SOE 34: If there is a leak, don't let it go unheard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some comments after my first listen:

- The opening with LIAWHL and then Lights of Home is pretty great. Seeing as they've mostly started with rockers and/or singles, especially in later years, it was nice to get something a bit more atmospheric ala TUF and Zooropa.

- Summer of Love is just great, contemporary stuff. Awesome melody, single-worthy for sure.

- Red Flag Day didn't leave much of an impression; it's definitely not bad, but sandwiched between the unabashedly catchy SoL and The Showman it didn't feel as memorable.

- Little Things studio version is really solid, when they added the atmospheric synth at the end of the Kimmel performance I noted how much it added compared to just the base instruments, and indeed they went full on with the production and it paid off. Great song.

- Landlady is good, but not a favourite.

- LIBTAIIW is awesome. I'd love for it to be a bit longer; I might have to listen to it some more to confirm, but it didn't feel like it had too long of a build-up before erupting into anthem-level, I always love me a long build-up and it would've made it a bit longer. Really nice though, and cool to have a song like that at the very back-end of an album, it's not like them.

- The melodies and lyrics in the verses of 13 (There Is A Light) is some of the most beautiful Bono has ever written, holy shit. The SFS chorus works well in it, and it's an interesting way of connecting to SOI, but I would've killed for a unique chorus of the same quality as the rest of the song. Amazing song, though.

Overall I'm really impressed. Some of the songs feel like they're just one little nudge from being absolute classics; I think once the familiarity of 13's verses compared to the chorus start to balance out I'll think of that as one of my favourite U2 songs ever, because apart from that it's absolutely incredible. Summer of Love and The Showman are such strong, contemporary songs, and not one you expect from a band in its 41st year. All in all it's mostly not blowing my mind like the very very best U2 albums, but this is very strong material. Great work.

Last edited:
Just created as a playlist with The Troubles going into Love is All We Have Left. Yeah, it works. I love the thematic consistency in the albums. I think they nailed the concept they were going for.

If this was released by a band in their 20s, it would be a monster hit

Just created as a playlist with The Troubles going into Love is All We Have Left. Yeah, it works. I love the thematic consistency in the albums. I think they nailed the concept they were going for.

I'm already trying to find a place for Book of your heart! What an awesome b-side.

Yeah, not making grand statements about the quality yet (believe you me, I am chomping at the bit to do just that), but its just that there are some songs that are incredibly catchy here

Looking at the singles or pseudo-singles released thus far and accounting for Little Things' live track record, I figure the E&I tour is going to feature at least 5 and as many 7 or 8 of these songs nightly. They may have to exclude Lights of Home and Showman and/or Summer of Love.

What’s the best way to listen if I only have an iPhone on me? Think I’m ready to cave now that the higher quality version is out.

Well...I clicked on the link, downloaded WeTransfer, transferred the zip file from WeTransfer to my Google Drive account, and then downloaded iZip Pro on the App Store (cost me $5 but whatever). Then I linked my Google Drive account with the iZip Pro app, and then once you click on the file, the app unzips the file. Note: if you want to transfer the audio back to Google Drive, it warns you that it’ll compress the file. I decided to just leave it downloaded on iZip Pro and listen to it from there.

A long process, but at least I can now hear it on my phone. :wink:

I am considering this a 16 track album....Book of Your Heart, Ordinary Love, and Lights of Home alternate each deserve a place. Just too good. So I essentially have an amazing double album.

:drool: WOW ! cdrip yaaaasss!! thank you to who ever leaked it! it's AWESOME!!! not disappointed about it at all, don't worry CD was pre-ordered weeks ago. I love listening to U2 leaks, I remember the night NLOTH leaked on this very forum, I was awake all night listening to it, one of my favorite U2 memories. Thank you U2 , I needed this, this year!! And I'm still freakin excited for Friday ..LOL :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom