SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, the most coherent, cohesive works are done with flow and dedication. Fits and starts and re-visiting it every few months with various producers leads to second-guessing and choppy, detached work. And we've seen that with them in the past. All of us patiently waited an extra year while they made No Line worse (or at least that's the majority opinion). So for me, the trust factor is gone. I don't trust their process and their confidence.

Except that I would argue that Pop is disjointed(as much as I like most of it), and SOI is the most cohesive since Zooropa.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

After letting Friday set in....I think I'm find with what happened.

U2 doesn't do these 1 and done shows at all. I know everyone wanted a new song but this wasn't a much hyped event to U2 standards. The event itself showcased that and U2 just mailed in this performance (except the opening). I told my wife (who is a U2 fan but not crazy fanatic) they didn't play anything last night and she had a 'told you so' reaction. Her reply was U2 does things big and playing a small music festival in Vegas isn't the U2 way.

If anything I'll be pretty shocked and disappointed if this album isn't finished in the next 2 months. In a way this is the 3rd attempt for U2 to make another splash & from the insiders it sounds like SOE will be epic.

Its disappointing but its only been 2 years since SOI. 2.5 years later and another tour would be mighty fine :up:

Hell, Friday night just might have been an excuse for Bono to take a shot at Trump. Media has been talking more about Bono against Trump than any kind of new music.

Last edited:
Except that I would argue that Pop is disjointed(as much as I like most of it), and SOI is the most cohesive since Zooropa.

Fair point. And it definitely doesn't automatically mean ruin. I just see a commitment issue with U2 and their new material these days. And the more they trot out the war horses, the less impactful they are.

I see SOA differently. Bono mentioning it in an interview the day NLOTH came out is no coincidence. I think it was probably in the same state of readiness as SOE was when SOI was released, but they knew it had no real 'hits' (or at least only had EBW). So they stretched the concept, and gave themselves a few years, and one more tilt at world domination. Once SOE is done, they'll drop SOA with no pressure, and return to stadiums so the tours themselves are less intense (i.e more people per show, less shows per city/year).

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I reply to posts as I fight my way through the pages. (*note to self: don't stay off interference for more than 24h...)
I think the i+e tour has been the most relaxed for the band. They had a lot of down time in between. Take the example for a city with 4 shows. They typically had 2 days off in between. Plenty of time to hang with the family, go to galleries, have a good dinner, or in Bono's case fly half way around the globe for some activism. That's part of the reason I've been convinced they'll continue indoors.

Last edited:
As for Iheart fest, the trump thing was somewhat funny, but so absurdly ridiculous and over the top- Bono has become an absolute parody of himself (again). He really has become so out of touch in so many ways.

This post absolutely nails it:

I like Bono. I agree with him on many things, but he really seems to be increasingly out of touch with how people perceive and hear him. I am starting to grow tired of him, and I genuinely like, respect and agree with him most of the time.

In respect to FYM I suppose that i posted some vile shit back in the day, and for that i certainly do have some regrets. I would like to think it was because i was younger then and did not know how to articulate my passion in a useful manner. Or perhaps i was frustrated that others could not see my point, or maybe they were able to articulate themselves much better than i.

Whatever the case may be, i am older and hopefully wiser now. I would never tell anyone how to vote or whom to vote for. It's a personal choice and everyone who has access to knowledge and information can make that decision for themselves. I guess that is what bothers me about the other night, obviously Bono is friends with the Clinton's and so he is on their side. However using that stage in the manner that he did is crossing a line in my opinion. We are not all stupid, uneducated, racist, or whatever else they'll throw at us. Some of us vote the way Bono wishes us too and some won't, but we don't need yoU 2 tell us how to fulfill our constitutional rights.

I do appreciate all of the good work Bono has done in the world. But let's be a bit realistic here, just because Bono takes a trip to Africa once a year that does not necessarily mean that Bono lives with Africans or really understands what it is like to actually live with HIV or other awful diseases. While he is doing God's work and we can all applaud him for that, he's not exactly Mother Teresa when he's at the mansion in Dublin or Nice or floating on a yacht with the Clooney's and so forth.

And likewise, while he is wandering the halls of his $100 million penthouse in NYC, he is still an Irishman in NY (and a spoiled rich one at that). That penthouse in New York doesn't make Bono an American any more than the Apollo 11 made Neil Armstrong a resident of the moon. To think Bono understands the plight of the average American is kind of funny to me.

At some point Bono will want to "work" with the next POTUS as he has with the current and previous ones to further humanitarian causes. Should that be Mrs. Clinton then i suppose all is well on that front. Should it be the other guy, well, perhaps his rant the other night wasn't a very good idea then now was it?

Last edited:
In respect to FYM I suppose that i posted some vile shit back in the day, and for that i certainly do have some regrets. I would like to think it was because i was younger then and did not know how to articulate my passion in a useful manner. Or perhaps i was frustrated that others could not see my point, or maybe they were able to articulate themselves much better than i.

Whatever the case may be, i am older and hopefully wiser now. I would never tell anyone how to vote or whom to vote for. It's a personal choice and everyone who has access to knowledge and information can make that decision for themselves. I guess that is what bothers me about the other night, obviously Bono is friends with the Clinton's and so he is on their side. However using that stage in the manner that he did is crossing a line in my opinion. We are not all stupid, uneducated, racist, or whatever else they'll throw at us. Some of us vote the way Bono wishes us too and some won't, but we don't need yoU 2 tell us how to fulfill our constitutional rights.

I do appreciate all of the good work Bono has done in the world. But let's be a bit realistic here, just because Bono takes a trip to Africa once a year that does not necessarily mean that Bono lives with Africans or really understands what it is like to actually live with HIV or other awful diseases. While he is doing God's work and we can all applaud him for that, he's not exactly Mother Teresa when he's at the mansion in Dublin or Nice or floating on a yacht with the Clooney's and so forth.

And likewise, while he is wandering the halls of his $100 million penthouse in NYC, he is still an Irishman in NY (and a spoiled rich one at that). That penthouse in New York doesn't make Bono an American any more than the Apollo 11 made Neil Armstrong a resident of the moon. To think Bono understands the plight of the average American is kind of funny to me.

At some point Bono will want to "work" with the next POTUS as he has with the current and previous ones to further humanitarian causes. Should that be Mrs. Clinton then i suppose all is well on that front. Should it be the other guy, well, perhaps his rant the other night wasn't a very good idea then now was it?

I agree with you on most points. I suspect Bono and I share very similar views on most things politically. But I generally kind of cringe when he starts talking about American politics. It's just kinda weird and jarring, and out of place.

But I think Donald Trump is a very unique candidate that will have worldwide implications if he is elected. While you and others might not be "stupid, uneducated, racist" there is no denying that Donald Trump is creating an environment where bigotry is ok to say in the open rather than being a controversial opinion people keep to themselves.

not sure if you understand how ROW perceives Trump?

I agree with you on most points. I suspect Bono and I share very similar views on most things politically. But I generally kind of cringe when he starts talking about American politics. It's just kinda weird and jarring, and out of place.

But I think Donald Trump is a very unique candidate that will have worldwide implications if he is elected. While you and others might not be "stupid, uneducated, racist" there is no denying that Donald Trump is creating an environment where bigotry is ok to say in the open rather than being a controversial opinion people keep to themselves.

Sorry if I ruffle feathers, not trying to make anyone vote for who I want to vote for but I've got two words... Fuck trump! I mean that from the heart! :) everything about him makes me sick!

Last edited:

Either candidate will have world-wide implications though, correct?

As far as this statement "there is no denying that Donald Trump is creating an environment where bigotry is ok to say in the open rather than being a controversial opinion people keep to themselves" i disagree, you have just described every message board to include this one (the proof is here in this thread).

If bigotry is defined as: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

I'll first say that anyone who votes for Trump is a fool and a racist and will be responsible for a possible extinction-level event should he be elected (I don't think he will be)

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/soe-14-the-morning-after-meltdown-220326-19.html#post8106336

Thanks Irvine. :(

Though let me add, NOT supporting HRC does not necessarily make one a TRUMP supporter. There are a lot of very conflicted people out there.

not sure if you understand how ROW perceives Trump?

I suspect you are generalizing but in the interest of keeping it real, suppose the entire rest of the world does not perceive TRUMP in a positive light. Does that imply the United States has a duty to vote based on the opinion of the rest of the world?

I suspect you are generalizing but in the interest of keeping it real, suppose the entire rest of the world does not perceive TRUMP in a positive light. Does that imply the United States has a duty to vote based on the opinion of the rest of the world?

well for instance, the only politician here in France who supports Trump is Marine Le Pen, leader of the fascist Front National party, and in the UK, Nigel Farage, another right-wing extremist, is also a fan...

looking at the bigger picture, it's a fucking global emergency

but sure, keep it to your own back yard if you like - maybe people do get the leaders they deserve...

well for instance, the only politician here in France who supports Trump is Marine Le Pen, leader of the fascist Front National party, and in the UK, Nigel Farage, another right-wing extremist, is also a fan...

looking at the bigger picture, it's a fucking global emergency

but sure, keep it to your own back yard if you like - maybe people do get the leaders they deserve...

The choices are shit, i can agree with that. I just don't see how or why someone living in country A has to listen to the advice from countries B-Z on how to vote. Yes, in this case country A is kind of the biggest player on the map, or at least one of them. However its absurd for citizens of country A to need permission of the ROW to vote for their leaders.

Isn't this kind of what many people were saying when country A invades country I because they did not like a certain ruthless dictator back in 2003? People told us to mind our own business, and we sure should have listened to them am i correct?

Looking back on the weekend, I'm a little surprised U2 didn't collaborate with anyone during their set.

My FB and Twitter timelines have lots of shared posts about the collab of Miley Cyrus & Billy Idol and Florida Feorgia Line & the Backstreet Boys. It would've been pretty cool for them to have done something super unexpected like U2 feat. Sia, Britney or even Drake. Hell even if they brought someone in to cover a different artist's song it would've been pretty buzzworthy.

The choices are shit, i can agree with that. I just don't see how or why someone living in country A has to listen to the advice from countries B-Z on how to vote. Yes, in this case country A is kind of the biggest player on the map, or at least one of them. However its absurd for citizens of country A to need permission of the ROW to vote for their leaders.

Isn't this kind of what many people were saying when country A invades country I because they did not like a certain ruthless dictator back in 2003? People told us to mind our own business, and we sure should have listened to them am i correct?

i 100% believe the US should have minded its own business back in 2003 - the shitstorm we're in now is a direct repercussion of those events

you don't need anyone's permission but one would hope you would make a responsible decision and vote with your conscience

the world is so interconnected so Trump would be EVERYONE's problem, so we're just hoping the US electorate won't fuck up

no wonder they didn't have time to focus on playing a new song - bono clearly had his mind on this weekend's big surfing competition:

Last edited:
As far as this statement "there is no denying that Donald Trump is creating an environment where bigotry is ok to say in the open rather than being a controversial opinion people keep to themselves" i disagree, you have just described every message board to include this one (the proof is here in this thread).

If bigotry is defined as: intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

You're either joking, ignorant, or just playing semantics if you don't know exactly what kind of bigotry I mean.

And there's an enormous difference between spouting hate on a U2 message board vs. spouting hate as the president of the United States of America.

Last edited:
i 100% believe the US should have minded its own business back in 2003 - the shitstorm we're in now is a direct repercussion of those events

you don't need anyone's permission but one would hope you would make a responsible decision and vote with your conscience

the world is so interconnected so Trump would be EVERYONE's problem, so we're just hoping the US electorate won't fuck up
Well said Mama! Here in Canada we are all very worried at the prospect of a trump presidency! It will not only be the USA effected but indeed the entire world! That's what happens when you are one of the most influential countries in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom