Random Music Talk LXVI: This is not a rutabaga song...this is CELERY SALTY CELERY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Albini's comments and can certainly see where he's coming from. Then again, I don't have all that much respect for Amanda Palmer in the first place.

But in defense of kickstarter-type websites...

The yoga studio where I teach has developed a yoga-based stress management kit (with DVDs, a CD, and a book) to help soldiers with PTSD and to help reduce the suicide rate of our troops. It's been three years in the making, and we've tested it out with veterans, and the thing has helped people get their lives back. Every effort to get this thing mass produced, though, has been stymied with red tape, and it's hard to get a corporate sponsor to back something that is still in its relative infancy. So with soldiers and people who help them contacting our yoga studio begging for the program, the best way to get it out to people was to fund it with a kickstarter. Soldiers get the help they need for free, and we have some funding to help get it to them as people donate to a cause that tangibly supports our troops. :up:

So yeah, some kickstarters are pretty silly, but some are trying to do some great things. Guess that's always the case--you take the good (helping our troops) with the bad (Amanda Palmer's solo record).

I've heard their live show is brilliant, so I'm excited for that. They played Lolla a couple years ago and the folks on that board were over the moon about it. I'm not sure why I didn't go, probably a conflict. They're unopposed on Sunday.

Yeah, they're really fun live. A perfect festival band.

There was a discussion about Screamadelica and for anybody who's interested, their live rendition of the album they did recently is fantastic and for my money better than the studio recording. It even flows better, putting Loaded and Come Together in the end, since the album is so painfully anti-climactic.

I havent read the artucle yet,but j can see no reason for people to be bitcing about amanda palmers kickstarter. You all thougt Louis CK was a genius for doing pretty much the same thing.

Text I just sent to my friend in NYC:

"You know, there's really not one song that's not good on those first three Weezer albums. That's gotta be a hard feat to attain. Maybe 'Holiday' is a tad bit forgettable, but still . . . every song goes from between really solid to greatness."

I could do without the Green Album's entire second half, though it admittedly starts off great.

Every song on Blue Album and Pinkerton is awesome. If they had just stopped after those two, I would place them among the most consistently great bands ever, alongside Velvet Underground and Big Star.

I will concur that the second half of the Green Album isn't as good as the first, but I still like every single one of Weezer's first 30 album-songs. An amazing feat, if you ask me.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another band/artist who I love that has accomplished that.

Text I just sent to my friend in NYC:

"You know, there's really not one song that's not good on those first three Weezer albums. That's gotta be a hard feat to attain. Maybe 'Holiday' is a tad bit forgettable, but still . . . every song goes from between really solid to greatness."

I agree with your friend. Except for the part about Holiday, that's one of my favorites.

I didn't get to experience the zomg Weezer's back excitement of the Green Album release because I became a fan in 2004, but if I had, I would have cried tears of joy over Don't Let Go > Photograph. Two perfect pop songs right there.

I like Maladroit a lot too. It's with Make Believe that the band went to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom