Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not coming here, so I'm not fussed about tour stuff. Gave away my presale code to a friend of mine.

Maybe another night, I'll stream it.

Paper clips kick ass. I mean, they're good at holding papers together and everything, but when it comes to electronic devices, they're fucking miraculous.

Got my new phone from t-mobile a week ago and the headphone jack was all screwed up. Not a single pair of headphones would fit into it. Tonight I got sick of it and blindly jabbed a paper clip in there a couple of times and it's working perfectly.

Paper clips and antidepressants are the solution to most first-world problems.

And engaging in his delivery of those songs.

I love this:

Jonathan Richman - Let Her Go Into The Darkness Live - YouTube

Okay, the opening notes alone had me sold. I am such a sucker for songs with that musical sound.

His voice sounded awesome as well. That song was fantastic.

Still debating on whether to stream the new Green Day or not. I just don't want to be disappointed. Although nothing could be worse than those Stranglers albums I listened to this morning. Wow, those were awful.

The Stranglers are still putting out albums? This I did not know.

Hope the album will be better than you expect if/when you do finally hear it.

The Stranglers are still putting out albums? This I did not know.

Hope the album will be better than you expect if/when you do finally hear it.
These were old ones from the 70's/80's/whatever. Awful. Just awful.

I heard Rattus Norvegicus once and found it enjoyable but not worth a second try, at least not at that moment. They have a unique sound.

Is anyone here familiar with the works of Ms Laura Nyro (pronounced Nero)?

She had a sad sounding voice, apparently Nyro only gained recognition after she died which is pretty sad, but that only adds to the myth of the artist

She knew how to sing a sad song

th_heartbreak.jpg

Sheesh, no one paid any notice to the Jonathan Richman / Modern Lovers stuff for the years Martha and I have been talking about him. Friggin' Wilco. :wink:

I heard Rattus Norvegicus once and found it enjoyable but not worth a second try, at least not at that moment. They have a unique sound.

Rattus Norvegicus I just found boring. No More heroes is literally one of the worst albums I've ever heard. Every song had bad keyboards. I don't mind keyboards in my punk rock, but these were bad keyboards. The drummer played such a lazy, predictable beat, I wasn't sure it wasn't a drum machine. Could barely hear any guitars over the bad keys, and the lead singer was tryin' 'is 'ardest to sound Cockney, like Johnny Rotten, but kept slipping back into whatever accent he actually had (which sounds halfway Scottish and/or Swedish, it was weird), and it was just sort of sad.

Hey guys fyi: Peter Gabriel is touring the complete So album (billed "Back to Front") for 12 dates or so across the US..next stop Philly tomorrow night. Might want to catch that, heard it's with all/most of the original band. :up:

Hey guys fyi: Peter Gabriel is touring the complete So album (billed "Back to Front") for 12 dates or so across the US..next stop Philly tomorrow night. Might want to catch that, heard it's with all/most of the original band. :up:

Isnt he too old to be doing the whole 'So' routine? He wears a headset on stage to cover up how he cant hit a few of those 'young man' notes

gvox said:

I'm on top of this.

One week :hyper:

Isnt he too old to be doing the whole 'So' routine? He wears a headset on stage to cover up how he cant hit a few of those 'young man' notes

He's been wearing a headset since day 1 in the 80s (if not even before, but that's how long I remember it). Where you been? :lol:

The headset's got nothing to do with whether or not he can hit the notes, and by all accounts from people I know who've seen him recently he's still putting on a hell of a show :shrug:

Sheesh, no one paid any notice to the Jonathan Richman / Modern Lovers stuff for the years Martha and I have been talking about him. Friggin' Wilco. :wink:

When Jeff Tweedy says he's his hero, I pay attention. :wink:

When Jeff Tweedy says he's his hero, I pay attention. :wink:

Haha. I went to see Jonathan Richman at a tiny, tiny venue in SLC a couple of years back. I was standing right in front of the stage staring at my phone and waiting for the show to start. Felt someone touch my shoulder and ask if they could sneak by. Turned around and and it was Jonathan Richman. Yes, Jeff Tweedy's hero touched me on the shoulder. :wink:

Is anyone here familiar with the works of Ms Laura Nyro (pronounced Nero)?

She had a sad sounding voice, apparently Nyro only gained recognition after she died which is pretty sad, but that only adds to the myth of the artist

Her and The Allman Brothers Band are my Mom's two favorites. I grew with Laura Nyro playing in our house all the time. She has a GORGEOUS voice. It would've been great to have been able to see her perform live.

I wish he would get back together with Genesis and do The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway back-to-front. :drool: He has probably my second favorite-male singer voice ever!

I'll never catch up.

Wilco was really fun; what a gorgeous venue, and it was such a treat to see a great show from such amazing seats! Jonathan Richman was fairly adorable.

Joyfulgirl is an awesome hostess. We hiked. We ate. We listened to Passion Pit, like, 18 times (this is a good thing). She fed me something green from her juicer that was a lot better than it had any right to be.

Here's a fun story. Remember how Beach House and Fiona Apple were playing on the same night, and I was going to work the latter instead of going to the former? Well, I sold my Beach House ticket last night and now the Fiona show is postponed. Lucky me!

Watched that 5, 10, 15, 20 deal on Pitchfork for Beirut this morning while eating breakfast (an artist picks an album that was important to them at each of these ages in their life and discusses it). Zach Condon says that Stereolab's Dots and Loops is possibly his all time favorite album. I'm not at all familiar with Stereolab. Should I follow Zach's advice, and check that one out, or do others here think it's a poor choice?

Here's a fun story. Remember how Beach House and Fiona Apple were playing on the same night, and I was going to work the latter instead of going to the former? Well, I sold my Beach House ticket last night and now the Fiona show is postponed. Lucky me!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddgggggggggeeeeeeeeee

~Ralphie

I guess I can try to find a ticket to Beach House for the same amount I was paid for mine last night. Craigslist isn't panning out right now though. I've got a few hours to figure shit out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom