Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hewson said:
Next time they play locally and assuming I can get through and get fan club tix (not a given with the way the sales have gone in recent years), you're welcome to join me if you like. Seats will be pretty good (Headache can attest to that).

:hmm:

Nice. That was never a favorite of mine but it's super fun live. The crowd always loves it, as they did last night.

Yeah, it was one of main reasons I disliked them for a while. I could never make sense of all the praise and hype surrounding them 10 years ago when one of their most popular songs was Heavy Metal Drummer.

photo_zpsa9c7d9e3.png

Still no progress. :angry:

lazarus said:
I was listening to Hello Sadness the other day and was wondering why I ever was so disappointed with it. The only songs I really don't care for are Hate For The Island and the last track.

Rest of it ranges from good to great IMO.

I struggled at first because I loved Romance is Boring so much.

Yeah, it was one of main reasons I disliked them for a while. I could never make sense of all the praise and hype surrounding them 10 years ago when one of their most popular songs was Heavy Metal Drummer.

Great, great pop song.

But I suppose scores of glowing reviews don't really prepare you for such a nice, pleasant song. That's the problem I usually see people have with Wilco. "Ah, gee, this is nice, but what's so special about it?"

As always, Robert Christgau had the right attitude.

Great, great pop song.

But I suppose scores of glowing reviews don't really prepare you for such a nice, pleasant song. That's the problem I usually see people have with Wilco. "Ah, gee, this is nice, but what's so special about it?"

"Boring, throwaway dad rock" seemed more accurate to my ears at the time. When a band was continually called ridiculous things like "America's Radiohead", and their most popular song reminded me of Matchbox 20, it was tough to not feel confused.

Ah, Heavy Metal Drummer is just a fun, nostalgic pop piece. No more dad-rockish than The National. :wink:

Yeah, doesn't bug me now. It's annoying how much outside factors can sway your opinions on things sometimes.

"Boring, throwaway dad rock" seemed more accurate to my ears at the time. When a band was continually called ridiculous things like "America's Radiohead", and their most popular song reminded me of Matchbox 20, it was tough to not feel confused.

Daaaaamn.

Ah, Heavy Metal Drummer is just a fun, nostalgic pop piece. No more dad-rockish than The National. :wink:

I'm only a moderate fan of The National, but that's a lot farther from dad-rock than VWilco.

GUYS! GUYS! Guys.

All morning because of you I've been going "shefellinlovewiththedrummershefellinlovewiththedrummershefellinlovewiththedrummershefellinlovewiththedrummershefellinlovewiththedrummershefellinlovewiththedrummershefellinlovewiththedrummershefellinlovewiththedrummer"

And now I log on to Facebook to see Wilco have been confirmed for a festival here in March next year. Only in Sydney so far, but this could mean an Australian tour! :hyper:

I like a lot of bands that I see labeled as dad rock so apparently I like whatever the hell this dad rock is. So for me it's not even a derogatory label. Because I don't really care about labels. I like what I like.

And since I also like Michael Jackson, I guess I like pedophile pop, too.

Anyone want to take bets on how many years it will be before someone can mention Michael Jackson without a pedophilia comment from Laz?

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Wilco was only truly great when Jay Bennett was on board. (Being There, Summerteeth, YHF)

I still like them but, yeah, those are easily their three best albums. In my opinion. Not even close. They lost a lot of magic when Tweedy kicked Bennett out of the band. R.I.P.

With the notable exception of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, this band bores me senseless.

I was very pleasantly surprised by The Whole Love; it led me to reexamine their back catalogue, and I found myself really enjoying Being There and Summerteeth. I'm Always in Love is fantastic. YHF remains a mixed bag for me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom