Songs of Experience 37 - now with bonus orchestra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blackout (fall 2017)
Love is Bigger(winter 2017-2018)
Summer of Love (spring 2018 into Summer 2018)
Little Things (Fall 2018)

Red Flag Day would be the #5 single

LOH is a very “meh” song IMO but the above (save for Summer of Love) seem to be the consensus for the singles.

It doesn't matter anymore what single they release. It's all about a different generation who dominate the charts these days. The 'singles' TBT and GOOYOW did well actually.
Great bands/singers like Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead don't have 'big' charting succeses with their singles.
The band must stop trying to be relevant. They should release more music and accept that some albums might not be that perfect. They seem to have lost their focus by being perfect. Bring back the spontanious U2. And that's not the U2 that wants to stay in the charts with overcooked popsongs.
I think all the songs on SOE will get a 'single' treatment with a video and remixes. Love is bigger... fits in Christmas time.

there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay relevant. After all, what is the point of continuing if you aren't relevant to someone?

the problem is the way they go about it, and to whom they are aiming their often embarrassing efforts.
That's true.

Oddly enough... I didn’t even realize until the other day that most of Streets actually uses the same basic chords as *GASP* GOOYOW and The Best Thing. Throw in WOWY in while you're at it too.

Streets: D-G-Bm-A (then a D or C-D to end in parts)
With or Without You: D-A-Bm-G

The Best Thing: G-D-A-Bm (in the chorus)
Get Out of Your Own Way: G-D-A-Bm, G-D-A

But of course, the later songs are just an effort to get on rhythmic Top 40 stations and get the tweens to like them, huh? :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I know some of us hear are horrified at the sound of a guitar that doesn't sound like later-day Radiohead or Passengers. But I think the band knows a bit about what they're doing, even if they seem to rely on the same four chords for a lot of their songs for these past two albums. Yet again, it's sort of along the lines of what they always did anyway, so I'm not sure what the difference is here? :scratch:

there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay relevant. After all, what is the point of continuing if you aren't relevant to someone?

the problem is the way they go about it, and to whom they are aiming their often embarrassing efforts.

It would be nice if they weren't always talking about it - it tends to overshadow the merits and messages of the work itself.

are they still talking about it? all I see are idiotic publicity stunts like the one on the barge for the Grammy's to name just one of so, so many over the years.

but to be fair to them, I haven't heard them talk about it recently, but maybe I missed that.

are they still talking about it? all I see are idiotic publicity stunts like the one on the barge for the Grammy's to name just one of so, so many over the years.

but to be fair to them, I haven't heard them talk about it recently, but maybe I missed that.

"Always" may have been an overstatement on my part - but it is a subject they've brought up when they are off album-cycles on several occasions. I think it's healthy to think about relevance, but it's the kind of thing I wish they wouldn't talk about openly (it doesn't help).

Your comment made me go back to the 2017 Rolling Stone interview, and the good news is I couldn't find the word "relevance!"

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me what are the singles they've actually released from this album?

Someone earlier said 3 singles, but to my knowledge it has only been 2? (TBT and GOOYOW). And wikipedia says 4 (TBT, GOOYOW, SOL, LOH)??? Plus, The Blackout was once listed on wikipedia as a single too!

So what are the singles so far? I'm very confused and have asked this lots, and nobody has answered yet, and I also can't find the answer by researching, so I'm guessing that nobody knows the answer?

TBT and GOOYOW were released as digital singles, including remixes and whatnot.

The Blackout was a RSD vinyl single in November, and LOH will be later this month.

Some of those other tracks have been released to radio in various places, but not as commercial singles. American Soul now has two videos; not sure what to do with that.

TBT and GOOYOW were released as digital singles, including remixes and whatnot.

The Blackout was a RSD vinyl single in November, and LOH will be later this month.

Some of those other tracks have been released to radio in various places, but not as commercial singles. American Soul now has two videos; not sure what to do with that.

American Soul also saw heavy promotion for March Madness and MLB to a lesser extent. Then you have Little Things that was released as an “alternate” live cut on Spotify. You also have Summer of Live released to Radio in the Netherlands for what it’s worth.

I mention the promo for AS because typically U2 do promo for singles and not just random album cuts(although AS isn’t a single in the traditional sense to my knowledge).

American Soul also saw heavy promotion for March Madness and MLB to a lesser extent. Then you have Little Things that was released as an “alternate” live cut on Spotify. You also have Summer of Live released to Radio in the Netherlands for what it’s worth.

I mention the promo for AS because typically U2 do promo for singles and not just random album cuts(although AS isn’t a single in the traditional sense to my knowledge).

Thanks. I had forgotten about the Spotify single.

The bottom line is that it's difficult to figure out what counts as a single anymore.

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess GOOYOW just failed to chart here then (uk)

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess GOOYOW just failed to chart here then (uk)

It failed everywhere. In the US, it barely broke the top 500 most played songs on the radio and then quickly fell(whereas TBT within the top 150 for a long time)

Looks like the American and British audiences rightfully ignored this worthless track, despite the band trying to shove it down their throats on multiple large platforms (SNL, the Grammys, live at the BBC, MTV EMAs).

The song sucks. It was a terrible choice for a single. Case closed.

I could listen to it all night, all night.
But my mental state ain't all right, all right.

Looks like the American and British audiences rightfully ignored this worthless track, despite the band trying to shove it down their throats on multiple large platforms (SNL, the Grammys, live at the BBC, MTV EMAs).

Agree. I just don't get who in the band signs off on these songs? I still think TBT was appropriate first single since they would have been mental to go with another RAWK song.

Unless that RAWK song was Red Flag Day, as it sounds fresh and nothing like the previous three singles.

But Get Out ranks up there with Song for Someone for me (albeit I do enjoy 13) as some of the worst U2 songs they've done. It's them on autopilot, which is what I'd say Edge has been on since NLOTH.

I blame Spiderman, as in one of the interviews Edge (or Bono) discussed how it was creating that soundtrack that really changed how they approach songwriting now. It's all about hooks, and having to be tight....

and that's my biggest drawback with SOE. It's just too tidy. While U2 have never really been experimental, it was more the unique sound of the band trying to create pop songs that was the experiment. That space, that U2ness seems to be gone. Not 100%, as there are a lot of glimpses here and there, but their quest for the perfect pop song has kinda soured it.

Songs like Invisible, Little Things, SOL, and Landlady are all songs that could really stand to be another 30-60 seconds longer. Either another verse, or another chorus....or Edge playing a non SFS solo for once.

Anyway, let's see how these songs turn out live.

It failed everywhere. In the US, it barely broke the top 500 most played songs on the radio and then quickly fell(whereas TBT within the top 150 for a long time)

Just out of curiosity, how did they handle the kendrick lamar preach for radio?

:up:
Honestly this track reminds me on how they released Crazy Tonight as a single. compared to that song, i'd prefer Crazy Tonight. U2 has gone into the troll phase since NLOTH. There are many songs that has more potential than these singles, but it has already been done.

Looks like "Get Out of Your Own Way" has an acoustic version now.

It's a live recording of just Bono and Edge, and is pretty worthless.

Looks like "Get Out of Your Own Way" has an acoustic version now.

It's a live recording of just Bono and Edge, and is pretty worthless.

Didn't realise there were 2 remixes aswell, just saw them on iTunes

Look at all these versions of GOO Your Own Way that I will never hear.

Back
Top Bottom