Should U2 release a ballad as the first single off the next album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After all the talk of reinventing themselves again they need to show that in the next single. If they have something as brilliant as The Fly or Numb they should do it. If they have music that can tap into the zeitgeist of today and make people relate strongly then that should be another good choice. New U2 singles need to epic and addictive.

I think I "lol'd" at the past 5+ posts alone. :lol:

Mumford seems like one of those indie bands I should like or at the very least find interesting. But I don't know if I can get past the lead singer's voice. It's not terrible, but I sort of have that "meh" factor for it and their songs too.

After all the talk of reinventing themselves again they need to show that in the next single. If they have something as brilliant as The Fly or Numb they should do it. If they have music that can tap into the zeitgeist of today and make people relate strongly then that should be another good choice. New U2 singles need to epic and addictive.

:up: If they want a radio hit and to reinvent themselves, this would be a good time for it. I've been hearing a lot of bizarre and obscure stuff on my local small-town stations, which is extremely unusual. If U2 wanted to release an experimental, off-the-wall song, they should do it now.

3) being past 50, what are the odds radio and audience outside of U2 fans caring for a new single ? NLOTH had three chances with three singles.

That's really the point. What's the purpose in choosing the single which you think is going to please the widest fanbase, when likely it's a fruitless task?

Better to try to try and wake up the people that have grown apathetic about your contrivances over the years. Your old fans. The 'new fan' well is probably pretty much dried up.

That's really the point. What's the purpose in choosing the single which you think is going to please the widest fanbase, when likely it's a fruitless task?

Better to try to try and wake up the people that have grown apathetic about your contrivances over the years. Your old fans. The 'new fan' well is probably pretty much dried up.

Well, didn't the old(er) fans respond to ATYCLB and Bomb ? The ones that perhaps did not care for Zooropa or Pop ? Despite U2's efforts, those sales cannot be explained by "new fans" alone.

Plus, if anyone, long time fans are more likely to buy the next album. The trick is to get new fans. I think they're too old at this point, but if they can suceed, more power to them.

I have an aunt who was a High School/College ager in the 80s. She was a HUGE U2 fan, and saw them on the War, UF and JT tours. In fact, the 1983 Cleveland concert they went to was the 2nd date she and her eventual husband went on! She said she thought AB was a little weird, but what really turned her off was seeing the Zoo TV tour in Cleveland. They weren't her band anymore! She tuned out through Zooropa and Pop, and subsequently got back on board with ATYCLB. I convinced her to go to the Elevation tour, and she was so happy that they "came back to their senses!" She also loved HTDAAB and Vertigo tour. She did not know NLOTH even existed for a couple years, and never even heard about the 360 tour, because they didn't come to Ohio at all! At Christmas 2011 she asked me if they're even still together!

The point of that story is that there are MANY other fans like this. They need to get to these people as well as making NEW fans. I think it can be done. They're not going to top the Billboard Hot 100 or anything. They just need to make a great record, market it the right way, and get some "CRED", whatever that means.

Listening NLOTH, the first single should've been FEZ/Being Born... what a curve ball.

Either that or MOS.

Still think it should have been MOS, at first I wasn't a HUGE fan of the song but now it could be top 20 for me.

Back
Top Bottom