Random Music Talk LXVI: This is not a rutabaga song...this is CELERY SALTY CELERY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will keep all that in mind. Though the prospect of the third album you've mentioned doesn't sound all that palatable, given how fun this album was. I don't know what to expect from your description.

On to Blackwater Park by Opeth. I'm uh...yeah...what the fuck is this? I didn't think they were deathgrowly?

You'll like Summer Vacation then.

The title track from Blackwater Park is crazily awesome.

So far today I have listened to:

Wilco - The Whole Love
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
random Irish album I picked up in Dingle, Ireland
Fiona Apple - When the Pawn ...
The Band - Platinum Hits

I feel a little Van Morrison might be in order for cooking dinner later.

And then after that, the disc of actual performance from the Sigur Ros Heima DVD. I watched the doc portion of it last night. Iceland should just use that film as their entire tourism platform.

Glorious day. Perfect sun, where it just feels like awesome sunshine, and not intense, where it sends me running away from it. Love weather like this.

corianderstem said:
And then after that, the disc of actual performance from the Sigur Ros Heima DVD. I watched the doc portion of it last night. Iceland should just use that film as their entire tourism platform.
I think I've already said this a dozen times, but I still haven't watched that damn thing.

I didn't go to Bumbershoot today. I woke up feeling really wishy-washy about it, and figured I'd see if I could give them away. Even if I couldn't, they were free, so I wouldn't have guilt for not going.

Walked into Starbucks and asked if any of the baristas wanted them. One young guy threw his hands up in the air. "ME!"

So it felt good to make his day. He was excited to see M83 and Passion Pit.

Me, I'm glad I did that, so I could spend the afternoon sitting outside reading in the sun instead of sitting inside Key Arena, which is the new location for the festival's "main stage," rather than the old outdoor venue.

I'm bummed that Passion Pit didn't play FYF.

Of course, my car battery dying and iPhone touch screen going out on the same day contributed to me missing Day 2 yesterday. :angry:

On to Blackwater Park by Opeth. I'm uh...yeah...what the fuck is this? I didn't think they were deathgrowly?

After all these years knowing me and you didn't realise this? :lol:

Hell, Bleak is what got me into death metal in the first place when I was sixteen or so. Akerfeldt's growls are immense, and the clean harmonies between Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson are close to being the best thing on any Opeth album.

For non-deathgrowly Opeth, check Damnation and Heritage.

I'm at the airport waiting for my flight to Germany. I will likely not be posting here until I return to the States. I'm in touch with many of you via Facebook or other means, though, so perhaps I'll be in contact via those avenues. You kids behave while I'm gone. Auf Wiedersehen! :)

Aww, I didn't realize you'll not be posting while you're gone. I would have cherished these last few days more. CHERISHED THEM.

Have fun, New South Wales. I will miss you. I hope you will miss me and find someone else to fill the Outkast/LCD Soundsystem void in your heart.

Enjoy working in Germany, NSW.

As advance notice, I'd like everyone to know that I have 0 desire to go to work tomorrow. :happy:

Oh man, you are preaching towards the direction of the proverbial choir with that one. A Three day weekend sucks when it means going back to work at 6:00 AM.

212er, you must listen to summer vacation. It's like hopeless romantic but better. And Anchors is great, I'm kind of confused what political songs on there would seem dated. the gold album has more post 9/11 stuff than anchors does. Kinda torn between summer vacation and anchors on what my favorite soulies album is, I love both those albums quite a bit. That song, private radio, true believers--such a killer way to start out an album, also probably some of the best examples of my absolute favorite kimd of super catchy anthemic sing alongy punk rock. And it ends with gone, easily one of my favorite songs of theirs. You know what also sounds like those albums? The first two street dogs albums. Their third album, fading American dream, is the best, but the first two are excellent as well. Not awesome albums would be the most recent bouncing souls album or the last two street dogs, sadly.

I have zero desire to go to work tomorrow as well. The only thing that keeps me from calling out is that it would mean I lose my holiday pay from Monday. Ten hours of double time and a half is going to put me halfway toward being able to buy a bass, and I wants a bass, yo. But hell, I hate that I've still got another hour and a half at work tonight til I get to go home.

Safe travels, not safe (for) work.

So ol' cobbler has something of a dilemma.

There's this festival on in late Jan called Rainbow Serpent. It's apparently pretty hippie, carefree, everyone's pretty laidback and stuff. Weed permeates the joint, which is cool. Friend of mine who went last year said it was some of the best few days of her life. It goes for three nights, four days. Music is largely trance from what I hear, and I don't recognise any of the names. But supposedly it's just an awesome experience (she likened it to Burning Man, which is on my bucket list). She got me a ticket last night, $230. It's on the same time as Australia Day weekend, so there's every chance my mates will be doing something pretty fun that weekend. They also think I've gotten weirder since I did that leadership camp last year (which is where I know this girl from), which is probably a little true, though I like to think it's more of the real me coming out. I don't know if I'll go to this festival. I probably wouldn't have lost my keenness for it so quickly if it wasn't on a public holiday long weekend. Part of me thinks, 'hell yeah, new experience, new people, new stories'. I'd like to do something spontaneous, random, something that's not typical for me. But part of me thinks 'I'll be spending $230 on a ticket and then more on getting there, food, drink (it's BYO, which is great), weed, whatever, and I might miss a great weekend with mates, and what are they going to think of me for going. What if I go and have a shithouse time, then I'll just beat myself up for months and may end up resenting this girl yada yada yada blah blah blah.'

I'm just talking out loud, really, but if anyone wants to chime in, please do.

Problemz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYHDfJDPDc

Breaking my phone today and having no alarm clock means that I also had to get up much earlier than I wanted. Today is just going to be atrocious.

Personally, I think it'd be silly of ya not to go. The lineup's not even really out yet. What are you making your, "I don't know any of the bands" claim off of?

Well this is the first announcement - First Round Act Announcements | Rainbow Serpent Festival

And reading the website, it seems it's all dance music of some description - trance, downbeat, ambient, reggae, roots, dubstep (of the good kind), dancehall, "balkan beats", so on. It's not a mainstream festival and considering it's $230 for four days, which is significantly cheaper than every other multi-day festival in the country, I'm not anticipating any big names getting on the lineup. But there's arts and crafts, discussion forums, massage... I've changed my mind about six times today :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom