Project Zero One / Songs of Ascent / New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
never heard that version....quite interesting. I agree that the edge will probably have different guitar sounds for EBW and NS. I certainly don't think they are only b-sides though. if the band plays any of the "new material" do you guys think that it will be on the album necessarily? (EBW, NS, mercy)

I dunno, from the way Bono was talking about their time with DM I got the feeling that came about later on in the leg than when those songs first showed up.

October 2010 is when they first mentioned a producer, DM.

It also ties up nicely with the last mention of SOA which is in August, and them obviously dropping Eno and Lanois, as was confirmed later.

meh

I know it's just a soundcheck, but really nothing to this song. By the numbers Edge and Larry....Bono's singing and melody isn't bad.....

but my personal opinion is i'm tired of the back to basics sound. What i'd really like the next album is Adam and Larry to take charge. I know Adam has changed his music mindset, in that he's not looking for the most bad ass bass line anymore, and more about fitting in with the music.....but i would die to hear on the next album a song that's driven/led out front by his bass. We don't get that anymore unless you count a Vertigo/Boots song where his bass takes over in the verse.

Adam did say back in November that he thought the new album was a departure, so if that means away from HTDAAB, that's great.

He also said NLOTH was the end of an era. :yes:

Personally I'd just like some new sounds from The Edge; enough of vintage chimes & cliche "guitar god" riffs.

of the "old" songs we know of, I think we'll see EBW, NS, Sacred Heart of Malibu, Mother of Pearl and Mercy..

I'm putting my money and hopes on not hearing Glastonbury from them again.. except maybe at Glastonbury or as a b-side

Well if, as we are lead to believe, U2 are playing Glastonbury this year, then I think we can assume the namesake song will be played there, and maybe so during the forthcoming shows.

October 2010 is when they first mentioned a producer, DM.

They first mentioned him in October, but that was in reference to having already been working with him for some time.

I highly doubt that U2 knocked up an entire album of entirely brand spanking new material with DM in that time. I bet a decent portion has evolved through all or some of the time from No Line to now. It sounded like they were working on stuff pretty consistently throughout that time. And they're certainly not a start from scratch/stop, start from scratch/stop, start from scratch/stop band.

I'm putting my money and hopes on not hearing Glastonbury from them again.. except maybe at Glastonbury or as a b-side

I hope its BOTH: they play the song live at Glastonbury then use it as a b-side for a single off the new album - and then never play it again or record a studio version.

I have a similar wish for Mercy - that we only ever get a studio version when the band puts together its from-the-vault box set (maybe to commemorate 40 years) and they include the 2004 version!

They first mentioned him in October, but that was in reference to having already been working with him for some time.

I highly doubt that U2 knocked up an entire album of entirely brand spanking new material with DM in that time. I bet a decent portion has evolved through all or some of the time from No Line to now. It sounded like they were working on stuff pretty consistently throughout that time. And they're certainly not a start from scratch/stop, start from scratch/stop, start from scratch/stop band.

No, the first mention of him was at the very end of November, at the start of the NZ/Australia tour.

No, the first mention of him was at the very end of November, at the start of the NZ/Australia tour.

The article was in Australian newspapers and mostly "Here comes 360" related, but the interview was from early October/article published in late October.

Progress killed the radio stars

It's also that article that mentions that they were working with Danger Mouse during that tour leg, jetting back every night (someone did suggest earlier that they thought it was after the tour stopped?) And although there's no evidence to suggest this, they might well have first started with him even before the tour began, at some point during that forced break.

let's hope we get some similar news articles this weekend.. that article in The Age was our last big taste of new album news

I think these songs won't be in the album, I think they were intended for Songs of Ascent, Songs Of Ascent is not going to happen, but they liked these songs and didn't want to throw them away so they were debuted acoustically and I hope we'll get a studio version of them as B-sides, I can't see them in the album, especially Mercy, so well known from so long ago that it was the highest voted song in their site when they asked the fans for songs we wanted them to play.

My bet is that Mercy, EBW, NS, and maybe even Glasto will be on the new album. The band wants solid songs, and the first three of these are excellent singles.

We must all remember, we don't consider these songs "new" but the entire rest of the world will. EBW, and NS are too strong to not do anything with.

Also, I think that with DM's input all of these songs could make them sound so new and inetresting and fresh that they could feel totally new when the albun comes out.

And as far as Mercy being "well known," again, it's only well known for a tiny pocket of hardcore fans. We must think outside of our U2 mania bubble...

We must think outside of our U2 mania bubble...

you ask the impossible :wink:

05.jpg

My bet is that Mercy, EBW, NS, and maybe even Glasto will be on the new album. The band wants solid songs, and the first three of these are excellent singles.

We must all remember, we don't consider these songs "new" but the entire rest of the world will. EBW, and NS are too strong to not do anything with.

Also, I think that with DM's input all of these songs could make them sound so new and inetresting and fresh that they could feel totally new when the albun comes out.

And as far as Mercy being "well known," again, it's only well known for a tiny pocket of hardcore fans. We must think outside of our U2 mania bubble...

Maybe it is like you say, EBW and NS weren't finished versions last summer and they could have evolved from that incarnation to a different form, I'd like to have all of them properly finished and recorded, they were very promising, but I really think that Mercy and Glastonbury have no chance.

Glastonbury is fun in a concert, but it's just a tribute thingy to the history of the festival, I don't know how it can fit in a U2 album, and Mercy is very well known, not only in the U2 forums, it's been in internet since 2004, when people download music from an artist they don't select the songs they download, they rip the whole discography, all the recordings they can grab, everybody with a little interest in U2 know this song by now, at least the older version, my 13-year students know it, this is how things work these times.

Remember Munich last summer, a whole stadium singing the chorus of NS (a point for it to be in the album, I know) do you think that the 70,000 people there were hardcore fans? I think it is more likely they were listening to the new songs in internet just because they were going to the concert.

The article was in Australian newspapers and mostly "Here comes 360" related, but the interview was from early October/article published in late October.

Progress killed the radio stars

It's also that article that mentions that they were working with Danger Mouse during that tour leg, jetting back every night (someone did suggest earlier that they thought it was after the tour stopped?) And although there's no evidence to suggest this, they might well have first started with him even before the tour began, at some point during that forced break.

"We have about 12 songs with Danger Mouse," Bono says. "It's the album we'll likely put out next because it's just happening so easily."

"Each night on this tour, we'd fly out of a show and go straight into the studio," Bono says of the Danger Mouse sessions.

The way this sounds is they worked on their own during the Europe leg (and earlier during Bono's back rehab - that two month-ish break), and enlisted DM right after the Europe leg ended. U2 usually record on their own before enlisting a definite producer. It would also explain the sudden switch from SOA talk to DM talk.

So that's time from May 2010 (start of rehab and recording) - January 2011 (when Danger Mouse was "wrapping up"). Not enough for a full album ? :shrug:

Remember Munich last summer, a whole stadium singing the chorus of NS (a point for it to be in the album, I know) do you think that the 70,000 people there were hardcore fans? I think it is more likely they were listening to the new songs in internet just because they were going to the concert.

one of the best moments of the 360 machine! :applaud:

If we take Bono's description of the DM work (Airborne, light), I don't think NS or EBW fit that mold, at least the way they played them live (even stripped down they were slower songs).

I hope the next album is a bit more airborne, or lively. I'd prefer to get new sounds from Edge, less rings, or at least use some new effects to drown out the standard Edge tone (like on albums AB/Zooropa/Pop). I really don't mind his style at all, despite the bitching :)....but even JT album is a bit tough at times because of the chimey clangy sound on every single song.

I also would prefer he get away from his little obsession with Zep riffs and go back to just Edge riffs which are still basic as shit, but loaded with effects are pretty freaking cool. And it seems Edge has really fallen in love with the slide effect. Almost every solo he's done lately seems to have a slide, and while it's great (see MW live), not ever song needs it!

I've already stated I'd love to hear a Adam driven song, and NLOTH had better effort from Mr Larry Mullen, want that to continue.

As for Bono.....to me he's been a bit of the weak link over the past two albums. His voice has actually been very strong, strongest in many years, but his lyrics and his constant use of certain words (Love, Kneel ;) ) get a bit tiring. And seemed like every song now has a standard Bono yell to either get through a chorus, or the middle section. Less yelling, more opportunity for the band to doodle

Bit surprised we've heard nothing from the SA press. Three full days and nothing? Guess we can take that as possible good news towards a new album. If U2 wasn't planning on a new album this year, wouldn't it make sense they'd already be in SA for rehearsals, or just out doing their own thing? Maybe they're still holed up in France recording and trying to finish before they HAVE to rehearse.

Bit surprised we've heard nothing from the SA press. Three full days and nothing? Guess we can take that as possible good news towards a new album. If U2 wasn't planning on a new album this year, wouldn't it make sense they'd already be in SA for rehearsals, or just out doing their own thing? Maybe they're still holed up in France recording and trying to finish before they HAVE to rehearse.

I hope you are right, U2 haven't been fans of rehearsing so it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't just kicking back and enjoying life.

If we take Bono's description of the DM work (Airborne, light), I don't think NS or EBW fit that mold, at least the way they played them live (even stripped down they were slower songs).

I hope the next album is a bit more airborne, or lively. I'd prefer to get new sounds from Edge, less rings, or at least use some new effects to drown out the standard Edge tone (like on albums AB/Zooropa/Pop). I really don't mind his style at all, despite the bitching :)....but even JT album is a bit tough at times because of the chimey clangy sound on every single song.

I also would prefer he get away from his little obsession with Zep riffs and go back to just Edge riffs which are still basic as shit, but loaded with effects are pretty freaking cool. And it seems Edge has really fallen in love with the slide effect. Almost every solo he's done lately seems to have a slide, and while it's great (see MW live), not ever song needs it!

I've already stated I'd love to hear a Adam driven song, and NLOTH had better effort from Mr Larry Mullen, want that to continue.

As for Bono.....to me he's been a bit of the weak link over the past two albums. His voice has actually been very strong, strongest in many years, but his lyrics and his constant use of certain words (Love, Kneel ;) ) get a bit tiring. And seemed like every song now has a standard Bono yell to either get through a chorus, or the middle section. Less yelling, more opportunity for the band to doodle

I think it's interesting how vague terms like "airborne" and "light" are, because I have a completely different interpretation. I actually think NS and EBW do fit those terms, because when I think of airborne and light I think of songs like Summer Rain, In a Little While, etc.

I guess we'll see what happens, excited nonetheless.

I think it's interesting how vague terms like "airborne" and "light" are, because I have a completely different interpretation. I actually think NS and EBW do fit those terms...

Yeah, I agree. When I think of airborne and light, North Star and Every Breaking Wave are exactly what I think of. Simple, weightless, etherial, spiritual.

Beal is interpreting "airborne" to mean "lively." But when Bono is talking about a "lively" departure from the earth, he says "flight." "Nothing like a rock and roll band in full flight," he often says. This is rock music like a jet engine.

But "airborne" is how you'd describe microbial agents that travel on dust. Airborne is a feather that defies gravity. A hot air balloon. Simply put, airborne is Project Zero One.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom