Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well done, bravo. The whole thing holds together 1,000x better without the mailed-in "You don't know..." dross. For me in my lineup I see that an awesome side 2 complement and mirror to Fez, I'd probably put it after Unknown Caller or Kingdom. I can take or leave Winter, it kind of works, it kind of doesn't. What I like about your version is that it hides a lot of Bono's lyrical missteps, no small feat.

Yeah I tried my best to use Winter… I just can’t get on board with it.

Few more titles confirmed:

11 O’Clock Tick Tock (Non-album)
Out of Control (Boy)
Stories for Boys (Boy)
Two Hearts Beat as One (War)
Bad (TUF)
Where the Streets Have No Name (TJT)
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (TJT)
With or Without You (TJT)
One (Achtung Baby)
Wake Up Dead Man (Pop)
Beautiful Day (ATYCLB)
Vertigo (HTDAAB)
City of Blinding Lights (HTDAAB)
Crumbs from Your Table (HTDAAB)
Moment of Surrender (NLOTH)
Breathe (NLOTH)
Invisible (Non-album)
Ordinary Love (Non-album)
Iris (Hold Me Close) (SOI)
Song for Someone (SOI)
The Showman (Much More Better) (SOE)

That’s 21

Add to this:

Until the End of the World
Miracle Drug

Seems like u2songs are revealing a new song or two each day

Add to this:

Until the End of the World

Miracle Drug

Seems like u2songs are revealing a new song or two each day

Nice. I’m actually quite shocked that SYCMIOYO isn’t in there given the subject matter. I’m hoping new miracle drug has more of the chorus structure from the I+E live versions.

Do the people that thought this wasn’t very different still think that? The cello stuff is really cool - tempo is similar, but there’s lots going on in a clearer recording.

Do the people that thought this wasn’t very different still think that? The cello stuff is really cool - tempo is similar, but there’s lots going on in a clearer recording.

I always like the reimagining of things, similar to Tony Visconti completely reproducing Lodger with new technology as a new record, but I didn't feel THIS was necessary. That said the kind of controlled, muted release and high quality is welcomed. If this is how they'll look post-Oseary, I'm for it.

i have but one request for the future of U2. I don't ask for much, but all I ask for is this.

Please, for the love of god, let this be the end of the "Songs of..." era.

Do not, under any circumstance, use "Songs of..." for the next release of new music.

Oh, but Songs of Ascent is already finished and titled!

Who cares. Call it Ascent for all I care. Rid the world of the stench of "Songs of..."

I wish they would have redone "For Your Love", the much better version of "Stand Up Comedy".

Runtime on the audio book is 20 hours and 25 minutes.
Interested how that’s going to work for the cd version of the audiobook. With a disc usually lasting 80-90 minutes max that’s 15-16 discs worth, seems a lot.

Yeah. Maybe I'm dense but it still sounds like...Vertigo, just with cello in place of the guitar. I guess the second chorus being a bit more muted is a somewhat interesting choice but not one that makes me ever want to listen to it again.

Maybe this project just isn't for me (assuming Bono is performing versions of these songs similar to what is on the album, of course). The chillwave version of With Or Without You isn't doing it for me either. It's essentially the same but...worse. I just can't see myself ever choosing to listen to the cello version of Vertigo over the original. Same goes for WOWY.

i have but one request for the future of U2. I don't ask for much, but all I ask for is this.

Please, for the love of god, let this be the end of the "Songs of..." era.

Do not, under any circumstance, use "Songs of..." for the next release of new music.

Oh, but Songs of Ascent is already finished and titled!

Who cares. Call it Ascent for all I care. Rid the world of the stench of "Songs of..."

I agree with this. Not because I care personally or because I think the Songs of... titles/concepts are bad. But they haven't been successful for U2 in the public eye and slapping 'Songs of...' on the title will link any new songs to that era to the public at large. As Don Draper once eloquently put it to a client, "the name has been poisoned."

Last edited:
Yeah. Maybe I'm dense but it still sounds like...Vertigo, just with cello in place of the guitar. I guess the second chorus being a bit more muted is a somewhat interesting choice but not one that makes me ever want to listen to it again.

Maybe this project just isn't for me (assuming Bono is performing versions of these songs similar to what is on the album, of course). The chillwave version of With Or Without You isn't doing it for me either. It's essentially the same but...worse. I just can't see myself ever choosing to listen to the cello version of Vertigo over the original. Same goes for WOWY.

Agreed. Nothing interesting has been done with the arrangements that we've heard. The only way for this project to have musical value is if they took a drastic approach to reinterpreting the material, but the combination of their musical conservatism and insistence upon choosing unworthy collaborators likely dooms this project to the status of a curiosity.

David Sylvian put out a striking album called Died in the Wool where some songs off his previous album, Manafon, had their electronic music replaced by a string quartet that was arranged by a modern composer whose name escapes me. A radical approach was taken and it paid off. I wouldn't expect U2 to do something similar, but it would be interesting to hear reworkings that lean towards the avant garde.

No, simply bringing up an artistically successful album that included reworkings of previously recorded material.

Hipster gatekeeping :lol:

Last edited:
songs of comparing what u2 does to obscure English singers who had their only fleeting moment of relevance 40 years ago

Seems like you're conflating mainstream popularity with relevance while failing to consider artistic value. That's the kind of foolishness Bono has wedded himself to since U2 became irrelevant almost 20 years ago.

Well, you seem to be disappointed that a veteran arena/stadium act who hasn't put out an album in 5 years and is trying to remind the general public of their worth post-Covid while promoting an autobiography isn't opting for the avant garde approach, when that would be a pretty dumb move. It's "hey, we have a lot of great songs from the past 40 years, let's have a little fun with them and try some things with instrumentation and arrangements", not "let's take a song people love and turn it into something weird and unrecognizable".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom