SOE 25 - The Freakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3.1M Facebook views and 36K shares. Anyone know how this compares to other artist releasing / previewing songs this way?

Ok, i can't seem to find any relatable FB video stream info. So to put it in some perspective, Taylor Swift, who gets billions of views on Youtube - Broke the record on Spotify for the most streams in 24 hours. That was 8 million.

So U2 getting a little over 2.5 on Facebook in 24 hours seems pretty respectable.

Update - They are closing in on 4.2 million views in 46 hours. So nearly 4.5 million in 48 hours. Again, not too shabby...

I've listened to the Blackout a few more times and while I still don't think it's a great song it's impossible for me to really judge how much I like it because the crowd noise is so fucking loud and annoying! The structure of it is working more for me now, and that was one of my main complaints about it.

I'm not sure about them doing a last minute mix of the Best Thing though - it's kinda fucked that they spend years on something and then make a mix at the last minute. That's how substandard stuff gets through too - the excitement of finishing something new can obscure the maker to its faults.

Anyway, I'm excited for this album though my expectations aren't high. I like U2 so much that even stuff that's 5/10 on their scale is still very enjoyable. I might spin NLOTH today.

The hate for EBW around here is absolutely delusional to me. Sorry, but the album version is about 10,000 times better than the meandering mess they were playing live up to that point. Love the song, it actually stands with the U2 classics in my mind.
Don't get me wrong, I love the song as well (and infinitely prefer the studio version to the live snoozefest), but an overproduced YTBTAM will be a turn off for some of the people who were drawn to The Blackout because "it doesn't sound like the Top 40 stuff they put on the last album", or something along those lines. I'll take any version of the upcoming single, but right now they're on a roll - the reactions to The Blackout are mostly positive. You would think they'd want to stay on that path.

So how do we know for certain that they are delaying the album announcement?

Even if they delay an announcement, why does that mean the album will be delayed and not an alteration in tracklisting, second single, etc.?

Why am I even being drawn into this?

Because........ Interference

The hate for EBW around here is absolutely delusional to me. Sorry, but the album version is about 10,000 times better than the meandering mess they were playing live up to that point. Love the song, it actually stands with the U2 classics in my mind.
This

EDIT: Don't know about the classic bit. It very well could be. But its miles better than the thing they were playing that, if it were on the album, people would be blasting them for releasing a half-done song. That version never seemed complete.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I love the song as well (and infinitely prefer the studio version to the live snoozefest), but an overproduced YTBTAM will be a turn off for some of the people who were drawn to The Blackout because "it doesn't sound like the Top 40 stuff they put on the last album", or something along those lines. I'll take any version of the upcoming single, but right now they're on a roll - the reactions to The Blackout are mostly positive. You would think they'd want to stay on that path.

I hear ya. But i think there are two things going on here, and The Blackout points that out.

They want to put out a song that will have a chance to be on Alt radio, Adult Alt, and Adult Contemporary stations. This of course to bring in the casual U2 and general music fan. But they also want to signal to the die hards that they have non-poppy material. Hence the Blackout, and playing Little Things live.

I think we have to get over this weird view that U2 has become this polished corporate machine putting out bland music.
We have to only look at SOI to see that we may get a SFS and polished up EBW, but we also get a lot more that are very different from those.
RBW, SLABT, The Troubles, Iris, Cedarwood Rd., Reach, etc...
Even the poppy California, was to me - a really well done pop song with some lyrical depth.

I think an album is coming this year

I am not sure the mix of the album as of today, is the one we will get when it's released.

That's what concerns me, Edge tinkering and tinkering. NEED MORE MUTED STRINGS!!!!!!

I am not sure the mix of the album as of today, is the one we will get when it's released.

That's what concerns me, Edge tinkering and tinkering. NEED MORE MUTED STRINGS!!!!!!

this is the common sense stance.

This fish woman speaks in my language. :up::up::up::up:

That's what worrying me as well. He's probably spent the last month messing around with the mixes. :tsk:

I just love that The Blackout sounds like the four of them playing as a band. For once it doesn't sound like a studio chop job of the best takes clipped together. I hope this late stage tinkering doesn't strip away that 'raw' sound (as we suspect it has in the past).

They seem to be clocking around 15,000 views of The Blackout every 10 minutes.

This is 47 hours in, and still getting attention. Pretty smart to do a FB live thing. especially considering they had to keep the Blackout contained to one medium so they wouldn't end up competing with TBT a week later. Tricky, but i believe successful.

This

EDIT: Don't know about the classic bit. It very well could be. But its miles better than the thing they were playing that, if it were on the album, people would be blasting them for releasing a half-done song. That version never seemed complete.

SOI didn't get more attention also because the band came with that stupid idea about accoustic versions. There are just a few U2 songs sounding cool on accoustic versions and those from SOI are just not "designed" for that - never understood why Bono was always telling the opposite.

Every Breaking Wave is a decent song that was destroyed live.

I just love that The Blackout sounds like the four of them playing as a band. For once it doesn't sound like a studio chop job of the best takes clipped together. I hope this late stage tinkering doesn't strip away that 'raw' sound (as we suspect it has in the past).

agreed :up:

To be fair... it IS just the four of them playing as a band.

We haven't heard the proper studio version yet.

a little late to the party, but why do people think the album is delayed?

few tidbits..
- they've removed reference to announcing the album from the social media posts
- a [now deleted] instagram post from an audio engineer stated that they band rejigged Best Thing, last week

nothing major, but given history, there's a certain feeling of unease

So am I hearing things or do I hear Adam slap the bass in the beginning of blackout...it's clear. When's the last time he's done that on a track? War?

few tidbits..
- they've removed reference to announcing the album from the social media posts
- a [now deleted] instagram post from an audio engineer stated that they band rejigged Best Thing, last week

nothing major, but given history, there's a certain feeling of unease

But to be fair the best thing is still being released/aired/streamed on Wednesday isn't it?

a little late to the party, but why do people think the album is delayed?

because a social media post was modified to go from announcing all album details next week to *only* the lead single.

it's baffling. the album is coming this year if the lead single is out Sept. 6 and another track (Blackout) was released in August, and another song (Little Things) was played on tour throughout the summer.

it's basically paranoia over absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom