepared doing it. How can you realize that just now? Like, unless they for some insane reason planned on doing a greatest hits show, playing something new will have to be the point of playing in the first place. Assuming so, even if considering that they have trouble playing the new song(s), I think they'd rather plaster a bunch of playback stuff onto everything than just dropping it all-together.

I'd say misdirection is most likely. Reminds me of the kind of stuff I'd pull out to new students at college whenever they'd ask me about secret stuff during the introduction period; "oh, actually I haven't been told what that's about", "I have no idea, this doesn't feel right, I'll go talk to people in charge about it" or "I'm not supposed to say this, but it's actually [insert totally bogus thing here]"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom