Songs of Experience 36 - Now with 20% fewer acronyms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have we really gotten to a point where someone calling something girly is an outrage ?

No wonder Trump won when THIS is what upsets people.

It’s not like he said music is pretty gay nowadays.

The biggest stars in the music world are women. There are no rock bands left. Hip hop does seem to tap into the rage and anger that rock used to

But what are men listening to ?

Not everything has to be defined by gender.

well it was a pretty stupid comment, coming from Woman of the Year especially :D

that attitude is everything that's wrong with this stupid macho world actually
Hmmmm... short on library time (a lot of catch up, first). Are u referring strictly to the "girly music", or some of the rest of that section?

An outlet for young men's rage, as if some, (many?) young women don't have rage [although we do " know" women aren't supposed to be angry. :| ]

In fact I bet Patti Smith (patti smith group) put some people off because sometimes she did show anger in her songs/singing. I loved it. And she also creates some of the most tender beautiful songs as well

It wasn’t the best choice of words, using “girly” as a pejorative, especially here in December 2017.

If he had been allowed to elaborate, maybe there’d be more nuance. But it reads bad.

Last edited:
Have we really gotten to a point where someone calling something girly is an outrage ?

No wonder Trump won when THIS is what upsets people.

It’s not like he said music is pretty gay nowadays.

The biggest stars in the music world are women. There are no rock bands left. Hip hop does seem to tap into the rage and anger that rock used to

But what are men listening to ?

Not everything has to be defined by gender.

Also, we can’t ignore who said that.
It was a man who creates things like “Poverty is Sexist” or the “Ultraviolet” tribute to women on the last tour.

He didn’t choose the right adjective, that’s correct, but we all know he’s not a sexist.

He's not going to defend his use of the term girlie, because he doesn't have to. Yes, he should have said something like 'there are more feminine influences in the music landscape now than there used to be' or something like that. But of all the silly things he said in this ass-kissing "interview" this was not even close to the most eye-roll inducing.

He came off really well in the Stern interview. Not so much in this one. More of a reminder why he rubs so many the wrong way.

Also, we can’t ignore who said that.
It was a man who creates things like “Poverty is Sexist” or the “Ultraviolet” tribute to women on the last tour.

He didn’t choose the right adjective, that’s correct, but we all know he’s not a sexist.

But it's also from the same man who believes Christine Lagarde and Angela Merkel are outstanding feminists.

News Flash: if you're a guy, it's not your place to decide what women are allowed to be offended by.

"Girly" used as a negative adjective may have been ok to say for a long time, but it isn't anymore. Better get used to it. Bono better get used to it. We may all know he's not sexist based on his other words and actions, but this is what's going to get publicized.

But it's also from the same man who believes Christine Lagarde and Angela Merkel are outstanding feminists.

That’s a really good point. [emoji23]

On the other hand, both of them are successful women, who are shaping the world we have.
If they’re doing right is a matter of different discussion!

News Flash: if you're a guy, it's not your place to decide what women are allowed to be offended by.

"Girly" used as a negative adjective may have been ok to say for a long time, but it isn't anymore. Better get used to it. Bono better get used to it. We may all know he's not sexist based on his other words and actions, but this is what's going to get publicized.

If that’s what’s going to get publicized, is completely wrong.
I can’t deny it was a mistake, but maybe people can put things in context and try not to start accusing people for one word.

Honestly - the meat-headed misunderstanding of the issue at hand is astonishing.

Here it is in simple terms:

Girly in the context of it being a negative thing (music has become girly with the connotation that that is a bad thing) = not ok. Should never have been ok.

Girly as a means of preserving/honouring femininity = ok. That it is hard to think of many examples of this type of girly = not ok.

Bono deserves side-eyeing for saying that. It's a shame, as we know he's pretty fucking far from a misogynist, but you have to be more thoughtful when you're in that position.

I'm not upset about it, but neither am I jumping in anywhere to defend him.

He's smart and thoughtful, and he said a dumb thing. He'll be fine.

Bono deserves side-eyeing for saying that. It's a shame, as we know he's pretty fucking far from a misogynist, but you have to be more thoughtful when you're in that position.

I'm not upset about it, but neither am I jumping in anywhere to defend him.

He's smart and thoughtful, and he said a dumb thing. He'll be fine.

The full quote is:

“I think music has gotten very girly. And there are some good things about that, but hip-hip is the only place for young male anger at the moment — and that’s not good.”

What the hell does that even mean? “Girly” isn’t entirely negative because he says there are some good things about it. But it sounds like girly can’t be angry, which does seem sexist, unless the word “girly” is considered to have its own meaning separate from the femaleness, and nobody is going to see it that way. Maybe he’s saying pop has no anger in it? So young white males have no go-to angry music since hip hop is black? (Tell that to Eminem.) And what about angry young white females? So much for girly not implying female.

Bono, honey, I know you’re no sexist but this statement is a vaguely sexist mess.

I read that article today and didn’t even think twice about the “girly” comment. I thought he was just saying that music has become more feminine than it used to be and no longer revolves around male angst. He could have worded it better, but people really need to stop being such babies about everything. :rolleyes:

Counterpoint: it's 2017 and people don't have to put up with feminine words as perjoratives anymore.

¯\(ツ)/¯

I read that article today and didn’t even think twice about the “girly” comment. I thought he was just saying that music has become more feminine than it used to be and no longer revolves around male angst. He could have worded it better, but people really need to stop being such babies about everything. :rolleyes:

:heart:

Tomorrow everyone will have moved on to something else. Maybe Chrissy Teigen will have another bizarre flight to tweet about.

Bono will be fine. And maybe he'll learn a little something.

He chose a bad word. True.

The way he phrased it sounds sexist. True.

Bono isn't sexist. True.

Bono deserves to take some heat for being stupid with his choice of words. True.

Some will blow this way out of proportion and say Bono's a misogynistic asshole. True.

Some Trump voters will actually defend him on this not because they know he's not a sexist and made a poor word choice, but because they're tired if everyone being so PC, because they're stupid. True.

We're all fucked. True.

On the plus side, it's not the most misogynist piece of bullshit to come out in the past day or so.

That "honor" goes to Vanity Fair, who suggested that Hillary Clinton should get a new hobby. Like knitting.

I'm annoyed at Bono, but my weekly dose of feminist rage is going there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom