SOE 34: If there is a leak, don't let it go unheard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listened last night, and initially had a similar reaction to others: loved most of it, not quite connecting with The Showman. Thought that would be the weak link.

This morning, before even deciding whether or not to listen again, one song’s chorus is stuck in my head worse than any song’s been stuck in years: The Showman.

Not sure how much I’ll ultimately like it, but damn it’s catchy.

I think this will be a highlight of live shows, I see Bono dancing to this song with some cute gal, like what has happened with Mysterious Ways

Thinking guitar solos are just not part of modern rock sounds as much. I appreciate the cool guitar work on songs like Summer of Love and Red Flag Day just as much as a solo.

Creating a feeling, an atmosphere, is more important than a solo. (I do miss them a little though) :D

I think it showed in the fact that they were all over the listening sessions this time around. Media and fan sessions. They are proud of this and want to show it off.

Why not show off Red Flag Day as the first singlethough ??? Lol.

Ha! I hear you. I'm not so sure they made the wrong choice with Best Thing as the lead single though. While it's far from the best song on the album (and I'm sure if the band were being honest, they would agree) it may very well be the best fit for today's mainstream Hot AC radio stations, where as you know it continues to do well. I also think Get Out has a good shot at doing well on radio.

Now, American Soul (if it really is going to be a single) is a different story. While I actually like the song, if they want a song that will reach the Alternative audience, I think Blackout would have clearly been a better choice. Also, if the band thought AS was the stronger tune for the Alternative crowd, why did they release Blackout as the "preview" song of the album and give it the hype of being the record store day single?

I think there are many potential singles on this album. Perhaps we could end up with as many as five. Blackout, Red Flag Day, and Love is Bigger could all be strong singles. Possibly even Summer of Love as well.

After a 4th listening,"Lights of home" would be my first choice to open the show.

Music finally fits the album name

After first few listens this is a really solid effort by the boys, like they finally just let their hair down. Reviews are going to be all over the place because the album is so.. different...honestly, I can't think of anything out there like it. But, to me, that's a good thing.

btw, ABC just played a few seconds of American Soul as bumper music during its college football game tonight.

This new rip is better quality, right?

And yes, if anyone cares, have broken my promise to myself not to listen more than twice and am currently on my fourth listen.... but I need three days' break before the HQ Rip.

Why should we have all these rules though, Joe?

Sounds better to me, but the use of the higher quality versions of the songs that have already been released is jarring. It almost would have been better to keep the lower quality consistent throughout. That probably sounds dumb. Either way, it gives a nice sense of the songs...which I think are great, but not a clear sense of the album as a whole.

So with Songs of Innocence we had a situation where people got pissed off because everyone had been given the album. And now with Songs of Experience we have the situation where one guy is pissed off that he's the only one who can't have it by himself.

Pretty silly isn't it. I've always wondered how much U2's give away of SOI affected how people thought of the album.

Larry is the unsung hero of this album

I agree. I feel like this is a title bestowed on Adam a lot, and as an Adam fan I certainly have no qualms with that, but I feel like Larry's the MVP here. He's packing a lots of intricacies within individual parts and seems to doing a lot these days to make each measure slightly different than the last. I wasn't crazy about how the drums were mixed on the singles, but he definitely shines on this album.

That said, from the small sample size that I’m around, they’ve been doing a good job of salvaging the damage from 2014 over this year among that age bracket. Both from JT and from SOE so far.

Unlike No Line, the middle section of SOE is stellar.

Summer of Love actually has a Man and a Woman vibe to it but so much better. Summer of Love is one of my favorites so far.

And Love is All We Have Left is the perfect opener.

I know it’s shiny new toy syndrome but SOE has enormous potential to be a late period classic.

To me Summer of Love has some Wild Honey and Fast Cars . I'm going to call it
"The Summer of Wild Fast Honey Cars of Love."

So I just listened to lights the “free yourself” part and than the madona clip and yes they sound nothing alike hahaha. I was crazy after all! I don’t know why when I heard that part of lights last night it really reminded me of another song ( no not the obvious iris) but something else and immediately I remembered madonna’s hey you song. But I was way off. Maybe it’s another song I am thinking of.

Last edited:
Am I confused or does Landlady start with the same guitar sound that begins Raised by Wolves?

Either way I like the song much more than I expected based on early reviews. Beautiful and heartfelt singing by Bono.

Since it was mentioned above, I have noticed a pretty immediate shift in my thinking re: U2 and their career going forward.

Based on the SOE singles, I was really hoping this was the last try for a 'big record.' I hoped for a kind of SOE->SOA ride off into the sunset plan.

I still wouldn't mind if that were the case. I still like the idea of U2 going out on their own terms, with a planned build up to a final record.

But I will say that the full SOE has completely convinced me that they can still surprise me. Not that we're necessarily going to get a TJT or AB from a 60 year old rock band, but that we still might get surprising and damn good records from these guys in the years to come.

I guess I just no longer have any confidence in my own judgment of how much the band U2 does or doesn't have left in the tank. They're a surprising bunch of old bastards.

If they released Red Flag Day as the first single instead of The Best Thing this forum would have freaked with excitement- it’s that good.

I don’t care much about single releases but, yes, they clearly have a wealth of material here to generate interest in this album for months to come.

If they had released Red Flag Day instead of Blackout, people would be talking about how great Blackout is, sis. :)

Listening to red flag day now. It’s grown on me. I am enjoying this one a lot. In fact that whole section starting with summer of love is pretty great! I hope my feelings remain the same years from now.

Last edited:
hope they don't just play 2 songs from the 4 singles on SNL next week. would be really cool to see Red Flag Day, Lights of Home, or Love is Bigger.

Red Flag Day is the modern day Sunday Bloody Sunday... I know it’s crazy to say but I hear the spirit of that song in it notwithstanding lyrical content.

I absolutely love this album and surprised at the hold it has on me at this early stage.

My uncle is dying. I'm still mourning my dad, he died in August. I caused a car crash tonight and my car is literally a wreck.
I needed this leak tonight. I needed this band tonight. My Band. MY BAND.
Favorite song so far: Get Out Of Your Own Way.

My thoughts are with you. I’m sorry for your loss and how life can hit you over and over sometimes.

I just found out tonight that I am probably getting divorced. So this album, with its experience laden lyrics, may be a touchstone for me for the rest of my life.

Thank you all for being here. It’s helped me a lot these last few months.

My thoughts are with you. I’m sorry for your loss and how life can hit you over and over sometimes.

I just found out tonight that I am probably getting divorced. So this album, with its experience laden lyrics, may be a touchstone for me for the rest of my life.

Thank you all for being here. It’s helped me a lot these last few months.

Aww I am so sorry to hear this. :( stay strong!:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom