Random Music Talk LIX: (but doesn't suck)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danny Boy said:
Is that Pharr from Austin? I've honestly never heard of it.

It's deep deep deep south, near the border. I can't muster a shit to give about Morrissey, so it's a moot point, but I just found the locations curious.

So, FYF Fest announced their lineup. Pretty solid and tickets for two days are $77. I really want to catch M83 as I missed their epic Coachella set.

35nbwok.jpg

That's a decent lineup. Definitely enough great bands, considering it's only two days.

Paul Banks does solo gigs?

Morrissey:

Should I bother buying a ticket for the Seattle show, or is he just going to cancel anyway?

That's actually kind of a serious question - when he cancels shows, do you get refunds? Because if not, I don't know that I want to spend the money. Because he cancels a lot, right?

Danny Boy said:
Must be hard to find a venue in Texas that will agree not to sell cheeseburgers.

Harder to find one that doesn't serve brisket and pulled pork with all the fixins.

Very much so. Vegetarian, vegan, organic, and gluten free is all the rage everywhere. I'd rather have three pounds of bacon and a rack of ribs, myself.

Should I bother buying a ticket for the Seattle show, or is he just going to cancel anyway?

That's actually kind of a serious question - when he cancels shows, do you get refunds? Because if not, I don't know that I want to spend the money. Because he cancels a lot, right?

Not sure. I've only seen him once and everything went according to schedule, so he's at 100% for me. :wink:

I didn't know Morissey was playing places as big as Staples Center. Hmm.

And Cori, why would you NOT get your money back? If that was the case bands could cancel whenever they felt like it and just keep everything. It's a contract.

I don't know; I just wanted to hear from someone who'd had Moz bail on them for confirmation.

Maybe my brain is stuck in olden days thinking ... didn't a lot of concerts have "no refund" policies with the tickets? I thought that used to be a thing. Maybe I'm thinking about the "rain or shine" caveats for outdoor shows.

I've been at #3 for a while, though not intentionally. I still really like a lot of tracks from the old days of the "real" band, but have a hard time listening to them now because of what a chump Corgan comes across as lately.

I only regularly listen to maybe 3 or 4 Smashing Pumpkins songs.

Tonight Tonight
Zero
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
... maybe one or two off Gish
... ditto Siamese Dream, although it's been a long time since I've heard those particular songs

The three off Meloncholie are, I think, the only SP songs on my iPod.

Cherub Rock, Disarm, 1979, Tonight Tonight. Perfect songs.

Bullet With Butterfly Wings has always seemed really silly to me. Maybe if I had started listening to it at 13 instead of 17, I dunno.

I hated them when they first got popular for that exact reason, Elfa. Plus, MTV and the radio were shoving them down our throats every 30 minutes. I think I didn't actually start liking them until Adore (which Bang and Clatter loved back in the day), which is probably when many of their old fans started hating them. :wink:

They were probably the most disappointing concert I ever saw. I went to see them at Summerfest in Milwaukee ... I think it was after Adore had come out.

Everything sounded awful, and kind of the same - too fast, too screamy ... even the songs I really liked sounded terrible, like he'd changed them all out of spite.

It didn't help that I went with the guy I'd just broken up with. I still took him with me, as we were trying to be just friends. Not my wisest move ever.

Next to Tiny Tim (god rest his soul) does anyone have a more annoying voice in music than Corgan?

Their cover of Landslide makes me want to kill myself for its 4 minute duration, mostly because of the vocals. That and Landslide is depressing as hell.

It is pretty silly, but it rocks pretty hard.

See, this is, in a nutshell, why I cannot and will not ever enjoy Nine Inch Nails. Yeah, the music is pretty heavy and cool, but they have the same lyrical issues, only they're on every song and every album every time. Reznor needs to just take some archived myspace entries and pull words from them at random to save himself some time. Maybe he already does that.

I had the first 2 or 3 Nine Inch Nails records, and I used to like them a lot. Now, not so much. I've thought about picking up Pretty Hate Machine again; that's the only one where I liked more than one song.

I had 2 roommates who were huge Smashing Pumpkins fans that got me into them in '98 or '99. I listened to some of their bootlegs, and that's what I always thought about their live sound too, Cori. The one "live" thing I did really like was a VH1 Storytellers they (or maybe it was Corgan solo, can't remember) did supporting Machina. Most everything was acoustic and sounded really nice stripped down like that.

I used to work with a guy who had a little picture of Corgan's bald head taped to his computer monitor. I asked him why it was there - I didn't think he was a fan of the band.

He said he had it there because it was so fucking goofy, and he liked to call him "Uncle Fester."

So now I usually think "Hey, Uncle Fester" when I see a picture of Corgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom