Rose Bowl Show to be filmed for DVD + Webcast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't you just love Interference...... U2 does something incredible for fans and the bitching commences.
Can't we just be grateful that they are broadcasting this show for us that can't afford to travel this year to see them or not LUCKY enough to have them play in YOUR city/country whatever already? I would have loved to travel all over the U.S. following them like a groupie but I can't afford it.

Why bitch about a DVD that isn't even out yet? How do you know how the crowd will react? Geez. That's really offensive to us here in the US even if the track record is not the best. What about Red Rocks?
I think U2 film here because they have a sense of loyalty to the U.S. We had a large part of making them who they are as they have said many times, so just I'm just speculating that's part of it. But U23D was South America, they released Vertigo Milan (partial show) too, SLane... ect... so I don't get the bitching. Just sayin.

GREAT post Jeannieco!!! :up:

The only way everyone will be happy is if the band creates a dvd from each city! :hmm:

oh and let's not forget Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Julian Schnabel, Lou Reed, Jan Wenner, Michael Stipe, Patti Smith, Helena Christenson, Christina Applegate, Heather Graham, Max Weinberg, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Steve Buscemi, Sophia Coppola, Trey Anastasio, James Gandolfini, Nicole Kidman, Adrien Brody, Robert DeNiro, Jennifer Connolly and Paul Bettany, P. Diddy, Naomi Campbell, Owen Wilson, Kirsten Dunst, Sigourney Weaver, Marcia Gay Harden, John Legend, Jessica Alba, Sean Paul, Glenn Close, Piper Perabo, Michael Imperioli, Nicky Hilton and Kevin Connolly, Ralph Fiennes, Scott Speedman, Michael C. Hall, Lauren Bacall, Julianne Moore, Rupert Everett, Janice Dickinson, David Blaine, Taye Diggs, Fabian Basabe, Uma Thurman, Willie Nelson, Ty Pennington, Veronica Webb, Rosie O'Donnell, Michael Schoeffling, Trey Anastasio, Anthony Edwards, Robert Verdi

Cool...many of those folks live in my neighborhood. I would expect Adam Sandler to be there too, he's a u2 fan as well. I've seen Jeremy Piven and Sean Penn both hanging with Kid Rock ("Bob" is what he goes by locally) here recently, so I would expect those guys to probably be somewhere in the crowd.

It's going to be a great show.

Thoughts about Krueger:

I really like the direction they're going in with the director choice this time. Krueger, as can be seen especially his music video for R.E.M. and his work for Springsteen, is very conscious of the interplay between color and music—this bodes well for a tour staging that, despite it's mammoth size, is very still and atmospheric. I think Krueger is a great director to capture the subtle color differences that distinguish the songs on the 360 setlist, and I look forward to seeing the methods he employs to film Sunday Bloody Sunday/Streets/UV—songs that bleed with "mood," but pose a number of challenges when you try to shrink them down into the camera's framing (just search YouTube and see how many videos truly come close to approximating the feeling of being in the stadium during one of these songs...very few).

Unlike Hamish who had a (frustrating) tendency to cut away from the sheer power of the Vertigo/Elevation lighting/visual effects and never give them time to sink into the frame, I imagine Krueger will be drawn to the Claw and it's unique ability to set the tone for a massive audience.

I was holding out hope that the director for the 360 tour DVD would be considerably more patient than Hamish in directing style, and I'm very excited with the man they've picked! :up:

Thoughts about Krueger:

I really like the direction they're going in with the director choice this time. Krueger, as can be seen especially his music video for R.E.M. and his work for Springsteen, is very conscious of the interplay between color and music—this bodes well for a tour staging that, despite it's mammoth size, is very still and atmospheric. I think Krueger is a great director to capture the subtle color differences that distinguish the songs on the 360 setlist, and I look forward to seeing the methods he employs to film Sunday Bloody Sunday/Streets/UV—songs that bleed with "mood," but pose a number of challenges when you try to shrink them down into the camera's framing (just search YouTube and see how many videos truly come close to approximating the feeling of being in the stadium during one of these songs...very few).

Unlike Hamish who had a (frustrating) tendency to cut away from the sheer power of the Vertigo/Elevation lighting/visual effects and never give them time to sink into the frame, I imagine Krueger will be drawn to the Claw and it's unique ability to set the tone for a massive audience.

I was holding out hope that the director for the 360 tour DVD would be considerably more patient than Hamish in directing style, and I'm very excited with the man they've picked! :up:

Well said.. :up:

btw.. I see ur a JHU student B'more.. I work for JHU Applied Physics Lab in Laurel, MD.

Why bitch about a DVD that isn't even out yet? How do you know how the crowd will react? Geez. That's really offensive to us here in the US even if the track record is not the best. What about Red Rocks?
I think U2 film here because they have a sense of loyalty to the U.S. We had a large part of making them who they are as they have said many times, so just I'm just speculating that's part of it. But U23D was South America, they released Vertigo Milan (partial show) too, SLane... ect... so I don't get the bitching. Just sayin.

Yeah, I'm not allowed to bitch because u2 can do no wrong. :happy:

Sorry but I've a general feeling how the crowd reacts due to older dvds and reports from people from BOTH THE US AND the rest of the world that people in the US are just less energetic at concerts than the rest of the world are. So that's where I base my assumptions on.

And loyalty? US made U2 who they were? They were big in Europe WAY before they were big in the US, as far as I'm aware.

U23D was a great movie, the South American crowd is really great, they remind me of the Italians. And yes, Milan is why I'm bitching too because it was released partially. That felt like a stab in the back, to have such an incredible gig be cut short as a stupid extra for a compilation cd.
Had we got the whole thing, I would be incredibly happy and not complain at all. U2 just keeps screwing their European fans over and over in favour of the Americans.

just because they don't film a DVD there, they are screwing over Europeans? A little harsh maybe?

It's not just that. Every time U2 does something cool, it's in America and for their US fans. I haven't seen them on a tv show here since 2005 or so, yet they appear on countless US shows. They give loads of interviews there, appear in loads of magazines, haven't seen anything nice here yet. They keep professing their love of America, well, what about the rest of your fans? :huh:

I apologize if someone already covered this, but will anybody be recording this for future download? I am planning on watching it live, but I want to keep it for the future too. I'm not NEARLY technologically savvy enough to figure out how to do that......

Galeongirl, I said the U.S. had a large PART of making them who they are today, not solely. Big DIFF!
I don't for one minute think fans in one country are any less worthy than another, I was just speculating as to why they choose to film here. It may have something to do with production costs too or logistics, not the "pay back" to a specific groups of fans. I am guessing that the U.S. still accounts, just because of our size, as the major purchasing group in their fan base. I could be wrong, and again I am just speculating.

If I were European I would feel slighted too I suppose, but don't
turn this into a worthiness turf war, I bet that is not what U2 intends andif we knew the real reason, we would all probably be wrong.
:lol:
I am just tired of the constant griping.....not from you specifically but in general.
Let's have some gratitude for a change.

It's not just that. Every time U2 does something cool, it's in America and for their US fans. I haven't seen them on a tv show here since 2005 or so, yet they appear on countless US shows. They give loads of interviews there, appear in loads of magazines, haven't seen anything nice here yet. They keep professing their love of America, well, what about the rest of your fans? :huh:

Is Sheffield in America now? :hmm:

Will it be legal to post it on U2Torrents?

Yes, it's been discussed, and since this will be released officially we won't be allowing any uploads. Also for any of you guys still wanting/needing the Jersey Conspiracy of Hope and UF Croke gigs, hurry up and grab them (pretty sure both are on DIME's tracker as we speak)...with the upcoming UF Deluxe edition those shows will go on the "not allowed" list.

I apologize if someone already covered this, but will anybody be recording this for future download? I am planning on watching it live, but I want to keep it for the future too. I'm not NEARLY technologically savvy enough to figure out how to do that......

I would assume folks will capture this. Apparently you can d/l youtube videos as .mp4 files, so I'd expect to possibly see it on places like PirateBay and the like. I haven't done it before, but I will probably try it.

Seeing as there's no country in Europe (because of the small size of each country geographically/population-wise) that the band could tour as heavily as they tour across the United States, I don't think it's fair to assume they can approach "European" fans in the same way they do American fans.

Irish fans won't feel the "love" from the band if they put a Chorzow, Poland DVD—there are four different countries with four different languages that separate those locations.

Even though this Sunday is being filmed in the United States, I certainly don't feel much of a connection with the folks out in LA...they're 2,600 miles away from me and living completely different lives; that distance separation is farther than from Lisbon, Portugal to Moscow!! I don't think the Portuguese fans would revel in the same love as the Russians...

Similarly, there aren't TV shows that play across all European countries in the same way that SNL/Good Morning America are broadcast across the entire US. So, "I haven't seen them on a tv show here since 2005 or so, yet they appear on countless US shows" seems a like an irrelavant comparison to make—they played BBC, two French shows, the Berlin gig on TV, each of which had a theoretical audience more "local" than any of the nationally-shown US TV appearances.

Let's think of the possible reasons for filming the LA gig besides U2 having "preferences" for some fans vs. others:

Los Angeles is one of the last gigs of the entire 2009 tour. It will be the most rehearsed, refined, best visually-produced show of the year, and the stadium is nice, big, and the climate in SC is warm for this time of year. Oh, and the hub of worldwide cinema/filmmaking is 10 miles away...

Yeah, I'm not allowed to bitch because u2 can do no wrong. :happy:

Sorry but I've a general feeling how the crowd reacts due to older dvds and reports from people from BOTH THE US AND the rest of the world that people in the US are just less energetic at concerts than the rest of the world are. So that's where I base my assumptions on.

And loyalty? US made U2 who they were? They were big in Europe WAY before they were big in the US, as far as I'm aware.

U23D was a great movie, the South American crowd is really great, they remind me of the Italians. And yes, Milan is why I'm bitching too because it was released partially. That felt like a stab in the back, to have such an incredible gig be cut short as a stupid extra for a compilation cd.
Had we got the whole thing, I would be incredibly happy and not complain at all. U2 just keeps screwing their European fans over and over in favour of the Americans.

:up:

If I were European I would feel slighted too I suppose,

Then why fall all over me for complaining if you'd do the same thing in my shoes? :huh:

I'm not trying to turn this in a who's better than who war, because nobody would ever win this. I'm just trying to make you understand how I feel about this.

I don't hate the US nor their citizens. I just wish you guys would be more cheerful, less reserved...

In the end it's U2 who makes these decisions so I'm taking all of these complaints as directed at them (U2) not the US per se.

This is seriously a let down. I dont understand why u2 didnt wait until next year and film in europe. LA is not going to bring it at all. I saw u2 in ten different cities on the elevation tour and LA was hands down the worst by a long shot. there was no energy.

Ah, but you forget that everyone in Los Angeles wants to be an actor: once the cameras are rolling and Bono is exhorting all of us, there won't be any problems :wink:

this.. :up:

Ah, but you forget that everyone in Los Angeles wants to be an actor: once the cameras are rolling and Bono is exhorting all of us, there won't be any problems :wink:

a fact when it comes to LaLa land... and everyone is in therapy too over there. Thriving business it is.. :D Just ask my mom, she was a therapist for over 20 yrs there..

It's very simple -- we're better than you are.

:)

I don't hate the US nor their citizens. I just wish you guys would be more cheerful, less reserved...

What! Reserved...who...me?

When I'm at a U2 concert, I'm so cheerful, my whole body aches from cheerfulness the next day. :D

no j/k GG!

Yes, it's been discussed, and since this will be released officially we won't be allowing any uploads. Also for any of you guys still wanting/needing the Jersey Conspiracy of Hope and UF Croke gigs, hurry up and grab them (pretty sure both are on DIME's tracker as we speak)...with the upcoming UF Deluxe edition those shows will go on the "not allowed" list.

On the basis that the Croke and COH gigs can be shared up until release, could the LA streams/video etc on Sunday be shared up until release?

How well directed this thing is will be interesting. I would love for another U2 DVD to have the quality of filming that R&H had (I can say a lot of negative things about R&H, but it's an absolute visual delight to watch), but the best I think we can hope for is something as good as ZooTV Sydney or PopMart Mexico City (both of which are well-directed, but not quite as well as R&H, IMO).

Back
Top Bottom