SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So really when we think of it the excitement of having an album release date has now vanished hasn't it?, if they are prepared to delay announcing it then something must be bugging them so it's not going to stop them delaying the actual release, fucking madness

Agreed. We shall see how the final version sounds, but there's gonna be outrage if it's sounds like Every Breaking Wave - especially after premiering a song like The Blackout.

Don't fuck this up, U2...please.

Already stared fucking up hasn't it by delaying the announcement of the album, despite getting people's hopes up that it was finally happening.

Seriously do you think it is possible that the actual album could be delayed?, and your convinced they have delayed the announcement? What is it with this band

dude you probably should chill out.

they could still very well release album details next week.

they are giving us the lead single to the album next week. it is being advertised as the lead single to the next album.

...what is the problem?

dude you probably should chill out.

they could still very well release album details next week.

they are giving us the lead single to the album next week. it is being advertised as the lead single to the next album.

...what is the problem?

Them deciding to delay the album until next year? That's a big worry imo

wh... where are you even getting that from? they're going to release a lead single and not release the album until 5 months later?

because a small detail was removed/edited from the facebook page? they're probably haggling over the track order.

if they want a December 1 release to tie into World AIDS Day, that's a one-shot thing. They wanted to promote World AIDS Day in 2014 but Bono got hurt and we ended up with the worst U2 Karaoke with Chris Martin.

you guys are all freaking out. can't you just be happy that you got The Blackout and now you're getting THE FIRST SINGLE from the NEW ALBUM next week? those details haven't changed...

because a small detail was removed/edited from the facebook page? they're probably haggling over the track order.

if they want a December 1 release to tie into World AIDS Day, that's a one-shot thing. They wanted to promote World AIDS Day in 2014 but Bono got hurt and we ended up with the worst U2 Karaoke with Chris Martin.

you guys are all freaking out. can't you just be happy that you got The Blackout and now you're getting THE FIRST SINGLE from the NEW ALBUM next week? those details haven't changed...

My fingers are very crossed mate

Blackout reminds me of the Fly

Back in the early 90's, U2 re-introduced themselves to the world by releasing The Fly as the first song from AB--a tough, ultra-cool, grinding song that let everyone know that they had successfully "chopped down the Joshua Tree." U2 knew this song was not going to be a hit single, that the real radio player would be Mysterious Ways. But I think they wanted their first exposure to be something that grabbed everyone's attention, good or bad. I think they wanted the reaction to be "wow, THAT'S U2?"

That's what Blackout reminds me of. Not in its sound, but in its strategy. Hey, look at us playing an Amsterdam club with cool sunglasses, edgy video and Euro-hipster fans.

Best Thing will follow quickly on its heels. And I will say now that if that swirling, dance club, ultra- infectious "be bop ee doh" vocal is not on the single or album version of Best Thing--in other words, if that was just Kygo's take on it--I'm going to be severely depressed.

I don't think the edit to the FB post means anything but if it does, they are more likely to be moving the album date UP, not back. They're releasing the lead single next week. December 1 was far away to begin with.

tenor.gif

I don't think the edit to the FB post means anything but if it does, they are more likely to be moving the album date UP, not back. They're releasing the lead single next week. December 1 was far away to begin with.

Fair point but it seems like they want the album out on world aids day, so maybe they will release a second single? And album info with that?

Seriously do you think it is possible that the actual album could be delayed?, and your convinced they have delayed the announcement? What is it with this band

Chill the fuck out.

It could be a dozen different reasons. It COULD be they were surprised by the response and wanted to make the album news a bigger deal now rather than just it coinciding with the single.

Agreed. We shall see how the final version sounds, but there's gonna be outrage if it's sounds like Every Breaking Wave - especially after premiering a song like The Blackout.

Don't fuck this up, U2...please.

The hate for EBW around here is absolutely delusional to me. Sorry, but the album version is about 10,000 times better than the meandering mess they were playing live up to that point. Love the song, it actually stands with the U2 classics in my mind.

The hate for EBW around here is absolutely delusional to me. Sorry, but the album version is about 10,000 times better than the meandering mess they were playing live up to that point. Love the song, it actually stands with the U2 classics in my mind.

EBW is a cheap copy of WOWY with over-cooked vocals (per most of SOI).

Agreed. U2 had a golden opportunity with that tune and they just really dropped the ball. They could've released 2 versions, regular and Adele. The regular version would've been able to compete on the alt rock type charts, and the Adele version would've attacked the adult contemporary markets. It could've been at least a minor hit, which is the best that 50-something U2 can hope for.

If only they had just released it normally!

Last edited:
Well the thread is now living up to its title. LOL.

There's no worry. They gave us the blackout, they are still releasing TBT on Wednesday. They aren't going to abandon an entire album. Especially for the fact the Blackout seemed to be met quite positively.

So my take. Album release could actually be moved up! (although doubtful. I think they chose Dec. 1 because all the huge releases for fall will have already happened, and they have better shot at a number 1 album late in the cycle)
Maybe they decided to add or swap out another tune after getting good feedback from Blackout, before releasing a tracklisting.

Also, the last minute remix of TBT could be due to the positive Blackout response. People seemed to like the more loose raw vibe of it. Maybe they went back to put more of those elements into TBT, so it doesn't sound too shiny and polished...

So now I'm getting super greedy and I'm hoping that we hear about E+I tour dates next week too.

So now I'm getting super greedy and I'm hoping that we hear about E+I tour dates next week too.
Logically, they would not announce any E+I dates until after JT30 finishes, so Nov-Dec, to start in April-May.
But then there's that rumour about Australia I posted earlier so who the hell knows?

I've done something different with this release.

Rather than downloading it and playing it over and over and over again to see if I really like it, or if it grows on me, I just listened a few times right away then waited a couple days to see if I really wanted to hear it again.

I haven't. My head tells me "It's new U2 you fool! You have to listen! You love U2"!

But really, I don't have any great desire to go back to it. Doesn't make it a bad song, I'm just a little like, meh, whatever. Maybe I'll feel differently when if the album comes out.

I know what you mean. Another reason I don't want to listen too much is that it negatively impacts the enjoyment of the album when a handful of songs are already totally played out in your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom