Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been quoting that Farley/Sandler exchange from Billy Madison with a buddy of mine for the past week.

"If peeing your pants is cool, then consider me Miles Davis."

So, I'm watching X-Men: First Class online right now and, hold the fuck up.

Did they just use the exact same opening sequence for their film as Bryan Singer did 11 years ago for his X-Men film?

What the F?

That seems lazy as shit, to me. Kinda has taken me out of the movie already. Did anyone else think that that was kind of a strange and mostly awful choice?

So, I'm watching X-Men: First Class online right now and, hold the fuck up.

Did they just use the exact same opening sequence for their film as Bryan Singer did 11 years ago for his X-Men film?

What the F?

That seems lazy as shit, to me. Kinda has taken me out of the movie already. Did anyone else think that that was kind of a strange and mostly awful choice?

I was taken aback by it in the theater, too, especially since this iteration of the scene plays up the pulpy element when compared to the original sequence. It's not as egregious as the Wolverine procedure sequence in Wolverine's flick differing from the Singer X-films (the amount of blood, for starters).

Had First Class not been bound by the continuity of the Singer films and been its own piece, I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I can only take 2 or 3 mentions of Xavier being bald in the future before I start cringing.

Isn't it a pretty big expansion of the scene in X-Men? Forgive me, I saw First Class this summer and haven't seen the original in years.

Spielbergo's Lincoln cast keeps getting more and more talent, Jackie Earl Haley just signed on as Alexander Stephens, vice president of the Confederacy.

Still, I can't help but feel that it's a shame to call this an adaptation of Team of Rivals, a book that details the entire lives of the four potential 1860 candidates & the others that became the Lincoln administration as well as deftly handling the country's political environment leading up to the war and the war itself, when the film is to deal exclusively with the last 4 months of Lincoln's life and bears a title that suggests a singular focus. I have high hopes that it will be quite good with the cast and Tony Kushner behind the screenplay, I just feel like Team of Rivals is prime for HBO miniseries adaptation.

I didn't even share my thoughts on the movie as a whole. I kinda liked it. It has many flaws, but it was a pretty fun comic book movie. I'm a fan of the X-Men universe to begin with, so that helped. I grew up on the cartoon series. Anyway...

I actually enjoyed some of the attempts at being a campy, 1960s espionage movie. The whole globetrotting, multilingual, guns and mysterious briefcases thing. The idea of setting an X-Men movie in the 60s is, frankly, a fucking cool idea. It could have been executed better. The period isn't perfectly sold. But I'm also sure it could have been executed worse.

McAvoy is the best thing about the movie, for my money. I thought he was fantastic as Xavier. Very charming, funny, likable. And his chemistry with THE FASS! was strong.

Here's probably the biggest problem:

Had First Class not been bound by the continuity of the Singer films and been its own piece, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

You hit the nail on the head there, LMP. Totally agree.

Why not just do a complete reboot? It spends too much time winking at those in the audience that have seen the Singer films. Some of the winks worked, most of them did not. I got a kick out of Jackman's "Go fuck yourself" cameo, but when Jennifer Lawrence turns into Rebecca Romijn? Nah. That was just stupid. And the way they went about naming the characters was silly, etc.

And the thing that bugged me the most (in regards to keeping the continuity with Singer's films) was what happened to Mystique at the end of the movie. I liked the relationship between McAvoy and Lawrence. It was established that they were childhood friends, best friends, and I liked that. Then she suddenly joins Magneto at the end. Why? Oh yeah, because Magneto and Mystique were pals in the Singer movies. Fuck that. It felt totally forced.

And in either of the two Singer movies, do Prof X and Mystique have any interaction whatsoever? I don't think so. But they were best friends since they were like 6? Fuck that.

Despite the many gripes...enjoyable. And I'd recommend it. I'm going to bed.

I think it still could have worked in Singer's continuity, but they clearly rushed a lot of things probably just in case they didn't get to make a sequel, examples: the development of Xavier and Magneto into best friends in a matter of weeks, and the betrayal happening right after. Also, while the result is pretty good, I'm sure they could have made a better movie with more than 14 months from green light to release.

My Media and Crime course kicks ass. The first half of class is a showing of Cagney's Public Enemy. I would have certainly seen this on my own at some point; it's a benchmark for the genre.

I haven't seen Warrior (MMA isn't my thing and the concept of brothers fighting for a championship strains credulity, but given the buzz it received I'll check it out on DVD) but he was excellent in The Square and Animal Kingdom, plus he's in the Thing prequel so you should totally talk to him about that.

Seeing Warrior for free, gold class, at the Jam Factory next Friday. My work experience ends this Friday, so I must be doing something right :)

It's not really my thing either ph.

tarloi.jpg

Let's go.

Look at the voice cast on IMDB.

How could it possibly be bad?

Obvious musician aside, that's exactly how it could be bad. Why should I care about big name people being in an ANIMATED film? I would be so damn happy if it went back to the people who were talented voice actors being voice actors and not celebs. It colors the film too much, they try to put jokes in and such that fit the actor too much, and it's completely unnecessary.

All that being said, I'm really excited about DeVito voicing The Lorax. I always kind of associate his voice with childhood movies, thanks to Matilda, and it just seems like his voice is a good fit for the character.

Obvious musician aside, that's exactly how it could be bad. Why should I care about big name people being in an ANIMATED film? I would be so damn happy if it went back to the people who were talented voice actors being voice actors and not celebs. It colors the film too much, they try to put jokes in and such that fit the actor too much, and it's completely unnecessary.

:up:

If DeVito's doing that thing's voice, I certainly hope the movie is NC17.

Please God, don't let it be bad. Please please please.

This, probably my favorite book of his. It could easily come off as An Inconvenient Truth: For Kids! (If only Happy Feet hadn't already claimed that mantle).

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Movie Trailers - iTunes

So I know it's going to come off as Oscar bait trash, but I want it to not be schlocky. I can't say why, I wasn't the biggest fan of the book, nor is Daldry all that interesting to me, maybe it's just that it's a project in a precarious situation. It can come off as gimmicky with the kid's strange perspective, heavy-handed/exploitive with September 11th kicking the story into motion, and for the film, trying too hard to be prestige, and I'm someone that doesn't like to see people fail even when I have no connection with them, so I guess that's why I want it to turn out OK.

A few thoughts on the trailer: Streets being played instantly connects with U2's Super Bowl tribute (which was probably on purpose) while the book’s style was rather eccentrically 'post-modern' and it’s strange to think about the journey this kid goes on, it never came off as heightened reality, which for some reason this did, I wouldn’t say ‘schmaltzy’, I think that had a lot to with the selection/placement of dialog in the trailer, but something just doesn’t feel real here.

That said, in spite of that heightened feeling, and their reputations recently/ever Hanks and Bullock look surprisingly restrained.

I guess this is what Von Sydow was shooting when he had to turn down the patriarch role in the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which he was perfect for from the moment the author wrote the novel. Not that Christopher Plummer will be bad, but it would have been great to have Sweden’s most revered actor instead.

I thought The Reader and The Hours were very good movies.

He does women, well. I am sure he had a close relationship with his mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom