SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one here who seriously thinks this album is never going to be released? I would be shocked if it comes out this year. They seem to backpedal more and more every time they speak.
I would not be surprised if SOI is their last album. Their comments are just so baffling and make you scratch your head as to what in the heck they're thinking.

Am I the only one here who seriously thinks this album is never going to be released? I would be shocked if it comes out this year. They seem to backpedal more and more every time they speak.
I would not be surprised if SOI is their last album. Their comments are just so baffling and make you scratch your head as to what in the heck they're thinking.

If you read anyone else's posts, you would know that you are in the 98% of people who think that about SOE. These are not alternative facts.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So the tour ends August 1st, probably followed by sitting around France for a month for vacation. Then what? Get back to work in September? That's not enough time to finish anything to have it out by the end of the year. They've got 8 months to think about all the changes they'd like to make before then.

I firmly believe that it won't come out until early 2018, best case scenario. Not being negative, just realistic. I WANT the album to be released this year. I want it THIS WEEK! But I've been a fan long enough to know how things work. Were this Joshua Tree tour not happening, I'd believe they will put it out this year.

Remember, Larry cited the Super Bowl as a reason for delaying NLOTH. (I know he probably meant the 2006 Music Rising thing they did at the Super Bowl following hurricane Katrina, but even still).

That wasn't the Super Bowl. The only time U2 performed at a Super Bowl was in 2002.

The songs will come out in some form at some point. But SOE and the E in the I&E tour as we thought we knew it are dead in my view.

It will be all too easy to extend the JT tour into the non EU and US markets, which coincidentally would have likely been stadium markets even for the resumed I&E tour, and then call that it for now.

Tweaking, a few nips and tucks, polishing knobs and all that...

I think the one sliver of hope here is that maybe, the talk of polishing or using the JT tour to influence SoE is mainly being said to justify an album that's apparently in the bag but not being released until the end of the year.

As in, maybe SoE needs no polishing, but they're saying it does to justify holding it off to celebrate an old album.

Even if this is true, I could imagine there's still a 50% chance of them pushing SoE into 2018, but still, there's some hope...

It would make sense to use the attention the Joshua Tree tour will get as a launch pad to release SoE before the Christmas holidays.

I think the one sliver of hope here is that maybe, the talk of polishing or using the JT tour to influence SoE is mainly being said to justify an album that's apparently in the bag but not being released until the end of the year.

As in, maybe SoE needs no polishing, but they're saying it does to justify holding it off to celebrate an old album.

:up: I think this is largely the case. Maybe they're open to dropping a song in favour of something else if inspiration suddenly hits in 2017, but they're not depending on that

It would make sense to use the attention the Joshua Tree tour will get as a launch pad to release SoE before the Christmas holidays.

as shitty as this news was to fans anxious for SOE, you're right. This JT tour only helps the eventual release of SOE.

That wasn't the Super Bowl. The only time U2 performed at a Super Bowl was in 2002.

I know that as well as you. But Larry actually cited the super bowl as a reason for NLOTH's delay, though.

He was obviously referring to the other thing, and grasping at straws even at that.

It would, as much sense as debuting a song over the Super Bowl to launching a new album.

This is a band that is scared to death about not mattering to the public anymore. While Adam isn't the hyperbole that is Bono about HITS!!!, he at least admitted it's still their goal and admitted it'll be very difficult at their age. EBW had a huge chorus, lovely song and maybe 10-15 years ago this song gets played on top 40. It isn't going to happen now, no matter how good the song is.

I do agree that this tour is a way for the band to build back their goodwill towards the public after SOI. I just don't believe they can actually finish off these songs

I know that as well as you. But Larry actually cited the super bowl as a reason for NLOTH's delay, though.

He was obviously referring to the other thing, and grasping at straws even at that.

My apologies, I misunderstood.

That's interesting that Larry said that... do you know what article or interview it's from?

i was more concerned from that article that they will weasel out of playing all of Joshua Tree than not releasing the album. I don't think its backpedaling, but more just trying to find a way to justify the Joshua Tree tour, and to be able to wait to 4th quarter to release the album.

I think SOE gets released this year in November, and they end up not playing at least 2 songs from the Joshua Tree live.

That video is so awkward. Edge is trying to be as diplomatic as possible about SOA, and Larry is visibly PISSED OFF.

I can see them starting the tour with all the songs from TJT. Then realizing that nobody in the audience knows "trip through your wires", or that "red hill mining town" is too midtempo to find a place in the show (both Edge and Adam have now mentioned this), or maybe "one tree hill" belongs to the people of New Zealand and doesn't feel right anywhere else. Who knows? Maybe they'll drop RTSS in favor of Miss Sarajevo again? Haha

I can see them not sticking to playing the entire album. Bruce eventually stopped playing the entire "River" album last year.

Last edited:
The way I see it, if U2 wants to play The Joshua Tree in sequence but still save the big 3 for the climax of the show, they do this:

-Play assorted songs - old hits, B-sides, some material related to The Joshua Tree (e.g. "Heartland", "Silver and Gold", "Desire")
-Play songs 4-11 from The Joshua Tree ("Bullet the Blue Sky" through "Mothers of the Disappeared")
-Leave stage for encore
-Play songs 1-3 from The Joshua Tree ("Where the Streets Have No Name" through "With or Without You")
-Optional "40" to close

That way, U2 can still argue that they played The Joshua Tree in sequence, even though they didn't really.

After reading the Adam interview I'm more confused....

If anything I think major setlist decisions go thru Bono, Edge, & Larry. Adam seems part of the process but like this interview he doesn't know too much on what U2 wants to do yet.

I think they'll play all 11 songs from the JT. That is what the promo's have advertised (very clearly). And its really 4 rarities from the album.

-Streets
-Found
-WOWY
-Bullet
-RTSS
-God's Country
-One Tree Hill

Are pretty known songs & fit in any U2 setlist.

Now for SOE.....I have no idea. Maybe they'll take the recording studio back on the road this tour and finish the thing up. But I would think its looking like 2018

I can see them starting the tour with all the songs from TJT. Then realizing that nobody in the audience knows "trip through your wires", or that "red hill mining town" is too midtempo to find a place in the show (both Edge and Adam have now mentioned this), or maybe "one tree hill" belongs to the people of New Zealand and doesn't feel right anywhere else. Who knows? Maybe they'll drop RTSS in favor of Miss Sarajevo again? Haha

I can see them not sticking to playing the entire album. Bruce eventually stopped playing the entire "River" album last year.

first, people know the whole album. this album was massive. the songs are known, even the non singles.

springsteen stopped playing The River when he transitioned to stadiums, because he felt playing a double album in full to a stadium crowd was pushing it. he still played large portions of the album through the stadium leg.

first, people know the whole album. this album was massive. the songs are known, even the non singles.

springsteen stopped playing The River when he transitioned to stadiums, because he felt playing a double album in full to a stadium crowd was pushing it. he still played large portions of the album through the stadium leg.

did you make it to any of The River shows where he played the full thing? How did the lesser known songs go over? assuming most attending would be die hards, but I'm sure there were casual fans there too

did you make it to any of The River shows where he played the full thing? How did the lesser known songs go over? assuming most attending would be die hards, but I'm sure there were casual fans there too
I didn't... Only made it to the stadium show (which was friggin epic, btw... 4 hours in length, his longest NA show ever... until he broke his own record a week later!)

I did see him do Born To Run from top to bottom, in a stadium setting even. Crowd was into every minute of it... It's such a well known album that even the casual fan knows every song; much like The Joshua Tree.

The River was a unique case in that it was a double album... so you're not going to get the same reaction to the lesser known tracks on a double album that you do on a regular LP. That's why he made the decision to stop doing every song once he hit stadiums.

If U2 were to play War in full, or Boy, yea... you'd lose a lot of casuals. If you're going to a Joshua Tree show, ya probably know every song.

I saw the full River show in an arena. I took many bathroom breaks. (Big fan, but not one of my favorite albums. Still an amazing show.)

My thinking in them not playing the whole thing is more about sequencing than crowd not knowing certain songs. U2 has always had such clear sections and transitions in their live set, and think they are going to have a very hard time coming to grips with playing the album straight through. The Edge interview in RS, he was clearly wrestling with how to make the whole album work with how they do things. Streets alone is throwing a wrench in plans of doing it in sequence.

I still think they land on not doing it in order, and then inevitably some of the tracks they are having trouble making work will get dropped.

If they play Exit, RHMT, One Tree Hill, and In God's Country I don't care if they don't play the whole thing, and would actually prefer them not play it in sequence.

Somebody please tell the band about the reverse order idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom