SOE Holdouts until 12/1- The End is Near

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I am really eager to listen to this album again but it's nearly 3am where I am and I've drunk(or is it drank) too much to be able to keep listening.

I can already sense several of these songs growing on me. Very excited to keep listening to the album. I'll be able to give a proper review in a couple of months, once I am able to spend more time with the songs.
Drunk, works both ways

I thought of this the other day. I like both songs. The guitar on SOL is so great.

It really captures that r&b groove with a nice effortless feel. I like MAAW too but always felt it needed more work especially on the chorus.

And just listened to SOL in the Car at 4am. I am getting a Zombies 1967 vibe from the song too which I love.

I just logged into U2.com to check out my order status for the deluxe edition and it didn't even ship until today. I thought when you pre-order stuff like that it usually ships to arrive on release day? I dont want to get my shit a week late. Ugh.

I just logged into U2.com to check out my order status for the deluxe edition and it didn't even ship until today. I thought when you pre-order stuff like that it usually ships to arrive on release day? I dont want to get my shit a week late. Ugh.

Mine arrived about an hour ago here in the UK

Same here, but I doubt my Target will have the Deluxe edition (maybe they'll surprise me!). To me, Spotify or a digital download doesn't count as a legitimate listening experience. That's secondary after getting the physical copy.

I didn't think of this.... So how am I going to get the deluxe version I wonder? You think Amazon would have it?

I'm listening on spottily on my iMac to the full deluxe album. I haven't subscribe yet to the service. I don't know how that works, but good way to get first listen in...

On time? From U2.com? HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA.

I expect on time release day from Amazon. So naturally I am pissed my deluxe CDs are delayed until next week. :angry:

Walmart...Target...Best Buy....:shifty:

I was joking! and those aren't record stores! they carry music... but those a superstores

Record stores sold 90% music and some knick knacks and in America there were mostly in malls... I bought u2 POP from I think it was called Strawberries.... first U2 album I believe was Record Town, but there were 3 places all with similar names in same mall all owned by same big corporate company...

FREEDOM!!!!! Holdout is over. Most painful experience of my life.

As opposed to my normal long windedness I will be brief. The album is fantastic. I liked TBT/AS/GOOYOW, but I did not love them, but they all rank in the bottom of my list of favorite songs on the album, and they play much better in the context of the album. I think Little Things and Lights of Home are absolute U2 classics. The lyrics on both of them are incredible. Just reading the lyrics of Lights of Home, I find it remarkable how the band, probably more particularly Bono, can turn his relationship with God into a beautiful, internal conversation and struggle, and fit it into a rock song. I also think Landlady is a borderline U2 fall of famer as well, those lyrics are incredible as well. Love is All We Have Left and Red Flag Day are also highlights for me, and they turned Song for Someone into a great song with its 13 companion.

I was not expecting to enjoy so many individual songs as much as I currently am. And for the songs not mentioned, I can tell they are growers that will withstand the test of time and be good U2 songs. Hey this is no time not to be alive. And what a time it is.

FREEDOM!!!!! Holdout is over. Most painful experience of my life.

As opposed to my normal long windedness I will be brief. The album is fantastic. I liked TBT/AS/GOOYOW, but I did not love them, but they all rank in the bottom of my list of favorite songs on the album, and they play much better in the context of the album. I think Little Things and Lights of Home are absolute U2 classics. The lyrics on both of them are incredible. Just reading the lyrics of Lights of Home, I find it remarkable how the band, probably more particularly Bono, can turn his relationship with God into a beautiful, internal conversation and struggle, and fit it into a rock song. I also think Landlady is a borderline U2 fall of famer as well, those lyrics are incredible as well. Love is All We Have Left and Red Flag Day are also highlights for me, and they turned Song for Someone into a great song with its 13 companion.

I was not expecting to enjoy so many individual songs as much as I currently am. And for the songs not mentioned, I can tell they are growers that will withstand the test of time and be good U2 songs. Hey this is no time not to be alive. And what a time it is.

Glad you loved it!! and your highlight songs mirror most of mine. What an album!

...and we made it. For now, I listened to the unpublished ones.

Landlady
Little things that give you away
and Love is bigger than anything in its way stand out.

I will give a more detailed/proper review soon as I continue to soak these songs.

Spoiler: Little Things is a pretty damn great song....I don’t give new songs 10/10 from U2 right away but this one is really beautiful.

My deluxe set is ‘pending delivery’ from Amazon. So much for pre order

Yeah, defeats the purpose and that sucks. Truth be told, there is nothing like going to a record store at midnight of a release and getting it in your hands but I honestly don’t know where to get a physical CD anymore other than big chains that happen to sell music but they close at 10ish.

Sorry to hear that.

Ahh, no big deal. iTunes downloaded early yesterday and I’ve been enjoying it all day!

Wow!! I held out until just now .As someone who became super fan just after Bomb was released, NLOTH was the first album I anticipated. In those days, it would've been unthinkable to get a leak and not listen to it immediately. It's amazing how time changes you. I still vividly remember refreshing the pages here and pouncing on that Australia leak the second it became known here. SOI, I was the only person on the planet who had trouble getting it- my I tunes was screwed up. :lol:I just as vividly remember driving to my girlfriend's house 10 miles away at rush hour to get a CD she had burned for me.

So these days........I work overnight and have been real under the weather lately. Physically and mentally. Came home, slept a bit, woke up, went to Target and just listened at home. I don't do song or album rankings this early because I'll never forget calling No Line a masterpiece. I waited a month to review SOI and thought it was the best since AB. All I'll say is that has held up until my first impression of SOE.

I had very high expectations due mostly to the many wonderful reviews here that I've been faithfully reading, but on first listen, even those were exceeded! I'll only share a few random thoughts at such an early stage: Little Things, Love is bigger and 13 were the tear jerkers. All gave me chills. I loved SOI on first listen but I don't remember getting emotional- maybe a bit during California but nothing like little things. Summer of love and lights of home are familiar while also being new ground for U2. And they sound effortless pulling it off. Loving the early U2 vibes on Red flag, as I knew I would. The fuckin SHOWMAN, though!!!!!! Damn. That song immediately put me in a great mood and I don't see it ever not doing that. And it's not just a feel good cliche- it's a nice self deprecating examination wrapped in that infectious melody. I wasn't expecting much out of it- saw some positive takes on it here but a lot of "meh" and some even seemed to think it was a borderline clunker. I even thought maybe Noel Gallagher was just being nice out of obligation and saying something good about a lesser track to give legitimacy to the consitent narrative the band and their friends have been building around this album. As soon as I heard the little clip last night on Instagram, I knew I would love it. And I do! Not saying it's the greatest thing they've ever written- or the best on the album- but for a feeling it evokes - yeah Noel is 100% right- I wish I'd written that! I don't have an artistic bone in my body, granted, but I don't see how any artist wouldn't wish they had written this song.

Anyways, a few of my scatter brained thoughts. I'll review for real in a few weeks. Thank you to everyone here who did such a good job of reviewing after the leak!

Back
Top Bottom