"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
xaviMF22 said:

Lance sucks :madspit:

at least us two enemies like this record :wink:

:hi5:

For a few years, we will have something to agree on, yes. :hi5:

Until LP8 comes out and they alienate me by running clashing trashcan lids through a vocoder and then use it as percussion while Thom reads a page of Green Eggs And Ham.

Lance will wet himself.

LemonMelon said:

Until LP8 comes out and they alienate me by running clashing trashcan lids through a vocoder and then use it as percussion while Thom reads a page of Green Eggs And Ham.

Lance will wet himself.

As long as it's mixed well. :wink:

Lancemc said:

As long as it's mixed well. :wink:

The drier the vocals, the better. You want to be able to hear Thom exhaling as he offers incredibly cold, diseased eggs to that cub-like creature.

I think if I deleted Bodysnatchers and Videotape from this album, I would be a lot happier. Maybe the bonus disc will give me something to replace them with.

Reckoner is one of the least catchy things I've ever heard. I can't even remember how it goes after about 6 listens. :huh: Good song, just not really memorable.

LemonMelon said:
Reckoner is one of the least catchy things I've ever heard. I can't even remember how it goes after about 6 listens. :huh: Good song, just not really memorable.

I agree

but people are calling it the best on the record :huh:

Nude just came on again...:drool:

I wonder how much longer the thread will go on like this? :lol: I don't mind, really. Just saying.

Did Johnny use the Ondes anywhere on this album? I haven't heard it distinctly yet? Which surprised the hell out of me.

Apparently he wrote a 9 minute piece on one that is being used in the There Will Be Blood soundtrack. :combust:

It's hard to tell...liner notes would help. :wink: It is entirely possible that Nude might feature them and they're getting lost in the strings.

I suppose it's possible, though like you said, hard to tell without some fuggin liner notes. :wink:

xaviMF22 said:

I agree

but people are calling it the best on the record :huh:

Reckoner might be my favorite so far and I didn't think it could be possible (since I was never crazy about the earlier song with that title and because All I Need is on this cd). Or at least I've listened to it the most.

Lancemc said:
Did Johnny use the Ondes anywhere on this album? I haven't heard it distinctly yet? Which surprised the hell out of me.

Apparently he wrote a 9 minute piece on one that is being used in the There Will Be Blood soundtrack. :combust:

I can hear it pretty clearly on Bodysnatchers but I don't remember anything else. Oh, and Smear (the piece from There Will Be Blood) = :combust:

LemonMelon said:

Reckoner is the MOST catchy song on the record. I can't get it out of my head. It is brilliant. It IS the best song on this record. By a fair margin.

LemonMelon said:

How can you fucking review this thing already? For publication? I don't care how many times you've listened to it! It's one thing for us to share our opinions with each other, but this is pretty casual. These guys are writing for actual established magazines and papers. Is this what they do for every album? I can't imagine putting my thoughts out there for actual general public consumption without giving it a few days to reflect.

It's sad, really. They don't get advance copies and now have to rush to say something so it looks like they're on topic.

I'm not saying none of the observations are worthy or the opinions without merit, but jesus, let it sink in a little, huh?

lazarus said:

How can you fucking review this thing already? For publication? I don't care how many times you've listened to it! It's one thing for us to share our opinions with each other, but this is pretty casual. These guys are writing for actual established magazines and papers. Is this what they do for every album? I can't imagine putting my thoughts out there for actual general public consumption without giving it a few days to reflect.

It's sad, really. They don't get advance copies and now have to rush to say something so it looks like they're on topic.

I'm not saying none of the observations are worthy or the opinions without merit, but jesus, let it sink in a little, huh?

Agreed 100%. Kid A would have been considered a critical flop had writers based their opinions on a day of (hopefully) constant listening. This is ridiculous.

It does appear, however, that In Rainbows will be the Halo 3 of music and be a nice holiday present as a result. Look for discbox sales to shoot up now. :up:

zoetrope said:

I can hear it pretty clearly on Bodysnatchers but I don't remember anything else. Oh, and Smear (the piece from There Will Be Blood) = :combust:

You've heard Smear?

Is it available anywhere?

namkcuR said:

Reckoner is the MOST catchy song on the record. I can't get it out of my head. It is brilliant. It IS the best song on this record. By a fair margin.

:dance:

Lance, am I crazy or did I just see you over in Where the Album Has No Name?

I can't believe you don't like Passengers.

Don't be bitter just because it beat Kid A to the punch by 5 years.

lazarus said:
Lance, am I crazy or did I just see you over in Where the Album Has No Name?

I can't believe you don't like Passengers.

Don't be bitter just because it beat Kid A to the punch by 5 years.

I make an appearance from time to time. I don't want to end up completely caught with my pants down and be like "Oh hey, look, there's a new U2 album on the shelves. I had no idea."

As for Passengers. I don't dislike it. It's grown on me, much like HTTT. But I used to have quite the reputation, back when I posted in EYNIW, for not being too crazy about Passengers (or at least not considering it a U2 album). I do think it's wildly hit-or-miss though. But when it hits, it's a fucking doozey.

And if I were bitter about that, I'd have to be a super-purist and listen to Varese or some shit. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom