SOE Holdouts until 12/1- The End is Near

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally listening. I sobbed during Little Things. Sobbed.

The studio version is really well done.
I’ve never seen such emotions from U2 fans before.
Reading lots of fan reviews and reactions. So many saying how several songs brought them to tears.
I know that I experienced the same thing.
It’s amazing that this band still has the power and talent to stir those emotions.

I’m glad I waited until it was released. The only one I listened to early was How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, because the local alternative station got it early and played it in its entirety.

Love is bigger did especially with Bono's loud fat Elvis voice. The Showman, Landlady and Little Things as well. Part of the tears is knowing that the last U2 album is much closer than the 1st.

Finally listening. I sobbed during Little Things. Sobbed.
I love this. Stoked for you.
My goggles fogged up during my first listen of that song. Not cause of what it was saying, but because U2 were doing U2 this well in 2017. It's like being certain your dog has died, then days later it trots down the driveway.

My goggles fogged up during my first listen of that song. Not cause of what it was saying, but because U2 were doing U2 this well in 2017. It's like being certain your dog has died, then days later it trots down the driveway.

That’s one awesome analogy!

So good. :lol:

I would love to read that last sentence in a review.

Super solid, but no magic hit

I just finished my first listen, and I'll be honest, I'm a bit disappointed.

For reference, my favorite U2 albums are Achtung Baby & Pop (live versions), followed closely by Joshua Tree & All That You Can't Leave Behind.

On first listen, Songs of Experience has no real clunkers, and is super solid top to bottom. However, it's missing that big, massive, emotional magic U2 such as With or Without You, One, Please, Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own, etc. I feel like Little Things is the closest thing, but isn't super

The songs are short, tight, and catchy, and far more cohesive and better flow than the last two albums though. I just don't hear a massive hit or a big emotional U2 anthem unfortunately.

There's some good stuff here and the album sounds way more cohesive than the last 2 or 3, but, aside from the first 2 tracks and Red Flag Day, nothing really gets my heart racing. I was drawn to U2 in the first place because I never wanted to hear a chorus like the one in You're The Best Thing About Me ever again. After 5 albums of motivational lyrics and defiant optimism, I'm ready for a new phase.

I just got done listening. I cried during the last two songs. Here are some first impression bullet points:
-Summer of Love is amazing
-American Soul sounds as bad as I feared it would; it’s way too politically specific for my taste.
-Red Flag Day really does sound like it came straight from War
-The first song reminds me of the first track from Keane’s Under the Iron Sea. A lot of SOE reminded me of that album, actually, but less depressing.
-SOE is less depressing overall than I thought it would be.
-The Showman is just plain silly and reminds me of Smash Mouth (they were my first favorite band). Same for Landlady.
-GOOYOW is growing on me, which I figured would happen
-Was that crowd noise I heard in some places?
-I feel like this album is very.... bare? Something is missing, but I don’t know what it is. Maybe it seems that way because the vocals are front and center. The focus is on Bono to the extent that I didn’t notice much else on first listen besides the lyrics. Or at least that’s how it felt to me.
-This album is very different from all other U2 albums. It’s like a cross between ATYCLB and War, with a sleek modern feel.

First impression rating, which might change tomorrow, or in five minutes: 8/10.

I didn't think of this.... So how am I going to get the deluxe version I wonder? You think Amazon would have it?

Amazon has the Deluxe edition, but it’s not here yet.

However, I went to Target and was pleasantly surprised to see that they did indeed have the Deluxe edition; in fact, that was the only version they had! So the score is Target: 1, Amazon: 0. I will be returning my Amazon order when it arrives, and will never count on them to deliver on release day ever again. High five, Target! :hi5:

well said. And I agree! Though... I think the dog did die when he heard Love is Bigger ...

Am I the only one on the board who hasn't listened yet? I've been intentionally avoided this part of the board.

I've been meaning to listen for several days now, and fully intended to, but then life got in the way. I've only gotten through Love is All We Have Left, which sounds beautiful, even if it does feel like half a song and the lyrics are...well, yeah. Anyway, if the rest of the album is like this, I might end up liking it.

Last edited:
I just logged into U2.com to check out my order status for the deluxe edition and it didn't even ship until today. I thought when you pre-order stuff like that it usually ships to arrive on release day? I dont want to get my shit a week late. Ugh.
Same here,yet I know some people got CD'S on the 1st by them.

I've played it a couple of times, it's an odd album for me- it's well made but doesn't quite work as well as SOI for me. Stand out track so far is Summer of Love- least favourite is Showman

Am I the only one on the board who hasn't listened yet? I've been intentionally avoided this part of the board.

I've been meaning to listen for several days now, and fully intended to, but then life got in the way. I've only gotten through Love is All We Have Left, which sounds beautiful, even if it does feel like half a song and the lyrics are...well, yeah. Anyway, if the rest of the album is like this, I might end up liking it.

I haven't either. I was gonna wait until release date to get it. But then yesterday was crazy busy at work, and then I immediately had to go from work to a friend's birthday party that went pretty late. This would've seemed unfathomable to me years ago, but life happens I guess. Today though, I'm going to listen to it HARDCORE!!!

Summer of Love is absolutely the standout, with Little Things. It was love at first listen, so sonically gorgeous. Those two have bubbled up to be among my all time favorites.

The wails of "No, no, no..." totally make Red Flag Day, even if I didn't think this song is cool because it could've been on Boy.

The entire thread from Summer of Love all the way through to Landlady is :applaud:

I about cried when I heard Love is All, and I'm a puddle of mush the entire back third of Little Things (pure U2 magic as others have said).

Many of the reviews have been annoying. Written by people who have no clue about the history and the back story behind many of their songs that put lyrics in context.

I wish only one song had released early, or that I hadn't listened, because they are now the ones I tend to skip. I feel like it has cheapened those songs, most of which are quite good too.

Landlady seems to underwhelm people, but I love it.

Overall, some of the songs have blown me away, many have surprised me, few have disappointed me--but not by much, and don't even get me started on Bono's voice. Beyond beautiful. So happy for them and for us that the vast majority of fans seem to love this album.

After 5 times listens I'm taken by this album. For me therez not a "klunker" in the bunch. There's moments for me that harken back to tuf and passengers... As usual the guitar work is fantastic some real cool bass lines and again Larry shined. There are few cringe worthy lyrics but by and large this is a excellent album. Little things really takes flight.. It kinda takes me back to TUF/JT era.... I want to thank you guys as I was reading everyones thoughts on this this album didn't let me down.

Also thematically it feels like a cohesive album. There's a common thread to it. Just a great album worth the wait.

This. Part of why I think I'm so emotional listening to this album is because of this. Just so full of joy that this album confirms U2 really still are the U2 we all have come to love so much.
And for the record, I can't get through the last part of Little Things, Landlady and all of 13 without real tears. Amazing. :heart:

This. Part of why I think I'm so emotional listening to this album is because of this. Just so full of joy that this album confirms U2 really still are the U2 we all have come to love so much.

And for the record, I can't get through the last part of Little Things, Landlady and all of 13 without real tears. Amazing. :heart:

Landlady is an interesting one for me. It starts slow and somewhat "average" but the finish is very strong and it really is a very emotional flow from Bono. I haven't yet decided where this one falls.

13 is okay but once you listen to it in the context of Bono talking to his younger self after the death of his mom.....that is some heavy stuff. It gives so much more weight to the lyrics, especially "darkness always gathers around the light" and then of course the theme of "don't let it go out" takes on even more meaning (don't become consumed by the darkness where your light goes out....perhaps via suicide or depression).

As for Little Things....yeah, it's brilliant.

Landlady really is beautiful. I was a little underwhelmed on first listen, but I listened in the car today when driving around and it’s amazing.

The Showman has grown on me.

I skipped American Soul. I really wish that song wasn’t there. It’s Volcano’s bad counterpart, like Native Son is to Vertigo. Ugh. I can’t even bring myself to listen a second time.

Great post.. I feel reaffirmation that u2 still does it for me. I've been going thru tough patch missing my mom terribly and many of these songs are bringing emotions good and bad to the surface for me... It harkens back to ATYCLB era where my personal life was in shambles and then 9/11... These guys still hit all the right chords with me.Landlady is lovely and 13 also. Showman is growing better and better... The one I'm not sure about is American soul.

I'm not sure I know how this album goes together other than the fact that U2 says it was things to tell their children before they died. A way of thinking. But to me that's literally every U2 song -- expressing love to family, friends, and us.

Anyway -- I fucking love the music I'm hearing. I don't get the album order. I don't like the Lamar bit. I don't see how Red Flag Day and Blackout are on the same album, but I love both songs... I don't get the title Landlady -- is that about his wife -- it's such an old timey word....

The worst songs to me are the first one which I don't even consider a song, more an introduction and American soul -- but I know I'll dance to it in concert if they play it.

It's hard because I heard Best thing for over a year and blackout and others for months before rest of album so it's hard to put together... I sort of miss the days of 1 single. When you hear 30% of the album out of context, it's a bit weird to consider it as one thing. That's how I feel.

Best Thing About Me -- I've loved for a year

The Blackout - awesome, like live version more

Love is Bigger -- outstanding

Red flag day -- so weird, can't get out of my head, feels like something from 1983, so maybe it should have been on the last album... the way he says "water" kills me

Lights of Home -- what a beat.... i can feel this being so much better live and i really like it now

Get Out of Your Own Way -- It's solid, I like it, just feels off and that end rap part I don't understand why it's part of the song/album... annoying for single listening purposes, of course can edit that on iTunes... random? Lamar is fine, I just don't get it

Summer Of Love -- Man and a Woman Part 2? I think they wrote this song a few times, but this is the best one they wrote.

The Showman -- I don't understand why it's not just called this --- this one sounds like Butch Walker to me, another guy I love -- it's so effortless and I love it.

Little Things -- Not sure I even listened to album ver yet, but live it's killer

Landlady -- I want to fuck this song. I don't love the title. That's my review!

The Blackout -- why is it number 11 and not track 1 which makes more sense to all of us???? I know it doesn't matter, but I don't get track order of this album. Why it feels out of place.

Love Is Bigger -- Pretentious title unless your U2 and full of sincerity. It's the song that plays at the end of the movie. It's the song that even your wife who doesn't like U2 might like. This feels like the song we all love that they will refuse to play live for some reason.

13 -- Why is it called this? There is a Light is a better title. I'm a writer and I'm so confused by their titles! I know it's track 13 -- i'm saying just called it THERE IS A LIGHT....

Track 1 and 13 to me aren't song, but just bookends to the rest of the album... so to me the album has 11 tracks just like most U2 albums....

And when I read "best album in a long time" that's the sort of back handed shit you see for crappy movies. "Best movie to feature Tom Cruise in years..." that's not a positive. That's a FU. So on behalf of angry larry --- "go fuck yourself."

Great post.. I feel reaffirmation that u2 still does it for me. I've been going thru tough patch missing my mom terribly and many of these songs are bringing emotions good and bad to the surface for me... It harkens back to ATYCLB era where my personal life was in shambles and then 9/11... These guys still hit all the right chords with me.Landlady is lovely and 13 also. Showman is growing better and better... The one I'm not sure about is American soul.

Exactly - this music is so bringing forth so many emotions, and that is truly a beautiful thing. Certain songs (Little Things, Landlady, 13) I won't be able to listen to unless I know I'm willing to mess up my eye makeup :laugh:- U2 is really the only artist that can do this to me. And their music in the past decade hasn't really done this. This is why this album is precious to me.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom. :heart:

After a few listens i absolutely love this album. The only song that I will skip through is Showman, doesn't do anything for me. And the strings version of Lights of Home? Wow wow wow unbelievably epic.

I’m trying not to over listen to the album and at this moment, I’m inching to hear Red Flag Day, Love is Bigger, Landlady and Summer of Love. I also have a lesser urge to hear Showman and 13.

Showman I didn’t like on first listen or subsequent listens and yet I still want to go back and listen.

Back
Top Bottom