Songs of Ascent - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there will be a song that will raise the roof of any stadium, but will not be released as a single. The chant like chorus builds with an overpowering refrain that will encapsulate anything and everything around it into a frenzy of hair raising energy. Stadiums across the world will be shouting this song back to U2. The most unconventional, ecstatic song since 'Bad'.

Fuck. That sounds something like Unknown Caller.

Or Moment of Surrender, whichever one you prefer! :drool:

Amazing how the Slow Loris was correct on many things, Mercy was not on the album, we had that roof-blasting song, Larry and Adam awesomeness, and that it would be the best since Achtung Baby (which is not quite correct as I rate Pop a bit higher).

I strongly hope Loris returns, because the Loris speaks the goddamn truth. :yes:

Even if it is a mango-eating monkey intelligent enough to use a computer I want it to return! It seems unlikely though, though the Loris has been here for the build up to the past two albums IIRC.

see, the thing about the loris is that it is all so ambiguous, I will predict that on u2s next album there will be an epic song that isnt a single, the hardcore fans will prefer it to all the singles released in the 2000's, and its chorus will wash over the audience like an ambient, yet uplifting sonic orgy.

I bet im right

I'm getting much too excited. Maybe this Loris is in fact a fake person?

i really don't think we'll have anything big with this RollingStone thing, but i still look at it as a step in the right direction. SOA is still being talked about, and now RS is building hype with it. this is similar to what magazines were doing with NLOTH around fall last year, with us finally getting a preview from Q. i don't think this update will be nearly as detailed as Q's article, but still, it's a step in the right direction.

Man, we're going to need a third thread before we even get whatever this is from RS.

i can't believe people aren't talking about this more. maybe people just haven't heard about the RS update.

Wow

Should we really be expecting actual information?

Not just "U2 will work on SOA between tour legs" or something?
:drool:

I would hope it's more substantial that that.

Maybe not a full tracklisting but description of the songs ... perhaps a hint of the time of release (Spring or Fall 2010).

I would hope it's more substantial that that.

Maybe not a full tracklisting but description of the songs ... perhaps a hint of the time of release (Spring or Fall 2010).

yeah. to be honest, all i need to hear is that the band has concrete plans on finishing it in the studio after the US Leg. then i'll be really pumped, considering history is against U2 here.

I just don't see it happening.

sounds like it's Bono against the band here, and in U2 it's a democracy. Adam pretty much summed it up nicely

Bono hears 2 notes and hears a song....

they're no where even close to making a new record.

Larry Mullen: I definitely think we should do something good as soon as we possibly can, as opposed to quickly. I'm feeling that it's the unfinished songs from this record that we should be concentrating on. I think there's a part two of this record. That would be my instinct, would be to complete this. I think there is slower, meditative stuff on there, but I think there are other things, as well, and I don't think it will end up being that kind of record. I think it will end up being a mixture of a few different things. I would like to think that we would have a song that would end up on the radio.

Here we go again...

This has made me feel worse about SOA. The only thing we've learned is that they'll put some "singles" on SOA.:doh:

Yeah.

That was like an anti-update.

They'd like to have a single - probably EBW - out by Spring.

Capital.

I just don't see it happening.

sounds like it's Bono against the band here, and in U2 it's a democracy. Adam pretty much summed it up nicely

Bono hears 2 notes and hears a song....

they're no where even close to making a new record.

i have had the same opinion for the most part, but now that RS is pumping an update on their website "soon", i do wonder if we have something concrete here.

Yeah, the Roger Moore story was the best bit about it. I agree with the anti-update angle, nothing really much new at all. I still hark back to the fact though that I think it will be pretty difficult to do another 50 odd shows next year on tour without some new material. I mean, I'll still buy tickets, but so many more would do so if they had a new album out next spring again!! Especially if they end up doing the US in early summer again followed by Europe again late summer which looks like it could be the plan.

give up on the fucking radio. It didn't play U2 songs when they actually made catchy tunes, and it's not playing their songs when they make challenging/good tunes.

Wonder if they see the sales, and the reaction from the US crowds to the new songs and think they need to go back to the formula that worked very well the past 2 records.

How about just put out completed songs, yes they should be good, but really, other than a handful of stinkers in their entire career, we know U2 produce quality more times than not.

I also agree that it will turn into a Greatest Hits tour if they can't get new material out for next year's tour. The album will be nearly 18 months old and what other singles will be played (especially since we've gone through 3/4 of them already).

From Bono:

"Bono: We certainly don't want to go away for a few years. [The next] album is called Songs of Ascent, and it's a very clear idea. If we're going to do another rock record, I want to do Spider-Man. I just haven't talked Adam and Larry into that.

I would like to have one of our songs on the pop charts. It's my only disappointment [with No Line on the Horizon] People love, love the album it's had rave reviews, not just in the U.S., but all over the world. But I would like a few pop songs on it. So I would like, even on Songs of Ascent, songs that have a shot at that. I would like to come back with a new single in the spring — "Every Breaking Wave" was Jimmy Iovine's favorite song, and lots of people got upset when we took that off.
"

sounds to me like B's been muzzled.

no surprise there. It is still positive overall that we know the name of the album and its first single.

Sounds to me like they'll put SOA out in half a decade, with a bunch of Rubin shit thrown on there, too (I really, really can't stand that man). But if U2 can put that same album out and have a quality hit-single on it (I'm fine with something like Crazy Tonight, but another Vertifail will be annoying), that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom