Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a huge disconnect between “they didn’t pick the songs I like” and “the songs are not appropriate for the concept”.

I feel like many people here don’t understand that.

For what it's worth - Metallica are at the same level U2 is, and are very plugged in with their band forums and fan sentiment.

I would contend that U2’s level of plugged-inness is nothing to do with the chapter titles of a book Bono is writing on how certain songs have shaped his life. They aren’t on the same spectrum. He picked 40 songs to tell a story. If he vets that through fan sentiment then isn’t he failing artistically at being true to the work and the idea?

If U2 wasn’t somewhat plugged in with their fans, Acrobat never would have been played live.

I would contend that U2’s level of plugged-inness is nothing to do with the chapter titles of a book Bono is writing on how certain songs have shaped his life. They aren’t on the same spectrum. He picked 40 songs to tell a story. If he vets that through fan sentiment then isn’t he failing artistically at being true to the work and the idea?

I agree with you with regards to the book/album- I was just pointing that, since there was a bit of dismissing fan forums as an outdated mode of social media, a band like Metallica - one of U2’s few true peers in terms of status - still uses the forums as a way to gauge the interests of their most hardcore fanbase. Metallica doesn’t have many “white whale” live songs left because of this - when there’s significant fan interest online for a tune, it usually gets played.

Does he unveil what his health scare was or he alludes to it and doesn’t say what it was again?

This is just a guess, but I’d bet he discusses his most recent scare in the book. I think a lot of the not wanting to talk about it in the press for SoE was because he’d likely started his book around the same time and wanted to save it.

Trip down memory lane

When Elvis (site owner:creator) pranked the forums with pretending the band was posting here.

All the bands names were reserved, so we started seeing The Edge drop vague messages and then never reply

I feel like the member who would show up here is Larry

Just to argue with everyone

I agree with you with regards to the book/album- I was just pointing that, since there was a bit of dismissing fan forums as an outdated mode of social media, a band like Metallica - one of U2’s few true peers in terms of status - still uses the forums as a way to gauge the interests of their most hardcore fanbase. Metallica doesn’t have many “white whale” live songs left because of this - when there’s significant fan interest online for a tune, it usually gets played.

No disagreement from me.

Am I in a weird minority because I actually don’t hate Song For Someone from SOI?

SFS is probably my least favorite song on the album, but it is one of the very few songs, that has apart that consistently gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

And I'm a long way
From your hill of Calvary
And I'm a long way
From where I was, where I need to be

Not sure why, just does.

I don't bemoan the choice of songs here because it's obviously tied in with the book and that's cool with me. My only gripe is that Lemon, and Zooropa as a whole, is skipped all together. I would think they could at least give representation from all albums.

The funny thing is, I'd much rather hear remakes of the songs I don't like so much than the ones I do. I feel like messing with Bad, WOWY, Two Hearts, Wake Up Dead Man, SBS, I will Follow, Until The End..., The Fly is near sacrilege to me. Have at the Crumbs, Miracle Drug, Showman, LIghts, Cedarwood, Iris, SFS, Get Out, Invisible etc...

Am I in a weird minority because I actually don’t hate Song For Someone from SOI?
3eb5aabb-3df9-4aa5-8f39-a345a5b737e5_text.gif

I like Song For Someone. 2013/2014 was the beginning of a tough period for me, marked by a bunch of stuff I won't get into other than a longstanding bout of unrequited love that kept weaving in and out of my life while I was trying to both pursue it and deny it.

In regards to that, and the timing of their release and sentiments, Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave really do it for me. Hope, longing, doubt, etc.

Similar for Pearl Jam. Often times there'll be a thread on their forum along the lines of "play Release in Timbuktu for my dad who just passed, thanks, Myron"...and at the Timbuktu concert they'll play release and Vedder will mention "this one is for Myron's dad".
Now that is the official fan club forum and I assume it's the same with Metallica whereas we are a band of outlaw fat Bono shaming misfits, so not sure the band pays us much mind. Don't know if the Zootopia forum at U2.com (does anybody go there?) would be a different story.

Similar for Pearl Jam. Often times there'll be a thread on their forum along the lines of "play Release in Timbuktu for my dad who just passed, thanks, Myron"...and at the Timbuktu concert they'll play release and Vedder will mention "this one is for Myron's dad".
Now that is the official fan club forum and I assume it's the same with Metallica whereas we are a band of outlaw fat Bono shaming misfits, so not sure the band pays us much mind. Don't know if the Zootopia forum at U2.com (does anybody go there?) would be a different story.

Yeah and I think 99% of fan bases of bands not named Pearl Jam wish their band could be more interactive like Pearl Jam. They just do it fucking right across the board.

Yeah and I think 99% of fan bases of bands not named Pearl Jam wish their band could be more interactive like Pearl Jam. They just do it fucking right across the board.

Don’t they switch up the set list pretty drastically for every show too?

Nope. I don't love it, but I also don't mind it at all. I was going through a weird break-up when it came out. So the line about not letting the light go out landed pretty heavily.

Don’t they switch up the set list pretty drastically for every show too?

I'm going to cut U2 some slack there. Pearl Jam plays a drastically different set at every show, but their stage setup is also pretty spartan. Guitars, amps, drums, mic.

U2 puts together a spectacle just about every time - and typically manage to have revolving slots in the setlist - so while you get some every show mainstays, you're not seeing an identical show night-to-night.

Also...U2.com has a message board?

My condolences to that guy. Not for his dad dying, but because his name is Myron.

I like Song For Someone. It wouldn't make my U2 top 100 but the studio version is fine.

Get Out has potential but is held back by their decision to graft it onto Beautiful Day. There's an opportunity to save that with a rerecording.

I like Song For Someone. It wouldn't make my U2 top 100 but the studio version is fine.

Get Out has potential but is held back by their decision to graft it onto Beautiful Day. There's an opportunity to save that with a rerecording.

I also like Song for Someone. I don't get the animosity for it. Though I also was going through a bit of a personal dilemma the week that SoI dropped, so I have a special place for some of those songs in my heart.

I've said this a lot, but I actually think the issue with Get Out Of Your Own Way was that they *didn't* emulate Beautiful Day (though it sounds like they tried to). It's not the song - it's the production. The chorus of Beautiful Day just explodes - the dynamics work. The chorus lifts the song up, and the "touch me" part takes it even higher.

Get Out of Your Own Way seems to want to do that, but the production gets it all wrong. The chorus starts with a snare fill that should signify a big liftoff, yet instead it’s just the background vocals that have to do most of the heavy lifting. Edge’s guitar is nonexistent until the *third* iteration of the chorus, before the solo, and even then it's pretty weak. That’s an astoundingly poor choice for a song with such a hooky chorus. For a band who has been so insistent on forcing FULL BLOWN RAWK into their songs for the last 20 years, they didn't do it on the one song that probably could have benefited from some straight power chords in the chorus. I thought the BBC version was not perfect, but way better.

I also like Song for Someone. I don't get the animosity for it. Though I also was going through a bit of a personal dilemma the week that SoI dropped, so I have a special place for some of those songs in my heart.

I've said this a lot, but I actually think the issue with Get Out Of Your Own Way was that they *didn't* emulate Beautiful Day (though it sounds like they tried to). It's not the song - it's the production. The chorus of Beautiful Day just explodes - the dynamics work. The chorus lifts the song up, and the "touch me" part takes it even higher.

Get Out of Your Own Way seems to want to do that, but the production gets it all wrong. The chorus starts with a snare fill that should signify a big liftoff, yet instead it’s just the background vocals that have to do most of the heavy lifting. Edge’s guitar is nonexistent until the *third* iteration of the chorus, before the solo, and even then it's pretty weak. That’s an astoundingly poor choice for a song with such a hooky chorus. For a band who has been so insistent on forcing FULL BLOWN RAWK into their songs for the last 20 years, they didn't do it on the one song that probably could have benefited from some straight power chords in the chorus. I thought the BBC version was not perfect, but way better.

I probably like "Get Out Of Your Own Way" more than a lot of people here. My biggest issue is that the "ah ah ah ah" after "Get Out Of Your Own Way" is a bit awkward and sounds like they're straining a bit. For a band so obsessed with tweaking the small details, I always thought it was weird that it made the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom