SOE 15: Crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But a little off topic here. I just listened to invisible after a bit and, while I loved SOI and still revisit it (which is why potential delays don't bother me much), I can't help but wonder how great some songs may have sounded had they just stuck with Dangermouse.

Or maybe the could've sounded worse? It's really impossible to know unless we ever hear what these versions sound like. Same for NLOTH or anything else where this is often brought up. The questions are intriguing, but AB might be the only album where we have a solid comparison for early versions vs. the final product. And even then, I'm always prefering the later ones. For other situations, sure, maybe the clip of Magnificent being created sounded different and cool, but what did it sound like with lyrics over it? Was there even a 'completed' version of that or whatever?

Speculation is why we're here of course (haha), but for all the times we think something might be better, I'd say there's also a good chance of it being the other way around too.

7drHiqr.gif

probably nothing, but I just heard Gareth O'Callaghan on 4fm say that he heard from a good source the next u2 album could be out next week or any week now...

again, take that with A LOT of grains of salt.

Using NLOTH as reference (released in the spring, same timeframe Adam gave recently for SoE), I see it was officially announced around Dec 19, 2008, for a March 2 release.

So if a similar timeframe happens for SoE, we could in theory get an announcement in mid-late December, or maybe January.

So things could (potentially) get interesting in about a month and a half.

(... or we could just get a quote from a band member in march that they're aiming for a summer release. Could go either way, of course.)

When asked why the album wouldn't be out until 2017 instead of 2016, Adam only said "there are no certainties in life". He didn't confirm nor deny anything. Hmmmm

I'm still firmly in the early 2017 camp, especially since the Columbus show leaked.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Why is Steve on a media blackout? Why do u2 have to be so secretive? Why can't they just update fans regularly on the progress of the album? We are like shareholders in their business... WE NEED ANSWERS!

Why is Steve on a media blackout? Why do u2 have to be so secretive? Why can't they just update fans regularly on the progress of the album? We are like shareholders in their business... WE NEED ANSWERS!

Because they want to remove the element of expectation and pressure that comes with everyone knowing the supposed release date. Much like when you don't want your family to know you're dating a nice girl until you really are sure she actually is a nice girl...

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Does the blackout necessarily mean anything? I mean, U2 have been pretty secretive about everything post-NLOTH, so it's likely just standard procedure.

Then again, Lillywhite said at a public talk that he had a new u2 single on his phone, and said on a radio show that he was working on something big (albeit not confirming it was with u2), so maybe if he's more silent now, things have kicked up a gear.

Does the blackout necessarily mean anything? I mean, U2 have been pretty secretive about everything post-NLOTH, so it's likely just standard procedure.

Then again, Lillywhite said at a public talk that he had a new u2 single on his phone, and said on a radio show that he was working on something big (albeit not confirming it was with u2), so maybe if he's more silent now, things have kicked up a gear.

If I remember right, he's never actually said U2? Right?

People adding the two together (radio comment and Lillywhite) are setting themselves up for major disappointment. No way they release anything his year. They took two months off before iHeart - if it could have been fixed in two months, they would have done it - they had a MASSIVE opportunity and platform to push a single through them, and bailed. If it was fixable this quickly, they would have fixed it then.

If I remember right, he's never actually said U2? Right?

Seems he did indeed mention a mix of a new U2 single on his phone, but it was from a second hand source.

Steve Lillywhite mixing new U2 single

Edit: If you mean regarding the blackout, yeah i don't think u2 has been explicitly mentioned. Though there's a good chance that's who he's working with - same place in France, Edge is around those parts too, we already know he's been mixing for them this summer etc.

Last edited:
Seems he did indeed mention a mix of a new U2 single on his phone, but it was from a second hand source.

Steve Lillywhite mixing new U2 single

Hmmm, maybe...

I thought he was being coy and said something like "legendary band" and we just made an educated guess. But it could be very possible I'm confusing this with another story.

Hmmm, maybe...

I thought he was being coy and said something like "legendary band" and we just made an educated guess. But it could be very possible I'm confusing this with another story.

Ah yeah, that happened too - it was during a radio interview, and he mentioned we could hear something "in the next week or two". The atU2 link is from a separate event/story.

From an interview backstage at Q Awards....
They are in lockdown trying to finish the album which Adam said will be out sometime next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom