Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't even attempt to notify the police? No search party? No amber alert? What the fuck, you guys?

Thoughts on Atonement.

Gorgeous movie. I loved the framing and cinematography. Beautiful sets. I enjoyed the story for the most part, but didn't feel the payoff at the end that I was hoping for. Strangely, I felt like there was a dividing point in the middle of the film (right after the Dunkirk Beach tracking shot, ironically enough) where the film lost much of what made it so beautiful in the beginning. When the story switched focus to Briony, it felt like a different film. Gone were the set pieces and painterly scenes that made the first half such a joy to watch. It felt the way I feel after a long day of work when the inspiration has faded and I'm just trying to get things finished. I still liked it, but it was like the magic was gone.
And I always find it unpleasantly jarring when period films move into the modern day. I don't like it. It's like waking from a flying dream into the relatively mundane real life.
I would still recommend the film and will watch it again (might even find it on bluray. I liked the first half that much), but I'd be lying if I said I wasnt a little let down as it made its way to the end

In the crowded category of War Docs, this one looks like it could be interesting

Hell and Back Again - Movie Trailers - iTunes

I'm intrigued that it was completely shot on a 5dmkii (blasphemy for you film buffs?). Seems like it's custom designed for documentary film making. I was disappointed to see how it captures the chopper blades, though.

Monte Hellman's Road to Nowhere was shot with the same camera and turned out absolutely beautifully. Nothing blasphemous about artists pushing the limits of available new technologies.

I've heard some people being absolutely opposed to it... I think maybe Werner Herzog for one? Or was he just anti digital? I can't remember.

Imperor said:
Son, son.

:doh: that is egregious.

I think I'd have to watch it more times. Funny but the plot was a bit loose. The Carl/Ty scene was great, as was Carl commentating himself, and Ty throwing the shot of tequila over his shoulder was hilarious.

:doh: that is egregious.

I think I'd have to watch it more times. Funny but the plot was a bit loose. The Carl/Ty scene was great, as was Carl commentating himself, and Ty throwing the shot of tequila over his shoulder was hilarious.

Yeah, it's not about the plot. Like most of the Marx Bros. classics, it's about anarchy and letting funny people just be funny.

So many great one-liners in that film it's ridiculous.

"Who's your interior decorator, Benihana?"

"No, I got that stuff in Vietnam."

"Were you in the war?"

"No...homo...much better now."

The opening credits of The Shining are the shit. With the Dies Irae playing, and the bird's eye view of all the shifting landscape as the car heads toward its destination.

I was never jazzed about the movie's prospects, but while Eastwood's J. Edgar movie looks finely made, the trailer is the first time DiCaprio has made me cringe, and that was from the very first line he spoke, the voice he's putting on is ridiculous. He was always wrong for this role, and everyone thought it was his sure ride to Oscar-dom. If anything it's Armie Hammer that looks more Awards-Show worthy in the trailer. I dislike films that try to cover this wide of a time period it just gets messy and condensed, Hoover is a figure worth depicting, but would probably work much better in an HBO miniseries kind of project. Oh and while I said finely made, it's Eastwood's Changeling aesthetic rehashed.

Yeah, it's not about the plot. Like most of the Marx Bros. classics, it's about anarchy and letting funny people just be funny.

So many great one-liners in that film it's ridiculous.

"Who's your interior decorator, Benihana?"

"No, I got that stuff in Vietnam."

"Were you in the war?"

"No...homo...much better now."

"Do you stand for goodness... or for badness?"

lazarus said:
Funny, but not really in the same league.

And Billy Madison is better.

I thought Caddyshack fans might hate it for treading a similar ground.

Agreed on that. Me and her, GOT IT ON! nope, no you didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom