SOE 18: New Tour, New Despair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always considered "Winter" to be part of NLOTH. On my custom NLOTH track listing, I've put it at #11 between "Breathe" and "Cedars". Works well there. Eno is all over this track, and I love what's going on musically. I do not acknowledge the Brothers version.

Absolutely. That and "Smile" are two of my favorite latter day non-album tracks that belonged on an official release.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

a great interview with Adam on TJT tour and SOE

Do you think Songs of Experience will be out next year? The end of this year?
We all very much feel like it needs to be the end of this year. It's not on any schedule anywhere, anything like that. We're going to get back to that later this year and polish it off and finish it off a bit more. But we think we're there with it. It's not like the switch to do these Joshua Tree shows was because we needed a lot of time. It was just because it's pretty much in the bag. We can still work on it throughout this year, all the little nips and tucks that we want to do. It'll be a pleasure to get out there and play these Joshua Tree songs. In some ways, the experience of playing those Joshua Tree shows and those songs this summer, inevitably, couldn't help [but] have some impact on what that record ultimately becomes when we finish work on it.

We all very much feel like it needs to be the end of this year. It's not on any schedule anywhere, anything like that. We're going to get back to that later this year and polish it off and finish it off a bit more. But we think we're there with it. It's not like the switch to do these Joshua Tree shows was because we needed a lot of time. It was just because it's pretty much in the bag. We can still work on it throughout this year, all the little nips and tucks that we want to do. It'll be a pleasure to get out there and play these Joshua Tree songs. In some ways, the experience of playing those Joshua Tree shows and those songs this summer, inevitably, couldn't help [but] have some impact on what that record ultimately becomes when we finish work on it.
:up::up::up:

"We think we're there with it. It's not like the switch to do these Joshua Tree shows was because we needed a lot of time. It was just because it's pretty much in the bag."

:up::up::up:

If it's in the bag, then release it. Simple. Quit second guessing and bringing other ears in.

What's to stop them from getting to September and going, nah....

This statement feels like it is full of both facts and alternative facts.

Do you think if you put out "With or Without You" as a single today, it would be a big hit, or has radio changed so much it wouldn't work?

"I think you could put it out. I think you'd have to Melodyne the vocal. I think you'd have to squeeze and program the rhythm tracks. Eventually you'd get something that sounds familiar on the radio and it would research well, and you might get a bit of traction and it might be a hit. But I think if you put it out just as it is, it would get lost in the noise and bubble of that particular sound that's popular at the moment."

Adam's comments to Rolling Stone....seems to have put a lot of thought in to a possibility of re- releasing WOWY or RHMT as a single in 2017. Thoughts?

here's hoping that "nips and tucks" don't turn out to be second guessing, major overhauls, over producing, and pointless synthesizers added.

Translation......."maybe,we'll see".

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

So the tour ends August 1st, probably followed by sitting around France for a month for vacation. Then what? Get back to work in September? That's not enough time to finish anything to have it out by the end of the year. They've got 8 months to think about all the changes they'd like to make before then.

I firmly believe that it won't come out until early 2018, best case scenario. Not being negative, just realistic. I WANT the album to be released this year. I want it THIS WEEK! But I've been a fan long enough to know how things work. Were this Joshua Tree tour not happening, I'd believe they will put it out this year.

Remember, Larry cited the Super Bowl as a reason for delaying NLOTH. (I know he probably meant the 2006 Music Rising thing they did at the Super Bowl following hurricane Katrina, but even still).

Last edited:
"We're going to get back to that later this year and polish it off and finish it off a bit more."

as6lt05sluhpcizqgkbl_zpsuafabdpq.gif

here's hoping that "nips and tucks" don't turn out to be second guessing, major overhauls, over producing, and pointless synthesizers added.

They're well into 3rd and 4th guesses by now.

Yeah I can see exactly how this may turn out.

I'm sure it is 'in the bag', i'm sure the plan right now is to get it out by the end of the year.

But if there's even a little bit of work left to do, some 'polishing', or - more significantly - they want to let the experience of the upcoming Joshua Tree have a tangible impact on the record, I seriously cannot see how the hell they'll do that between august and september/october (presumably when a lead single would need to be out preceding a november-ish album).

I'm leaning 75% towards them not having enough time, and/or hitting one of those rich songwriting veins they're so fond of, and pushing SoE back to 2018.

I hope they prove me wrong!

At this point in time, it's never coming out.

In some ways, the experience of playing those Joshua Tree shows and those songs this summer, inevitably, couldn't help [but] have some impact on what that record ultimately becomes when we finish work on it.

The Joshua Tree had LOTS OF HITS so this album will too! Huge hits! The biggest!

Been off here for a bit due to ticket buying ;) I just read the last couple of pages and am surprised to see no mention of the rumor regarding Australia / NZ end of 2017. Add the RS interview and I'm thinking they could potentially do a show that mixes JT and SOE in Australia. Kind of a transition between tours. Assuming SOE is out by then which I tend to believe / hope. Plus it's a nice opportunity to play stadium gigs over there and then continue with arena shows for the i+e tour. Could make sense.

So SOE I believe was supposed to be a response to the fame that came from JT...I believe?? What would have been great is to open with the entire JT set and then do a stage change to Experience. I'm in the doubter's corner now and my gut says we will not see SOE for a long long time.

Bono said they might play SOE songs and Adam now says he really wants to so who knows. Maybe they really like a few new songs that they really want to unveil. Though I am skeptical because I much prefer the every breaking wave version they played during 360. They may decide the crowd didn't respond and then scrap the whole thing.

I love how, when the interviewer mentioned nostalgia, Adam let out an "agonised groan"!

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Just like we let out an "agonized groan" when he gives us a status "update" on the new album.

He can say whatever he wants about how the Joshua Tree is relevant to our times, or whatever. We all know it's a nostalgia driven cash grab. The question is; was the album delayed so they could do the Joshua Tree Tour and get the cash grab? To capitalize on the anniversary, and the fact that 80's nostalgia is all the rage right now. OR, was the album/tour delayed yet again, and LiveNation put their foot down and said "There's gonna be a FUCKING TOUR one way or another!!! WE NEED OUR $$$$$!!!!"

I don't really care if it is a cash grab, whatever. Get your money, I always say. If I had that ace in the hole, I'd probably play it too. Why not? But what concerns me is that the North American concert market will be willing to support another U2 arena tour next year. I know what you're thinking; YOU ENTITLED AMERICAN PRICK! ALWAYS WANTING MORE SHOWS! Not at all. I would be a little bit appalled if they return to the US before they hit Australia/NZ, South America, maybe even a little Asian tour. But we all know that a North American leg is the backbone of any tour, along with Europe, in terms of dollars made. My fear is that they'll bring this Joshua Tree Tour to Australia/NZ and South America later this year/early next year, and then postpone SOE until the END of 2018, and then do the Innocence + Experience 2.0 Tour in 2019. But whatever, I guess, I can't complain too much, as I will be attending a show this summer.

Last edited:
I guess this period reminds me of the late 90s up until 2000 when they released the first best of... revisited their past, then dropped ATYCLB. I doubt, though, this will lead to an album like that again that will be as successful.

This seems like a pretty big tour to just turn around and tour again with a new album.

Unless they start the SOE tour down under or somewhere new to give USA/Europe time to reset

My fear is that they'll bring this Joshua Tree Tour to Australia/NZ and South America later this year/early next year, and then postpone SOE until the END of 2018, and then do the Innocence + Experience 2.0 Tour in 2019.

There is at least a 50% chance of this happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom